Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Birdguides new system

Old Wednesday 26th July 2017, 11:03   #76

My Phone app is still not behaving itself!!!! Pants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Wednesday 26th July 2017, 14:32   #77
rmielcarek

I can currently view the free content without the need to actually log-in whereas if I want to submit a sighting I have to log-in. Bizarre. They obviously don't want free information.

Also I see there are records today of Western Osprey - has there been a split from an Eastern Osprey?

According to the blurb the website 'has been designed specifically for birders like you' so I'm sorry if I've messed it up for all you others

Rich
Old Wednesday 26th July 2017, 15:02   #78
jpoyner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis20126 View Post
The new format seems entirely set up to drive advertising revenue through the side bars (eg Mail Online) rather than deliver a pre-paid subscriber service. It seems incredible that Bird Guides have greatly reduced the utility and functionality of a pre-paid subscription service. If it was a free-service supported by the ad revenues, then fine, but to change the model mid subscription seems unwise and potentially contrary to various trading standards and legal requirements.

cheers, alan
Probably why it's still a lot cheaper than the rival service. Personally I don't mind seeing a few ads if it saves me paying an extra 70 a year for exactly the same bird news. I'm seeing the bird news ok and getting alerts, that's all I want, not really bothered about the layout....perhaps I'm just easily pleased !
Old Wednesday 26th July 2017, 15:35   #79
Sharp Shin
Stewart Belfield

Having panned the website in my earlier post (#69), I've been using the new Birdguides app on my phone and it seems OK: uncluttered, lists bird species first; and - by allowing it to use my location - I can view the list of local birds quite straightforwardly. So, I give the website thumbs down, and the app (which replaces the old 'Bird News Anywhere') a thumbs up, so far.

Stewart
Old Wednesday 26th July 2017, 15:46   #80
paz

seems very mean not to give a location any more, just a county - makes the site almost useless

I recall they tried this a few years ago and dropped it after myriad complaints - after all the news they get from birders is free

Paz
Old Wednesday 26th July 2017, 18:53   #81
Bubbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
after all the news they get from birders is free
Exactly.
Old Wednesday 26th July 2017, 19:01   #82
Sharp Shin
Stewart Belfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
seems very mean not to give a location any more, just a county - makes the site almost useless

I recall they tried this a few years ago and dropped it after myriad complaints - after all the news they get from birders is free

Paz
In part, this is this a fair point about Birdguides getting some of their news for free. But:

They get much, if not most, of their news from trawling other sources - twitter, county databases (such as that run by Essex BwS, and no doubt RBA.

Accepting reports only from registered subscribers ensures at least some degree of authenticity and traceability to reports. (Helping to avoid the rest of being misled by a host of innocent or mischievous mis-reporting!)

However 'over-commercialed' the new site might appear, they do have to cover costs and pay wages, so it would be naive to expect them to provide all the information for free.
Old Wednesday 26th July 2017, 19:05   #83
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoyner View Post
....perhaps I'm just easily pleased !
.......all 70 worth.
Old Wednesday 26th July 2017, 19:21   #84
Mark Batten

App working. Appears not much different to before. Website there if I want to look at it. Texts set up for Mega's - no Mega's yet to check if working. Helpful people at birdguides to sort a few minor hiccups - looks to be working from here :-)
Old Wednesday 26th July 2017, 19:27   #85
Mark Batten

Want is not required is 28 text alerts relating to some escaped Pelican flying round Cornwall as a Cleveland birder got last year at great expense! Not birdguides mind :-)
Old Thursday 27th July 2017, 09:13   #86
wolfbirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Batten View Post
Want is not required is 28 text alerts relating to some escaped Pelican flying round Cornwall as a Cleveland birder got last year at great expense! Not birdguides mind :-)
I didn't realise there were 2 (:-
Fav Birds - Hen/Pallid/Monty Harrier, Gyrfalcon, Great Grey Owl, Hobby, Golden Eagle, Merlin, SE Owl, Pom Skua, Hawfinch, Wryneck, Redstart, Shrikes, Roller, Bee-eater's, Nightjar, Smew, GN & BT Diver, Spotted Redshank, any Warblers (especially yank ones)!
Old Thursday 27th July 2017, 10:21   #87
Jasonbirder
Jason-occasional-twitcher

Not at all impressed...I thought at first it was me...that I just couldn't find the functionality I wanted and needed to play around to "get-it"
BUT actually the functionality of the new site is WORSE than the old site...
You can't simply "Order" the records by clicking the top a column...as you can do with just about every web-page or spreadsheet that exists...
On the old site I had it ordered by "Rarity" so when I looked it would be Mega's at the top...Rares next...and so on till you get down to 400 records of inland Little Egrets etc...
Now you either have to set up a filter...so can't simply scroll through in descending order of rarity...or read hundreds of individual records to find anything interesting...
RBA it is from now on...though like a dope I did purchase a long-term subscription to keep the cost down...wasted money!!!!
Old Thursday 27th July 2017, 12:44   #88
NAB
Neil Blood - UK 432 (BOU) Semipalmated Sandpiper

Why don't people switch to Rare Bird Alert Pro, not the cheapest option, but App wise its certainly the best
Old Thursday 27th July 2017, 14:53   #89
Mark Batten

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAB View Post
Why don't people switch to Rare Bird Alert Pro, not the cheapest option, but App wise its certainly the best
What is actually wrong with the BirdGuides App? Get news which is easy to read and a text for breaking Mega's. If you are a twitcher not sure you require much more?
Old Thursday 27th July 2017, 16:34   #90
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbirder View Post
I didn't realise there were 2 (:-
Nearly spat my tea out!

John
Old Thursday 27th July 2017, 18:37   #91
Sharp Shin
Stewart Belfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Batten View Post
What is actually wrong with the BirdGuides App? Get news which is easy to read and a text for breaking Mega's. If you are a twitcher not sure you require much more?
This has been my point. For registered users, the app is perfectly fine. It's the website that needs fixing so that users can find the information they need in the way they like to view it. This is currently lacking, but I reckon it could be easily fixed: reintroducing the ability to sort the data (by county, megas first, or whatever suits you); and having the species name the clearest, boldest thing you see. I have written to Birdguides about this and I'm fairly optimistic now that changes and improvements will be made. They are easy changes, with no costs. Fingers crossed.

Stewart
Old Thursday 27th July 2017, 22:55   #92
KenM

Just a thought....If one has to pay to find out "where" in the county the rare resides, shouldn't the finder...expect remuneration as well? After all..."what's good for the goose"......or should the "silent" kudos be sufficient?
Old Thursday 27th July 2017, 23:06   #93
Mark Batten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp Shin View Post
This has been my point. For registered users, the app is perfectly fine. It's the website that needs fixing so that users can find the information they need in the way they like to view it. This is currently lacking, but I reckon it could be easily fixed: reintroducing the ability to sort the data (by county, megas first, or whatever suits you); and having the species name the clearest, boldest thing you see. I have written to Birdguides about this and I'm fairly optimistic now that changes and improvements will be made. They are easy changes, with no costs. Fingers crossed.

Stewart
For local news I tend to check various twitter feeds. The birdnews companies do this also.
Old Thursday 27th July 2017, 23:54   #94
Andrew Clarke

I've just registered for the free trial and viewing on my iPhone I must say I quite like the look and feel of it. The old site was looking a little dated. Hopefully BirdGuides will consider any feedback from disgruntled users and tweak the site accordingly.
Old Friday 28th July 2017, 10:02   #95
rmielcarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp Shin View Post
Accepting reports only from registered subscribers ensures at least some degree of authenticity and traceability to reports. (Helping to avoid the rest of being misled by a host of innocent or mischievous mis-reporting!)
But much of the content is taken from other sites, Twitter etc, without any validity check.

Birdguides load all their records onto BirdTrack, which becomes available to local county recorders etc. Unfortunately the recorders have no way to trace the records back to a source in order to get any confirmatory notes.

Rich M
Old Monday 31st July 2017, 10:01   #96
wolfbirder

Still don't like the lay out, very user unfriendly, visually clumsy compared to previous.

Disappointingly despite two direct email requests to RBA over past week, to trial their system again, had no response at all.
Fav Birds - Hen/Pallid/Monty Harrier, Gyrfalcon, Great Grey Owl, Hobby, Golden Eagle, Merlin, SE Owl, Pom Skua, Hawfinch, Wryneck, Redstart, Shrikes, Roller, Bee-eater's, Nightjar, Smew, GN & BT Diver, Spotted Redshank, any Warblers (especially yank ones)!
Old Monday 31st July 2017, 10:52   #97
Rare Bird Alert

Quote:
Still don't like the lay out, very user unfriendly, visually clumsy compared to previous.

Disappointingly despite two direct email requests to RBA over past week, to trial their system again, had no response at all.
Hi
Trying to send you a private message but it says your inbox is full.
Thanks
Old Monday 31st July 2017, 10:59   #98
wolfbirder

Maybe that explains why I've had no response? In fairness.

Though not sure why you are trying to reply on here as opposed to using my email address provided. But I accept there may be a reason......
Old Monday 31st July 2017, 12:07   #99
Rare Bird Alert

Quote:
Maybe that explains why I've had no response? In fairness.

Though not sure why you are trying to reply on here as opposed to using my email address provided. But I accept there may be a reason......
Have sent you a private message.
Thanks
Old Monday 31st July 2017, 12:53   #100
wolfbirder

All received, it wasn't that RBA weren't replying, my emails were going to spam and we all know how easy it is to miss these for a few days.

Looking forward to trialling it. Thank you .
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: