Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Birdwatcher's Diary RIP?

Old Sunday 17th September 2017, 22:46   #1
gdhunter

Birdwatcher's Diary RIP?

For years I've used the Steven's Creek app Birdwatcher's Diary to tally my daily field sightings. Am using an iPod Touch 4G so haven't been able to fully update, but the app has flawlessly fulfilled its purpose.

Daily lists can be archived at Dropbox with a simple output choice. A couple of months ago I received notice from Dropbox that certain apps are not updated to support certain Dropbox protocol changes after late September 2017, and among those apps is Birdwatcher's Diary.

Have tried repeatedly to get an answer from Steven's Creek, but even a courtesy reply has not been forthcoming. Best case they're working on the problem but just lousy communicators; worst (and perhaps more probable) case they care about neither the problem nor the customer.

I speculate that Birdwatcher's Diary is no longer a supported app.

Gary H
Old Friday 22nd September 2017, 21:25   #2
Banko

Anyone with any news on this, I have emailed the devs but no reply.
Old Saturday 23rd September 2017, 19:01   #3
aegithalos

No news. But mine does appear to be still archiving to Dropbox. And it is working fine on iOS 11, which suggests the developers anticipated the iOS 11 file format changes sometime ago (not all developers did), implying a long-term commitment. On the other hand, no Facebook activity since Feb 2017, and no BD updates (iOS or Android) since Mar 2017 ...
Old Monday 25th September 2017, 02:32   #4
gdhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegithalos View Post
No news. But mine does appear to be still archiving to Dropbox. ...

The email I received from Dropbox specified Sept 28 as the date of imminent conflict: "making some changes to Dropbox that will likely affect the following 3rd party apps linked to your Dropbox account: Birdwatcher's Diary".

I haven't recently downloaded from their site any region or state list. If recent taxonomic changes are incorporated, that MIGHT suggest some continued level of support.

I'm pessimistic that an easy one-touch Dropbox output option will function as it has in the past after 9/28.

Gary H
Old Friday 29th September 2017, 03:53   #5
gdhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdhunter View Post
I'm pessimistic that an easy one-touch Dropbox output option will function as it has in the past after 9/28.
The invariably trouble-free one-touch upload failed when I tried to send today's sightings list to Dropbox.

Gary H
Old Friday 29th September 2017, 06:06   #6
aegithalos

My records from yesterday uploaded OK, but I did get a warning from Dropbox.

Stevens Creek have just posted this on their Facebook page:

"A number of our apps are temporarily without access to Dropbox because of changes in the Dropbox API. We hope to have updates for all of them available in a few weeks. In the meantime, all are still usable since all have alternate means of input and output, and/or can be used (at least for a while) without input or output. The one specific tip we’ll give is that, for Athlete’s Diary users accustomed to the effective sync between phone and desktop versions, until the problem is fixed you should definitely enter new entries on only one or the other platform (the desktop would be best), not both.
On another front, we are unaware of any problems arising from iOS 11, but do let us know if you encounter any."

Keith
Old Saturday 30th September 2017, 14:20   #7
Banko

Suppose that's good news, that it will be addressed.
BUT what terrible customer service.
Old Saturday 30th September 2017, 17:06   #8
gdhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banko View Post
Suppose that's good news, that it will be addressed. BUT what terrible customer service.
Agreed! The device I'm using doesn't support the current iOS, which might account for my failure rather than the warning Keith got.

It's a nice, fairly intuitive & quite useful app. Not sure I'd spend anything for a new Stevens Creek product, though.

Gary H
Old Saturday 30th September 2017, 19:57   #9
John Fleet
270 and counting!

similar experience - emailed them twice in the last year without the courtesy of a reply. Big contrast to previous years when their software support was pretty good. No excuse for not even acknowledging customer's support requests.
Old Monday 2nd October 2017, 10:48   #10
aegithalos

The Dropbox upload is now not working for me. I only used this as a backup - I primarily use other output methods - so it doesn't bother me particularly. But am concerned that the matter has been left unattended until it broke, and general lack of activity from Stevens Creek. Birdwatcher's Diary is a nice piece of software, shame if it withered by neglect. However, I am taking this as a warning and looking at other options.

Keith
Old Monday 2nd October 2017, 11:00   #11
John Fleet
270 and counting!

Quote:
My records from yesterday uploaded OK, but I did get a warning from Dropbox.

Stevens Creek have just posted this on their Facebook page:

"A number of our apps are temporarily without access to Dropbox because of changes in the Dropbox API. We hope to have updates for all of them available in a few weeks. In the meantime, all are still usable since all have alternate means of input and output, and/or can be used (at least for a while) without input or output. The one specific tip we’ll give is that, for Athlete’s Diary users accustomed to the effective sync between phone and desktop versions, until the problem is fixed you should definitely enter new entries on only one or the other platform (the desktop would be best), not both.
On another front, we are unaware of any problems arising from iOS 11, but do let us know if you encounter any."

Keith
What page are you looking at Keith? - I've been to the Birdwatchers Diary Facebook page and the last entry there is ref an update to the Android version - dated March this year...

John
Old Monday 2nd October 2017, 17:11   #12
aegithalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fleet View Post
What page are you looking at Keith? - I've been to the Birdwatchers Diary Facebook page and the last entry there is ref an update to the Android version - dated March this year...

John
https://www.facebook.com/StevensCreekSoftware/

Keith
Old Tuesday 3rd October 2017, 19:50   #13
John Fleet
270 and counting!

received this today in response to my query as to when we might expect a fix to the Dropbox problem:

'We are targeting the end of the month; we have many apps to update on multiple platforms.'

.. so there is some life at Stevens Creek...
Old Tuesday 3rd October 2017, 20:32   #14
gdhunter

Quote:
.. so there is some life at Stevens Creek...
And yet no response yet to any of my three emails inquiries. Fingers crossed.

Gary H
Old Wednesday 4th October 2017, 07:06   #15
Banko

I had the email from them yesterday.
It's such a fantastic piece of software, I hope all's well for the future.
Old Thursday 26th October 2017, 06:15   #16
aegithalos

Latest from https://www.facebook.com/StevensCreekSoftware/:

"Dropbox update: We've been working hard on the problem of switching over to the new Dropbox APIs now that the original ones are no longer supported by Dropbox. It was slow going at first, there are many changes (the underlying interface, i.e. the API, is very different, even though to you as the user there won't be any difference). We've finally made some breakthroughs and are now moving as fast as we can. We were hopeful to have things ready by Nov. 1, and while it's clear we're not going to meet that deadline, we should be able to have apps updated by the middle of November. We appreciate your patience."

Keith
Old Friday 17th November 2017, 19:07   #17
aegithalos

Birdwatcher's Diary 8.0 for iPhone/iPad now on App store. Dropbox archiving seems to work too. Android promised later.

https://www.facebook.com/BirdwatchersDiary/

Keith
Old Friday 17th November 2017, 19:15   #18
John Fleet
270 and counting!

Quote:
Birdwatcher's Diary 8.0 for iPhone/iPad now on App store. Dropbox archiving seems to work too. Android promised later.

https://www.facebook.com/BirdwatchersDiary/

Keith
Good news and good to see that they've finally fixed the bug with uploading to eBird - shame that took over a year during which time they didn't even acknowledge the issue...
Old Tuesday 19th December 2017, 15:00   #19
gdhunter

Quote:
Good news and good to see that they've finally fixed the bug with uploading to eBird - shame that took over a year during which time they didn't even acknowledge the issue...
Though my repeated inquiries were never answered, my BWD archiving problem was solved when I recently moved up to a device that supports the current iOS. Sent my day's report to Dropbox. Had to log in again & then confirm in an email that it was I trying to log in, but after that the flow was smooth.

However, I did NOT see an option for uploading to eBird.

Gary H
Old Tuesday 19th December 2017, 19:07   #20
Banko

If you click on the 3 dots, bottom right, there should be the option 'upload to ebird'.
Old Thursday 21st December 2017, 02:17   #21
gdhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banko View Post
If you click on the 3 dots, bottom right, there should be the option 'upload to ebird'.
I'm running version 8.0.1 for iPod Touch and the only options in the lower right are the calculator (for selecting the number of birds seen) and sort order. The only output choices are:

Write to iTunes
ftp upload to internet
email
Write to Dropbox [which now works flawlessly]
Copy to Clipboard

Perhaps there are additional options on versions other than the one for iPod Touch.

Thanks.

Gary H
Old Thursday 21st December 2017, 08:46   #22
John Fleet
270 and counting!

Gary
I'm on an iPhone so my screen may be different to what you see on an iPod Touch. I have (at the top of the screen) an Output tab which gives the eBird upload option - do you not have this? If not then I guess contacting BWD is the next step. As they no longer seem to bother to respond to emails perhaps a post on their Facebook page?

John
Old Thursday 21st December 2017, 14:17   #23
gdhunter

Quote:
Gary
I'm on an iPhone so my screen may be different to what you see on an iPod Touch. I have (at the top of the screen) an Output tab which gives the eBird upload option - do you not have this? If not then I guess contacting BWD is the next step. As they no longer seem to bother to respond to emails perhaps a post on their Facebook page?
I know it brands me as something akin to a Luddite, but I've managed to avoid the Facebook spell to date. I find an output tab (not on the main entry page) which points me to the options I listed at the end of my last post. I have submitted an inquiry to Stevens Creek but won't hold my breath.

Thanks.

Gary H
Old Friday 9th February 2018, 04:16   #24
John Fleet
270 and counting!

Looks as if direct upload to eBird is broken again - at least for me? - 'coincidentally' since the eBird site refresh last week. I know get an error message - 'Problem contacting eBird (poor internet connection?) - well it's certainly not that! Workaround for the moment for me seems to be to select the 'Write to Dropbox' option and then import that file from eBird (using the eBird record format (extended) option...)

Anyone else having the same issue? - I've emailed Stevens Creek, but true to their usual form they haven't bothered to respond....

John
Old Monday 12th February 2018, 18:43   #25
aegithalos

Quote:
Looks as if direct upload to eBird is broken again - at least for me? - 'coincidentally' since the eBird site refresh last week. I know get an error message - 'Problem contacting eBird (poor internet connection?) - well it's certainly not that! Workaround for the moment for me seems to be to select the 'Write to Dropbox' option and then import that file from eBird (using the eBird record format (extended) option...)

Anyone else having the same issue? - I've emailed Stevens Creek, but true to their usual form they haven't bothered to respond....

John
Stevens Creek have just posted this on the Birdwatcher's Diary FB page:

Quote:
eBird has recently (within the last week or so) changed their interface which is preventing Birdwatcher's Diary from directly uploading sightings. You get a message stating "Problem contacting eBird (poor Internet connection?)", which isn't actually the problem. We are looking into it. In the meantime, you can always upload the sightings as a file to a computer and then upload that file from your computer to eBird. Not as convenient, obviously. We'll keep you posted on a fix. In the meantime, enjoy this Cedar Waxwing.
Keith
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: