Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Issues with BirdTrack :(

Old Friday 6th April 2018, 10:27   #1
PJPro

Issues with BirdTrack :(

Hi.

I have set up an account on BirdTrack but am having difficulty submitting data to the database. Currently, the only thing that appears to work is the addition of locations.

I have submitted species records via the Android app but am unable to view them on my PC. Moreover, the record is not added to the map and when I attempt to explore my records, the tool says I don't have any!

I've also tried adding a casual listing using my PC. I couldn't enter the species name when using Chrome so had to use FireFox instead. Once I had entered the casual record I went to explore my records and, again, the tool said I didn't have any!

Is there a time delay when submitting data? The first record we submitted was yesterday but it still hasn't appeared in the tool. Do I have to go through some sort of approval / review process before I can enter data?

Have to say this is all rather frustrating and I am considering using a different tool to record my records (eBirds is looking good!).
Old Friday 6th April 2018, 10:45   #2
PJPro

I have sent a request for help to the BTO Bird Track Organiser.
Old Friday 6th April 2018, 23:38   #3
PJPro

Anyone got any ideas? We spent 3 hours doing a complete list (with counts) for Keyhaven today (48 species) along the 5km (red) route. This has been uploaded from our mobile phone (so has now disappeared from the phone) but isn't visible on the web app. The new location is listed but no species of any kind for any date or location.
Old Sunday 8th April 2018, 10:56   #4
PJPro

Our data (except for locations) has still not appeared in the Bird Track web app and we have yet to receive a reply from the administrator.
Old Wednesday 11th April 2018, 00:26   #5
PJPro

I can't believe the folks at BTO have still not got back to us regarding our issue.
Old Wednesday 11th April 2018, 22:00   #6
PJPro

BTO have finally got back to us. It seems the data was being loaded into the Bird Track Beta (Worldwide) portal rather than the UK Portal. This was not what we intended and we didn't do anything to make this happen.

Had a quick play with the Beta version, we find it less user friendly and more difficult to see species lists and reports. Apparently, the two portals will be combined into a single portal (the Worldwide version) in the near future.
Old Friday 13th April 2018, 20:33   #7
Surreybirder
Ken Noble

Personally, I use eBird and have never regretted it.
Old Wednesday 18th April 2018, 11:52   #8
wildgoose1uk

I had the same issue myself.... I am a bit of a sporadic birder and an even more sporadic recorder. I just carried on using Birdtrack because I had used it in the past. It now seems I have my data spread over two websites through nothing I have done!

I have trialled ebird a few times this week and it seems to work well (though not perfect) so I shall probably carry on with that. Pity... I had wanted to use Birdtrack because the SOC encourage it but as I understand it it makes little difference as Ebird and Birdtrack share data.
Old Wednesday 18th April 2018, 12:30   #9
Fat Paul Scholes
My real name is Mark Lewis

Do eBird and BirdTrack share data? I know it's been discussed but I wasn't aware that it was happening!
Old Wednesday 18th April 2018, 13:43   #10
wildgoose1uk

As far as I know they do... at least according to https://www.bto.org/news-events/news...ab-ornithology they do
Old Wednesday 18th April 2018, 18:10   #11
Fat Paul Scholes
My real name is Mark Lewis

In spite of that declaration of good intentions, I’m pretty sure that there is no functioning data sharing process between eBird and BirdTrack. As far as I’m aware, any data entered into eBird does not make its way to county recorders - which suggests it’s not getting as far as BirdTrack.
Old Wednesday 18th April 2018, 19:11   #12
njlarsen
Opus Editor

In the past, those kinds of data collaboration protocols have meant having a third place where it was possible to search through both datasets together - but usually with some delay. That also means that the data from one source did not become part of the dataset at the other source. I do not have inside info, so I do not know which model for collaboration was discussed between Ebird and Birdtrack.

Niels

Just moved to Barbados

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 11th May 2018, 22:02   #13
Surreybirder
Ken Noble

Last I h eard there were some 'issues' between BTO and Cornell - someone at the BTO told me that they were worried about sensitive breeding data being put into eBird. I don't know whether that has anything to do with data sharing but it is why, to my understanding, BTO is spending a lot of (in my view unnecessary) resources on setting up an international portal when eBird's is already far more used.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: