• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coolpix P series? (1 Viewer)

Agreed, Avan. These are good digiscopes! You found good equipment in combination, and learned quickly how to optimize them.

Let me ask, Avan, after reviewing all your posts in this thread, you have 30x e.p., but will you describe to us how much zoom, if any, is necessary of the P1 to eliminate vignette. Could you also describe the vignette amount, with the camera on full wide angle (1x), assuming you mount or hold it as close or as far as necessary from the eyepiece glass to make the vignette as small as it will get (best case scenario.) Thanks much.

Last edited:
with the combination of 30XDS eyepiece/FSB bracket and the P serie (also the 5900, 7900) there are no vignetting at all. With the 990 also no vignette and with the 4500 there a very slight vignetting at the beginning only and sometimes if the corner are darker you dont see it at all. The picture of the robbin are taken at camera widest angle.

Last edited:
home made bracket for the P serie

This is the bracket I made for my P1. It's made with an aluminum L shape plate, a Nikon UR-E6 extension tube and a 58-46mm step down ring. The Nikon tube are made for a 3X zoom camera (the P serie 3.5X), so the step ring give a couple of mm longer it need. The inner diameter of the tube it's also a bit larger than the metal ring of the camera, so I put 3 little strip of sel-adhesive velcro (soft side) in an Y position inside the tube at the larger opening to help of the alignment and a snug fit. finaly I made the shutter release arm in a swing away type. The extension tube it's glued with 24h epoxy to the aluminum plate. All it's made with electric hand saw (skillsaw), hand drill,file and a set of tap and die (metric a imperial). The adapter give a 28mm thread at the end for an eyepiece adapter like the eagleeye digimount.
Hope this help to other.

Attachments

• DSCN1.jpg
    DSCN1.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 189
  • DSCN2.jpg
    DSCN2.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 213
  • DSCN3.jpg
    DSCN3.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
It's the same P1, mine are 8mp, black. Anyway this bracket can fit any camera of the P serie, as the most important part are the extension tube that can fit the lens of the P.

Some recent results from the P4 handholding to the Leica APO77 using the roll-of-tape adapter. All these and more available in larger format by clicking on pics on my blog:
http://www.thenaturalstone.blogspot.com/

Attachments

• robin_8apr06_420_10.jpg
    robin_8apr06_420_10.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 290
  • fulmar_8apr06_420_10.jpg
    fulmar_8apr06_420_10.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 213
  • guillemots_8apr06_420_10.jpg
    guillemots_8apr06_420_10.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 212
  • oystercatchers_10apr06_420_10a.jpg
    oystercatchers_10apr06_420_10a.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 188
  • oystercatcher_10apr06_420_10c.jpg
    oystercatcher_10apr06_420_10c.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 215
Beautiful picture's Brian ... Very very nice m8, ;) , The "P" Serie's is definetly doing
a very good job for Digiscoping, Well done,

Avan ... That is excellent, I would buy that in an instance!!, Very well made,
I was admiring it just and noticed a Shutter Bracket!, ... Now that is a good idea,
I've tried making One myself but with no luck to be honest, That look's Shop quality
or better m8, If you ever consider selling these ... Please put me down for One,
I would so like One of those ... It would fit the 7900 a treat!, And the P4 i'm getting ;) , I just don't have the tool's to do this type of craftsmanship, Very clean,
Great adapter ... Want to sell One? lol, ;) ,
Thank's for the Pm too ... Very appreciated Alain,
Take Care,

Thanks for your comments regarding the bracket, but I don't think to go in production mode. My idea was to give an exemple of what it's possible for the handy(wo)man to make one themself. The problem also are that every camera of the 5900, 7900 to every P model of the serie have a different body, it's why you got 3 different FSB bracket (maybe a fourth for the P3-4), and so the base of the L shape plate differ from model to model of camera. If you don't have in hand a particuliar model, you can't positioning the lens hole.

You have a point there lol ... I thought that all "P" series and 7900's etc
Body's were the same ... No idea why i thought that,
It's still a excellent adapter ... One that i'm sure i'm going to copy some how,
Could you tell me a little more about the Tube and thread at the front please
... As i have a Eagle adapter for the 4500 which as a 28mm thread on it and
i'm sure this would work, Scopetronix do a similar adapter like your's but your's
seem's a lot stronger and the Shutter cable arm is a bonus,
I've attached a picture of the Eagle adapter ... Don't think Eagle done it but
it's very much the same,
Thank's Alain,

Attachments

• EagleTypeAdapter.jpg
    EagleTypeAdapter.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 228
"No idea why I thought that" : Because they all look like the same.
This digimount adaptor from eagleeye can fit my bracket as it's made for the CP4500 with a 28mm thread. The UR-E6 tube are made for the CP5000 for the use of the different lens with 28mm thread Nikon made (wide angle, TC-ED3 telephoto lens, etc...)

brianhstone said:
Some recent results from the P4 handholding to the Leica APO77 using the roll-of-tape adapter. All these and more available in larger format by clicking on pics on my blog:
http://www.thenaturalstone.blogspot.com/

Very impressive, Brian. I now plan to order a P4. Some have said (on this forum or another) that shooting an IS camera braced or mounted on a tripod can damage the IS system if it is left on. Are you shooting through your roll-of-tape adapter with IS on? I will be shooting through Nikon Fieldscope III ED, and plan to buy a WA lens with the broad digiscoping eyecup. I will attempt to come up with something resembling your mount.

Jonathan B. said:
Some have said (on this forum or another) that shooting an IS camera braced or mounted on a tripod can damage the IS system if it is left on.
This is a silly urban legend. The first generation IS systems "needed" some shake to work properly (otherwise the IS caused image blurring). Modern systems should work even mounted on a tripod. But it is NOT possible to damage the IS just by holding the camera steady.

Best regards,

Ilkka

Most Nikon's VR lenses still "hate" tripods...The only one that works fine for me on a tripod is the 200-400.
I do not see how activating VR/IS while mounted on a tripod can cause any damage, even though there are some warnings in the Nikon literature (quite scaring...)

yossi said:
Most Nikon's VR lenses still "hate" tripods...
I think this is the case with the Canons as well. If you have a stable tripod, the "unstable" IS/VR element can only reduce sharpness - no matter how sophisticated it is.

Ilkka

Silly question ... Can you turn the "VR" ... "IS" ... Off?, So when mounted on the
Tripod it does'nt damage it if that is the case?,

Help needed! mating Burris with ((%

brianhstone said:
Although you can't focus as close with the P4 you do have 8 megapixels so resolution should be similar or better than the 995. The following shots show closeups taken with the 995 and P4 at their miniumum focus distance then cropped to show the same part of the frame. The same area at 1:1 is 624 pixels square on the P4 and 443 pixels on the 995. So in theory the P4 has better resolution. But you will note that the 995 is sharper. The settings are the same on both camera (normal for in-camera sharpening).

On the whole I'm fairly happy with the macro capability but it makes me appreciate just how good the 995 has been in this area.
I have followed your testing and noticed you have experience with the 995. I have a cheap Burris 20X by 50 and want to connect the 995 with it. (very limited budget) Have you any advice? Thanks!Jerry

jvanoyen said:
I have followed your testing and noticed you have experience with the 995. I have a cheap Burris 20X by 50 and want to connect the 995 with it. (very limited budget) Have you any advice? Thanks!Jerry
I actually don't know that scope ...
If possible could you attach a picture of it and the measurement's across
the Eyepiece ... This will help, Thank's and Take care,

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back