• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bluetit nest abandonment? (1 Viewer)

611b

A pair of bluetits spent a lot of time and energy building a nest in my birdbox on a tree at the bottom of my garden. I would see them regularly going in and out which gave me some joy as this was the first time I had nesting birds.
Since about four or five days ago there has been no visible sign of any activity whatsoever. This is very disappointing. Is is likely they would have abandoned it at such a late stage? There are no cats or other obvious predators except the odd sqirrel that climbs the tree, and on one occassion the pair fought off a woodpecker. (The box has a protective brass plate around the entrance hole so I know nothing got into the box)
Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

From the egg laying to fledging it is just over 2 weeks, so they probably have now left. Keep an eye out for some little light coloured BTs though as they don't go that far away.

Thanks for your thoughts. I have not wanted to go near the box in case I disturbed some them and caused them to abandon it. I thought it was illegal to disturb a nest until the Autumn when it will need cleaning out. (Perhaps someone could advise me on the "do's & don'ts in this respect? - I'm new to all this.
Thanks to all in advance.

If you don't see a Blue Tit visit the nest box for an hour or so then it's a fair bet that it is no longer being used. It is only illegal if you knowingly disturb nesting birds.

Good luck.

Steve

Thanks Steve.
I do have some good news in that the one other nest box in my garden still has an active (different) pair of blue tits and they keep returning to the box with insects in their beaks so there should be some chicks in the nest. Hopefully I'll see some of them soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back