• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I have dropped my FZ30!!! (1 Viewer)

Baron Birder

Disaster whilst using my tripod the camera fell off and I have damaged it so the zoom lens wont move.:C

Never having had a digital camera repaired I suspect the cost of repair would outweigh the cost of a new camera?

I am very tempted to buy a second hand FZ30 on ebay because
the iq is better than the FZ100 (despite its v fast burst mode)
I like the moveable viewing screen which more recent models dont have e.g fz35 or fz100
I like the zoom and manual focus ring
Its heavy enough to be stable and I can continue to use my Olympus t-co 1.7

Is the second hand fz30 the right course; or have ex fz30 owners upgraded or changed to something better? My gut reaction from the many reviews I have read is that the FZ30 IQ is unsurpassed by the newer models.

Its quite a shock having to consider a change after 5 plus years with the same camera so you thoughts and help would be much appreciated.:t::t:

If going down 2nd hand route i would consider fz50, fuji s100fs or s200exr
If buying new consider fuji hs10, has manual zoom and focus, pull out screen and 720mm.
also check out image resource to compare cameras
Do you crop photos or use digital zoom?

If going down 2nd hand route i would consider fz50, fuji s100fs or s200exr
If buying new consider fuji hs10, has manual zoom and focus, pull out screen and 720mm.
also check out image resource to compare cameras
Do you crop photos or use digital zoom?

Thanks Steve

I do crop as often the bird is too small in the image but never use digital zoom

There's an FZ50 for sale (23.11.2010) by a regular contributor on my local Yahoo birding group :

I'm selling a Panasonic FZ50. (I've owned 2 and I sold the first last year) I think a reasonable
price is £160 but if anybody thinks that I've got it wrong I'm happy to listen.

It's in good condition other than the silver paint has rubbed off on two bottom corners.

I'll include a 2GB SD card and a selection of third party batteries. It has its
original box and everything that came with it, cables, software and
instructions. There is a new battery charger and a well used soft case.

I am also selling some very useful accessories which work very well this camera

An Olympus TCon 1.7 teleconvertor which was used for a lot of the bird shots. . This a great piece of kit giving great reach and unlike DSLR teleconvertors you don't use light. £45

Raynox DCR150 clip-on macro conversion lens £25

Raynox DCR250 clip-on macro conversion lens £15 (small scratch on lens which can't be seen on pictures.

Many of the extreme close ups in the insect folder were taken with these including some creatures no more than a couple of mm in size.

Minolta No 0 close up lens £20, this is a very useful tool and can be used in conjunction with the Raynoxs and the Oly TCon. This a very scarce much sought after item.

If anybody wants the lot I'd take £240

Pictures taken with this camera here.
I can PM you an email addy if you are interested.

Yes it is - sorry - misread the original post. Bloody good camera and a bargain though!

BTW I thought the FZ100 DID have a moveable LCD?

Sean

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back