• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minolta 200mm F2.8 G lens (1 Viewer)

alan_rymer

United Kingdom
I have a Sony a65 ( and love it ) and have been using a Tamron 200-500 and a Sigma 400mm 5.6 APO. My a700 busted the autofocus, on the Sigma so I have been using it manual focus ( its a nice lens ). After unexpectedly recieving 24 days holiday pay ( I was a contractor and didn't realise I was being paid it, and never invoiced for it! ) I decided to splash out on a new Sony 70-400 f5.6 SSM II G lens. Its arrived and I love it, but its new, not waterproof and "my precious baby" ( I'm thinking of buying it a baby blue lenscover ), so it comes out in its bag and is only fitted when I feel the urge and the weather is fine and bright.
Anyway, to get to the subject lens in the title.

I had read on Dyxum how good the Minolta 200mm F2.8 G lens was and saw a reasonably low priced one on the well known auction site, and bid on it ( I didn't expect to get it as my bid was low ), I won the action. Anyway its arrived. I didn't realise how short and light it was!. Anyhoo, With a x2 converter giving me 400mm and stopped down to F8 it seem as sharp, or sharper then the 70-400, the autofocus isn't bad ( it hunts in dull conditions, is noisy and I havn't worked out how the focus limiter works at the long end ), its nowhere near as heavy as the sigma 400. It is a fantastic lens not even taking into account it was made in 1986, I think its going to get a lot more usage than the Sony 70-400.

I now have to sell my Tammy and Sigma! to help offset the cost

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back