• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Scope using Gitzo 3532LS (1 Viewer)

flomog

Hi.. Ive decided to take the jump and go for a ATX 85. if im going all this way i would like to pair it with a very good set up, in terms of tripod and head. is the gitzo 3532LS a good match? if so what head? any thoughts or advice welcome. thanks in advance

I use it's predecessor the GT3530LS and it makes an excellent stable mount for your scope. These Systematic tripods are some of the most stable and vibration free tripods going.
One thing to bear in mind though is that you have to adjust all 3 legs to change the height so you may wish to consider the "Mountaineer" version for scope use, I am happy to live without a center column but many are not.

I use a Manfrotto 701 HDV which I find pretty good but I am sure there are better options these days.

Any three series Gitzo will be superb for your uses. I also have a 2 series Gitzo which is very good but the 3 series is noticeably better.

Last edited:
I use it's predecessor the GT3530LS and it makes an excellent stable mount for your scope. These Systematic tripods are some of the most stable and vibration free tripods going.
One thing to bear in mind though is that you have to adjust all 3 legs to change the height so you may wish to consider the "Mountaineer" version for scope use, I am happy to live without a center column but many are not.

I use a Manfrotto 701 HDV which I find pretty good but I am sure there are better options these days.

Any three series Gitzo will be superb for your uses. I also have a 2 series Gitzo which is very good but the 3 series is noticeably better.

Thanks John, I will check out the Mountaineer model. Light and practical will be the key for me

The 2 series Gitzo tripods are also well worth a look too.

I also have a Gitzo GT2531 (mountaineer) that I do use for landscape photography and occasional scope use. Whilst it it is not as good as a 3 series it is lighter and still vastly better than what I see other scope users using!

My personal preference is a 3 series model but the 2 series are still very good. Don't forget to look at other makes before you decide - there are some very nice tripods from the likes of Feisol and Sirui out there. I still prefer Gitzo but they are more expensive!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back