• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Florida in Winter (1 Viewer)

davidh

Hi folks,

I've got a two and a half week trip booked for Florida in January and I am trying to put together a good itinerary. I want to make this count as I'm unlikely to ever go again, so where should I go to get a good list ? I've already put Merritt Island, Sanibel Island, Honeymoon Island and the Everglades on the list. Are there any other suggestions ? I've rented a motorhome so I'm very flexible. How about Ocala or Paynes Prairie ?

I replied to an earlier posting today and mentioned the Great Florida Birding Trail Guides.
They cover a lot of Florida and give full details of birding locations,what to see and when best to visit,times,directions etc.
They are free and downloadable from the website at;
www.floridabirdingtrail.com
I find them invaluable.Hope this helps.

Be sure to visit cape coral while at sanibel island, they have a large population of burrowing owls, here's an email i just got from their chamber of commerce.

They occupy lots on almost every street in Cape Coral. There are some behind St Andrews Church on Del Prado, the Cape Coral Library and on SE 21st Street. Good luck

As for paynes prairie, the main park has not produced many birds for me, but i've never been in the winter, the La chua trail which is part of paynes prairie is great for birds like ibis, heron, egret, i've seen several species of ducks, including this whistling duck.

some birds at la chua trail that i've seen every time are great blue heron, cattle egret, little blue heron, white ibis, red winged blackbird, grackle, red shouldered hawk, moorhen. some i have seen more than on one occasion are loggerhead shrike, whistling duck, little green heron, anhinga, glossy ibis, stilt.

I'm sure i'm forgetting someone, a guranteed non bird is the florida alligator, they lay right on the trail, but will gladly move for you. The la chua trail is only a mere mile in length, but packed with birds. the best part is it's free. Paynes prairie state park however cost $3.

Attachments

• whistle.jpg
    whistle.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 208
If you drive down to Key West many extra species can be added. If you get to Key West a boat(Yankee Freedom) leaves almost every day for the Dry Tortugas. Go there to add Masked Booby, Sooty Tern and Brown Noddy. Just about anything is possible on the island which is home to Fort Jefferson. This trip is an adventure in itself!!

dennis

Andrew said:
Do Whistling Ducks actually whistle?

That is where they get their name, but i never heard them make a sound. I have seen those ducks three seperate time at the la chua trail.

David, according to the alachua audubon society site

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/aud/best.htm

the best time to bird paynes prairie(La chua trail) is in the winter, i know i'll be there atleast once a week this winter.

Davidh,
While at Sanibel I'm assuming you're planning for some time in Ding Darling Reserve. It is one of Florida's real hot spots. Roseate Spoonbills, all types of Herons and Egrets, and on and on.

And the everglades might be larger than you are expecting. There are a number of different entrances to it and some famous birding areas.

You're definitely picking the right time of the year for the trip.

Have fun,

Paulyoly,

That's a fantastic picture of the Black-bellied whistling duck. I saw my first ones last year on a trip to Puerta Vallarta, Mexico. We were at a small marsh where we had been told we might see whistling ducks. It was just before sunset and we had spotted several Black-bellied and one Fulvous whistling duck. Then the first flock of Black bellied whistling ducks came in to roost, then another flock and another. It was amazing seeing literally thousands of them coming in just as the sun was setting.

Another good spot in Florida is "The Cork Screw Swamp". There is a board walk there that winds its way through the swamp. Just about every conceiveable wader is there including both night-herons, wood stork, ibis, herons and egrets. Possibly a Limpkin. Photography possibilities here are probably better here than any other location in Florida. You will see Bald Eagles, Osprey and Barred Owl.
A little south from there is the Miccosukee (spelling) Restaurant where you can find the Snail Kite. On the south side of the road is the Shark River Area (Everglades) which is very good viewing. Birds to be seen here would be Short-tailed Hawk, moorhens, coots, gallinules, anhingas, swallow-tailed kites, etc.

Larry

Last edited:
Glad to see you have Merritt Island on your list. My brother-in-law is STILL talking about the place, after visiting during a holiday break a couple of years ago.

Dave, do you have accomodations lined up on Sanibel? I have a friend with a condo available for rentals on the opposite end of the island from Ding Darling (but only about 10 minutes from there), beachfront, near the lighthouse, backed by a nature preserve. It's a weekly rental.

And if you're interested in the care and rehabitation of wildlife, including birds, don't miss CROW, a wild animal hospital on Sanibel. They will do daily tours of their facilities.

Thanks for all your replies. I'm definately going to take in Sanibel (Ding Darling Reserve), Cork Screw Swamp and the Everglades. I intend to do a loop, arriving at Orlando, west to Merritt Island, north east to Paynes Prairie, then down the east coast via Honeymoon Island, Sanibel and eventually the Everglades. Then drive back to Orlando.

I have just under three weeks, so I'm trying to ensure that I'm not doing too much. I've hired a Motorhome (RV), so I'm very flexible, but must make sure I don't go too far north as I want to spend some time in the Everglades.

(Beverly, due to having hired a RV I won't need the condo but many thanks all the same).

Any further suggestion would be most welcome. Where's the best place to see a Red-Cockaded Woodpecker ? - Ocala ?

Many thanks,

Davidh.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back