• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Four Jewels in my patch today. (2 Viewers)

buckskin hawk

Oklahoma Birder
Within a matter of minutes while riding my pony in the pasture, I saw first a Cardinal chasing his mate. Then singing caught my attention from the top of a nearby tree -- Painted Bunting. Turning down the hill and over to the pond a American Goldfinch. Cantering over to the oil pump, I disturbed a bluebird which caught the light of the sun and shown like a jewel.

Northern Cardinal
Painted Bunting
American Goldfinch
Eastern Bluebird

Yes it was. Needed a green bird but I'm too far north for the Green Jays in south Texas. The pony is getting fat and so am I in this 100 degree heat. It is just too hot to exercise much but not too hot for ice cream.

I am hearing from other local birders that they are seeing more activity around water sources. We are experiencing a drought with high temperatures at the century mark. I was surprised at the Goldfinch's boldness. Usually the small songbirds aren't drinking out of the pond and the Goldfinch didn't even stop when we approached. We just stood and watched -- no need for bins.

"The pony is getting fat and so am I in this 100 degree heat. It is just too hot to exercise much but not too hot for ice cream."

I know the feeling.Here it's hot and damp and I have the same problem.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back