• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Boie brothers (1 Viewer)

l_raty

laurent raty
Currently the Key has:
boie / boiei
● Heinrich Boie (1784-1827) German zoologist, collector in Java 1825-1827 (Myzomela).
● Friedrich Boie (1789-1870) German lawyer, zoologist (?Celeus artefact, syn. Phalaenopsis brasiliana, syn. Phloeoceastes leucopogon).

Picus boiei Wagler 1827 [OD], syn. Phloecatses leucopogon: explicit dedication to Heinrich Boie ("[...] in honorem [...] Henrici Boiei [...]").
Picus boie Temminck 1829 [OD], this will presumably be the "?Celeus artefact": explicit dedication to the memory of a deceased Boié, hence (in 1829) necessarily Heinrich Boie.
Nectarinia (Myzolema) boiei Müller 1843 [OD], = Myzomela boiei: no explicit dedication, but "H. Boie" and "Heinr. Boie" appear a couple of times in the work, and on p. 234 he is said to have been a travel companion ("reisgenoot") of the author, so presumably indeed to Heinrich Boie as well.

Isn't the "syn. Phalaenopsis brasiliana" a mere misinterpretation of "Glaucidium Boiei" in Wied 1830 [here] ? (There is a card for this "name" in the Richmond Index.) Just like "Athene Boiei" [here], "Myioturdus Boiei" [here], or "Myiagrus Boiei" [here] in the same volume, I believe that this was not intended to be a binomen, but merely a genus-goup name (Glaucidium) with its author (Friedrich Boie) cited, old-style, in latinized form. The corresponding vernacular given by Wied ("Caburé's.") is plural; the description of the taxon is entirely in the plural as well, and largely limited to general structural and behavioural characteristics (as expectable for a generic diagnosis); the descriptions of the species of this group are written in the singular and start on the next page (with: "1. St. ferruginea. Das rostrothe Caburé.").

Do we really have a bird dedicated to Friedrich Boie alone ?

(Lestris boji Brehm 1824 [OD] (syn. Stercorarius parasiticus) was explicitly dedicated to both brothers ("beide Brüder Boje"), as noted in the Key. [And should thus in principle have been bojorum.])

Last edited:
To me it looks like we/someone ought to find an official Birth record, of "Heinrich" (Hinrich/Hendrik?) Boie. from Meldorff (or Meldorf), Dittmarschen, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany ... from 1794 or 1795.

Which, if so, also would, include his possible twin sister "Julia Constantia Maria Sophie" ...

He seems to have been the youngest Son of Heinrich (Hinrich?) Christian (Christiaan?) Boie (1744–1806) and his second wife Sara H. (Helena/Henriette?) von Hugo (1754–1842), ... however I am not all convinced he truly was all "German"? He (they) might have been of Danish origin? As their Father, at that time, apparently were more "Danish", than "German", or even "Prussian".

Either way; in my MS I simply left their "Nationality" of the picture, which was easily done, as none of them are commemorated in any Swedish Common (Vernacular) bird name. In my MS the Boie brothers are only mentioned in context, in connection to other birds.

Those guys I gladly leave in more capable hands ...

Good luck finding them!

Björn
--

Last edited:
You have to check The church books of Brunsbüttel and other places of the Elbe Marshes to find the truth about Heinrich:

Kirchenbüchern in Brunsbüttel und anderen Orten aus den Elbmarschen

The author wrote more about him here. His brother here and his father here.

I think the probability of Heinrich having a sibling from the same Mother being born exactly one year to the date before him is low. The author perhaps misread a handwritten birth record? Why do H. & F. Boie have only one name while the Mother and sister have four? Also I wonder if either of them named any bird, mammal or reptile after the Mother and sister?

Last edited:
As of now, even without a Birth record seen, I think we can forget about the Genealogy page/claim in post #4 (the "1795" part could very well be a typo, of a birth year/record that, if so, most likely also would include his twin sister, as twins most often are noted down simultaneously, in the same annotation) ...

In my mind, this far, it seems fairly safe to claim that boie/boiei does commemorate Heinrich Boie (1794–1827), a k a Hendrik, German zoologist and collector, Brother of Friedrich Boie, ... and onwards.

For what it´s worth.

But, as always; don't hesitate to prove me wrong!

However; also see the entry for their Father [Heinrich Christian Boie (1744–1806)] in Neue Deutsche Biographie, 1955 (here), which says the following, about his two (surviving) Sons:
Heinrich (1794–1827), Zoologe, Kustos am Reichsmuseum Leiden, 1825 Leiter einer holländischen Expedition nach Java, →Friedrich (1789–1870), Justitiar in Kiel, veröffentlichte ornithologische Abhandlungen in L. Okens „Isis“ (1822-35) und im „Journal für Ornithologie“ (1855-69).
Björn

PS. Mark, I´ve seen no trace of any other, middle names on either one of the Boie Brothers. Nor do I know of any animals dedicated to their Mother and/or sister. But sure, there might be, who knows?
--

Last edited:
Do we really have a bird dedicated to Friedrich Boie alone ?

After Laurent have taken all honor from Friedrich Boie maybe some honor in herpetology?

Maybe Cnemaspis boiei here OD as Goniodactylus boeï or in Proceratophrys boiei here as Ceratophrys Boiei? But at least for the last one I assume it is also for Heinrich as Maximilian zu Wied-Neuwied wrote several times about....

Dr. Boie zu Leiden

Viverra boiei I assume a syn. for the Banded palm civet Hemigalus derbyanus plate here. And Carl Ludwig Doleschall described here p. 52 Sparrasus boiei a Synonym for the spider Heteropoda boiei (Doleschall 1859).

Last edited:
As of now, even without a Birth record seen, I think we can forget about the Genealogy page/claim in post #4 (the "1795" part could very well be a typo, of a birth year/record that, if so, most likely also would include his twin sister, as twins most often are noted down simultaneously, in the same annotation) ...

Please find attached the birth records of both brothers and the twin sister.

Why do H. & F. Boie have only one name while the Mother and sister have four?

Because their parents gave them only one name.

Attachments

• boie.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 25
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back