• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Florida, hawk, martin (1 Viewer)

ekopa

Hello!

Please help me identify these two birds, photographed in July at Lake Apopka
1. Red-shouldered Hawk?
2-3 Which martin?
Thanks!

Attachments

• 1E6A0082.JPG
    1E6A0082.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 1E6A0089.JPG
    1E6A0089.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 1E6A0091.JPG
    1E6A0091.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 23
Hawk ID

Mostly I look at the lines along the belly of the Red-shouldered hawk for ID while it is perching.

A view of the back of the tail also helps with a distinct ID

When in flight ID is different. The wings tend to be a bit forward.

Finally, woodlands are a preferred habitat, and often it's easy to spot one perching on a tree branch.

Green Nature

Mostly I look at the lines along the belly of the Red-shouldered hawk for ID while it is perching.

Green Nature

Yes, but Cooper's and Sharp-shins have similar belly patterns. The distinctive black and white checkered pattern on the wings in combination with the orange barred breast and the tail pattern (thin white bands and thick black bands) distinguish Red-shouldereds from those two Accipiters and most (all?) other North American hawks.

Last edited:
Red-shouldered Hawk and Barn Swallow. I agree with The Bird Nuts vis a vis Cooper's and Sharp-shinned Hawks.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back