• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Rocks Marsh NNR, Merseyside (1 Viewer)

Vis Migration 08:00 to 09:30
Chaffinch 707, Brambling 9, Meadow Pipit 5 Coal Tit 7, Reed Bunting 5, Great Spotted Woodpecker 3, Sparrowhawk 1, Golden PLover 5 CHiffchaff 2, Long Tailed Tit 20, Skylark 5 and BULLFINCH 2

at 0845 I heard three times, but failed to see what sounded alarmingly like a Stone Curlew

Excellent Vis Mig today - with the stiff SE wind keeping everything low for once

Gannet 2 Sparrowhawk 2, Peregrine 1 Woodpigeon 4 Meadow Pipit 20 Fieldfare 1, in seaward alders Mistle Thrush 2 Blackcap 1 male S End bushes Goldcrest 1, Firecrest male - ringed left leg 1, presumably the bird from Hilbre last Sunday which begs the question where has it been hiding! Starling 4,290 South or SW Tree Sparrow 1, Chaffinch 1,650 In flock of up to 80 S through the dunes, kept lower than usual by the stiff wind. Brambling 8, Greenfinch 45 Goldfinch 40, Siskin, 6, Lapland Bunting Flew E over the point calling

..... and 156 Redwing overhead during the tide. There were also a good number of birds in the roost and 37 Pinkfeet flying out of the estuary, but no Brents noted today.

Chris

25th Oct 11 54 species recorded: Hen Harrier a tiny 1stW male appeared over the point, pursued by larger crows - crossed over to Hilbre, flying down between Hilbre and Middle before landing by the gates on the north end of Middle. Sparrowhawk 1 Peregrine 1 Oystercatcher 2,975 Lapwing 2 Turnstone 16 Skylark 6 overhead passage (10 or so resident birds too) 4 Meadow Pipit 25 Stonechat Two Have been present in the dunes just south of the Pinfold steps for a week now -they made it to the south end bushes briefly this morning. Wheatear 1 Blackbird 12 south Redwing 1 south Blackcap 1 Long-tailed Tit 10 Starling 1,570 west (as always) across the estuary in flocks from 20 to 250. Chaffinch 720 south Brambling 4 Greenfinch 35 Goldfinch 40 Siskin 6 Reed Bunting 9 overhead passage in addition to 6 or so resident birds

Oct 26th (2 hours vig mig watch)
Red-breasted Merganser 2 Peregrine 1 Collared Dove south in addition to the 6 resident birds 9 Great Spotted Woodpecker south 1 Skylark 45 Meadow Pipit 20 Dunnock one high south in addition to the resident birds Stonechat 2 Blackbird High south 15 Song Thrush FLocks of 4 and 5 high south 9 Redwing South 1 Mistle Thrush south 4 Blackcap 1 Chiffchaff 2 Firecrest ringed male again 1 Long-tailed Tit 8 Blue Tit 4 Starling 1150 West (as ever - the only species to take this line) Chaffinch 1265 1000 in the first hour - then they became too high to see/hear most of the time. At one point I saw a flock, and on focussing on then noticed a higher flock...and on focussing on them a still higher flock.
Brambling 21 Greenfinch 65 Goldfinch 70 Siskin 1 Linnet 40 Lesser Redpoll 1 Lapland Bunting 5 A single then 4 in off the estuary calling before 08:00 Both rattling ticky-ticky-tick and tieuu cals given. Reed Bunting 9 south, in addition to resident birds Total number of species

Its mostly managing to be completely invisible... then pops up every other day for a minute. The 10 at Ditton Lane should be easier to see!

Access - turn right into Ditton lane just over the Birkett Bridge. Don't leave anything valuable in the car

Attachments

• daunting ditton.jpg
    daunting ditton.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 123
Tagged Buzzard?

On a quick jaunt around the Wirral on Sunday, myself and Jon Bowen saw what looked like a Buzzard sat on the beach off Red Rocks being mobbed by three crows. It was certainly a large raptor, but, what stood out clearly, more than anything else was what appeared to be a large plastic green 'wing tag' on it's left wing.

Did anyone else see this? Or, does anyone know of any recent escapees in the area? Quite surprised it hasn't been reported by observers from Hilbre.

Thanks

Patrick

On a quick jaunt around the Wirral on Sunday, myself and Jon Bowen saw what looked like a Buzzard sat on the beach off Red Rocks being mobbed by three crows. It was certainly a large raptor, but, what stood out clearly, more than anything else was what appeared to be a large plastic green 'wing tag' on it's left wing.

Did anyone else see this? Or, does anyone know of any recent escapees in the area? Quite surprised it hasn't been reported by observers from Hilbre.

Thanks

Patrick

Does anyone put wing tags on Buzzards? Sounds more like a Red Kite or, dare I say it, a White-tailed Eagle.

Stephen

Buzzards are well rare at Red Rocks (yes I was in Milan)

Red Kite would be my bet- whatever it was I'm well annoyed that I missed it

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back