• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Ohio grey bird with black and white striped wings (1 Viewer)

LumixFZ

Had this in my backyard today and not sure of the ID. Appreciate assistance. Thanks.

Attachments

• Bird-0.jpg
    Bird-0.jpg
    492.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Bird-00.jpg
    Bird-00.jpg
    593.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Bird-01.jpg
    Bird-01.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 16
This illustrates to me, the danger if trying to identify a bird from a non birders description if there is no photo.

Check out the subject line grey bird with black and white striped wings

This is no cheap shot at the poster but a cautionary note the next time we get a 'guess the bird' from a non birder with no photo, this one would have been fun.

A

This illustrates to me, the danger if trying to identify a bird from a non birders description if there is no photo.

Check out the subject line grey bird with black and white striped wings

This is no cheap shot at the poster but a cautionary note the next time we get a 'guess the bird' from a non birder with no photo, this one would have been fun.

A

Yes, I completely agree. I tried the above subject line in Google (before posting here) and the main answer was "Mockingbird" which was totally wrong (and I knew that) which prompted me to post it here to the experts because I knew that if I supplied a decent quality photo I would have the correct answer in a very short time (which I did). :)

Yes, I completely agree. I tried the above subject line in Google (before posting here) and the main answer was "Mockingbird" which was totally wrong (and I knew that) which prompted me to post it here to the experts because I knew that if I supplied a decent quality photo I would have the correct answer in a very short time (which I did). :)

Just for you to know, if you'd said e.g ' A sparrow sized bird, mainly grey with a white belly and pinkish bill'.

Most would have given you the answer even with no pic, it's all about the description which from non birders, is all too often very misleading, no disrespect intended.

A

Ahh yes, that is much more descriptive and I see how that would make quite a difference. Even so, for me (and I am just learning this) many birds look so very different as juvies that I personally enjoy the security of submitting a photo with my request to assure that the answer I am getting is as close to correct as can possibly be expected. Thanks for your input - much appreciated!

Ahh yes, that is much more descriptive and I see how that would make quite a difference. Even so, for me (and I am just learning this) many birds look so very different as juvies that I personally enjoy the security of submitting a photo with my request to assure that the answer I am getting is as close to correct as can possibly be expected. Thanks for your input - much appreciated!

Ps, don't bother posting a description of any of your American Sparrows, they're hard enough even with a pic :t:

A

I've been seeing them for a couple of weeks now (I'm in the region around Boston that they migrate away from every spring), so they're definitely on the move.

Funny that Andy's description doesn't mention this bird's most salient feature: the white stripes along the outside of the tail, which appear suddenly when the bird leaps into flight. It wouldn't have been my first guess, but junco would indeed be on my list of birds with "white stripes on the wings" as described after a poor view or by an inexperienced birder.

Funny that Andy's description doesn't mention this bird's most salient feature: the white stripes along the outside of the tail, which appear suddenly when the bird leaps into flight. It wouldn't have been my first guess, but junco would indeed be on my list of birds with "white stripes on the wings" as described after a poor view or by an inexperienced birder.

The tail feature won't be 'salient' on a static bird such as this and I certainly see no white 'stripes' of any kind on it's wings.

The most salient feature would be the pink bill if noted, most American birders would probably get it just from that, grey bird, pink bill = Junco

A

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back