• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: Birding around Orlando April 11 to 25, 2019 (1 Viewer)

Reuben

Hello Forum,

I will be visiting Florida from April 11th to the 25th 2019 for a family holiday.

I have negotiated a days birding and would like any suggestions on which areas would be best to visit in April to see a good range of species.

We are staying near the Walt Disney World Animal Kingdom, just south west of Orlando, so any areas near here would be ideal. I do have a car so could venture further but I don't want to spend the whole day driving.

Also, can anyone recommend a good map of the area which shows footpaths, similar to our ordnance survey - all of the maps that I can find relate to driving.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reuben
Leeds, UK

Try re-posting in the Florida sub-forum of the United Sates forum - I used this for an RFI many years ago and got some good information.

I assume you mean 2020!?

I would go for the following (just returned from Florida) :
Apopka Wildlife Drive (this would be my first pick)

Orlando Wetlands Park
Disney Wilderness Preserve has a pretty decent bird list (it is a proper reserve with trails, etc.)

A bit further out but excellent for wetland herons including Reddish, waders, Roseate Spoonbill, etc.: Merrit NWR. Do the Wildlife Drive there for wetland species. There are also hiking trails. Should be about 1-1.5 hrs depending on traffic. If time allows this would be my second pick.

and Blue Springs SP for manatees and forest species (2 hour drive)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back