• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large Moth in my Garage (1 Viewer)

virgo10

I just saw that there's a section for ID questions. Mods, please move this for me. Thanks. |:$|

I'm hoping someone can ID this. I'm in Florida. Poor thing isn't doing very well. It won't fly and we just had a cold front come through with a rapid drop in temperature and high winds.

After trying to get it to fly away, I brought it back to the garage for some shelter from that front. When I moved it, the wings opened displaying the lovely color.

Thanks for any help on naming this moth.

Attachments

• motha12-10-09 (600 x 517).jpg
    motha12-10-09 (600 x 517).jpg
    71 KB · Views: 55
  • mothb12-10-09 (600 x 446).jpg
    mothb12-10-09 (600 x 446).jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 53
  • mothc12-10-09 (600 x 417).jpg
    mothc12-10-09 (600 x 417).jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Certainly not any of the (many) yellow underwing species seen in the UK. There are some similarities with the Cuculliinae and Noctuinae (both in Noctuidae) but really wouldn't like to comment on something from Florida.

Hi

It's a sphingid (hawkmoth), Erinnyis alope (Drury, 1770).

It's mainly South American but does get up into the southern USA.

Martin

Thanks everyone. :t: In the few brief seconds it showed its body I could see the stripes.

Interesting the stuff that finds its way up to central Florida.

Years of practise!

Although some might say that I cheat - I do it for a profession (a Lepidopterist, that is).

Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back