• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (41 Viewers)

Today's highlights:

MOORS:
Caspian Gull (4cy) briefly-------------------------Yellow Legged Gull (2x ad) + 3cy.
Large Gulls- c200 inc 20% juv birds and 50 Herring Gulls.
Common Sand (2)-----------------------------------Green Sand (2)
Lapwing (30)-----------------------------------------Snipe (1)
Common Tern (2 ad) + 2 juvs-----------------------Wigeon (m)
Shoveler (6)------------------------------------------Gadwall (4)
Teal (15)----------------------------------------------Cormorant (3)
Greylag Goose (12)----------------------------------G C Grebe (Ad ) + juv
Mistle Thrush (2)-------------------------------------Coal Tit (west hide feeding station)
Sparrowhawk (m)------------------------------------B H Gull (c350)
A large flock of birds, c50, moved along the hedgerow on the west track. The flock also included Chiffchaff (6) and a Blackcap.

FLASHES/HEN POOL*
Lapwing (41)-----------------------------------------B H Gull (95)
Peregrine---------------------------------------------Cetti's Warbler (1)*
Reed Warbler (1)*-----------------------------------Curlew (1) reported late morning.

Des.

At the half-way point in August the month's list has staggered to a mere 83 species (unsurprising given the conditions and my inability to log into BirdTrack, hence some of the commoner gaps). Meanwhile the year list advanced to 137 species thanks to this week's Caspian Gull. Potential additions for the remainder of August include:

Garganey, Pintail, Pochard, Red Kite, Osprey, Marsh Harrier, Avocet, Oystercatcher, Whimbrel, Ruff, Greenshank, Little Stint, Ringed Plover, Wood Sandpiper, Curlew Sandpiper, Redshank, Spotted Redshank, Common Gull, Arctic Tern, Black Tern, Sandwich Tern, Barn Owl, Tawny Owl, Little Owl, Collared Dove, Skylark, Yellow Wagtail, Wheatear, Dunnock, Wren, Nuthatch, Jay, House Sparrow, Chaffibch, Yellowhammer

At the half-way point in August the month's list has staggered to a mere 83 species (unsurprising given the conditions and my inability to log into BirdTrack, hence some of the commoner gaps). Meanwhile the year list advanced to 137 species thanks to this week's Caspian Gull. Potential additions for the remainder of August include:

Garganey, Pintail, Pochard, Red Kite, Osprey, Marsh Harrier, Avocet, Oystercatcher, Whimbrel, Ruff, Greenshank, Little Stint, Ringed Plover, Wood Sandpiper, Curlew Sandpiper, Redshank, Spotted Redshank, Common Gull, Arctic Tern, Black Tern, Sandwich Tern, Barn Owl, Tawny Owl, Little Owl, Collared Dove, Skylark, Yellow Wagtail, Wheatear, Dunnock, Wren, Nuthatch, Jay, House Sparrow, Chaffibch, Yellowhammer
Can certainly add wren and dunnock:t:

Although I've been visiting Upton Warren for some time now as a Trust member, this is my first post. I decided I should register so that I could add a sighting of a nuthatch on the feeder at North Moors this week (Tuesday 14th). Mike Gower

4 Yellow-legged Gulls (two adults + two second summers) at the Moors Pool this afternoon as per Terry Hinett but no sign of the Caspian Gull.

This afternoon / evening Mike W and Janette report:

FLASHES
12 Curlew

MOORS POOL
Yellow-legged Gull (adult), 3 Green Sand, Common Sand, Snipe, Swift, Great Crested Grebe juvenile, 2 Common Tern juveniles, Wigeon, 50+ House Martin, 2 Grey Heron

Although I've been visiting Upton Warren for some time now as a Trust member, this is my first post. I decided I should register so that I could add a sighting of a nuthatch on the feeder at North Moors this week (Tuesday 14th). Mike Gower

Thanks Mike..we are always trying to encourage more people to post their sighting photos and anything to do with the reseve on the forum..The forum is a great vehicle for announcing work parties and any events on the reserve or if anyone has an questions or issues they need resolving.. .This helps people plan their visits when disturbance can occur through management work etc. In the event of finding an unusual species please post on here and if possible contact myself Phil andrews or Wheatearlp privately if you a are unsure of an ID or post on here and we will sort it ..hopefully8-P if any serious problems occur we will pass on to the Worcester Wildlife Trust if we can't sort it. :t: john

Presume that was when it flew into the lagoon? May still be there if so, a lot of that area hidden from view from the hides.

What was presumed to be the bird flew out of the lagoon area and was seen to fly high in a southerly direction. I picked up a wader flying in front of the masts, which I thought was probably the Wood Sandpiper. After thoroughly checking the lagoon area from the Jacobs Hide, along with Clive Lee & Brian Richardson, I headed over to the Flashes where Bob Potter among others was searching. The bird was not seen from either the Cuckoo or Avocet hide.

Yesterday's Wood Sandpiper took the monthly list on to 87. This compares to the average August total of 106 species over the last five years with a peak of 108 (2013 and 2014) and a low of 104 (2016 and 2017); the latter figure may be under some threat!

From the Moors Pool this morning Andy P reports:

Adult Yellow-legged Gull, Little Egret, 28 Lapwing, 4 Green Sandpiper, 2 Common Sandpiper, 2 Snipe, 5 Common Tern including 2 juveniles, 6 Shoveler, 2 Gadwall, Wigeon, 2 Water Rail, Cettis, Swift.

Tuesday's Caspian Gull images below, also seen briefly on Wednesday. Courtesy of John Ridley.

Des.

Attachments

• Caspian Gull.jpg
    Caspian Gull.jpg
    551.7 KB · Views: 171
  • Caspian Gull 1.jpg
    Caspian Gull 1.jpg
    494.1 KB · Views: 167
  • Caspian Gull 2.jpg
    Caspian Gull 2.jpg
    474.5 KB · Views: 157

Collared Dove today along East Track Phil.

Tuesday's Caspian Gull images below, also seen briefly on Wednesday. Courtesy of John Ridley.

Des.

Pretty sure I saw the same bird early Thursday afternoon from the West hide not long after the Electricity helicopter put everything up. Looked to be the same distinctive angle of the forehead, all dark eye, same bill pattern. Also seen briefly by Jared.

Mike

Tim had Jay this evening

Users who are viewing this thread

Back