• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pennington Flash (1 Viewer)

TonyC

One of the best places for birding in Greater Manchester.
Today I saw 40 species in about an hour - highlights being a Kingfisher and 20 Goosander.

The Flash is a large lake formed from mining subsidence and there are a number of hides around the place, one overlooking the 'spit' which was an old railway line. Around 50 Golden Plover here today and 200+ Lapwing, but during the year a large variety of waders can be seen.
(last year there was a Pectoral Sandpiper).

On the lake itself were 10 duck species and a selection of Gulls (Iceland reported for 31st Dec).

There is also a feeding station where Willow Tits are regular visitors and Bullfinch (up to 8 there today), as well as the usual commoner Finches and Tit species.

There are rumours of our office being relocated to Leigh in the summer so hopefully I can get to Pennington Flash more often.

Tony, didn't you see the Reed Buntings, they were there on Friday. You're right, it is a great site for birders, especially beginners like myself because there is usually someone who can tell me what I'm looking at. For example is it a Willow or a Marsh Tit ? All I know is that to view one of these little beauties from six ( yes 6 ) feet was a real pleasure.

Yes - I carefully studied all the Reed Buntings, as in 1994 there was a Black-faced Bunting among them - a first for Britain !

The feeding station at Pennington does attract some weird and wonderful things - in icy weather a Water Rail pops up and there's been a Nanday Conure(South American Parrot) around for the last few years.

Last Spring there was a Wood Warbler there briefly, so repeated visits are always worth it. Over about 10 years I've seen 117 species there in total.

I've been to Pennington several times now and although I am less keen on the main lake the hides that surround some of the smaller ponds are good and you tend to get good close up views and plenty of bids about.
The feeding station for the small birds is one of the best I've seen. There's always lots going on and the last time I went a few months back I got great close up views of Bullfinches.
Its well worth the visit if you like the organised sites.

Bill@dwp said:
I've been to Pennington several times now and although I am less keen on the main lake the hides that surround some of the smaller ponds are good and you tend to get good close up views and plenty of bids about.
The feeding station for the small birds is one of the best I've seen. There's always lots going on and the last time I went a few months back I got great close up views of Bullfinches.
Its well worth the visit if you like the organised sites.

I guess it's like anywhere Bill - the more you visit the area, the more interesting places you find. I've lived most of my life a stone's throw away from the Flash and now rarely visit the actual 'reserve' area unless it's very early in the morning - after 9.00am the place starts getting a little too busy for my liking. Personally, I like the opposite end of the Flash to the reserve - there's a reedbed where the brook flows in, and the surrounding fields haven't changed since I was a boy some forty years ago. There's even a tiny sandbar that only appears when the water's relatively low, but it often attracts waders. There's also a dissused railway line-come-footpath that leads away from the Flash that is excellent for warblers. If one has plenty time it's well worth walking right round the Flash (it takes 1 to 2 hours), just to check out the place fully.

As you suggest, the feeding station is tremendous, though a little shady for anyone wanting to take photographs. Unfortunately, it's very rarely open when I walk round first thing in the morning!

saluki

Thought I'd revive this thread - great place this!

When I went previously I saw:

Swift, Grey Heron, Canada Goose, Greylag Goose, Mute Swan, Mallard, Tufted Duck, Gadwall, Great Crested Grebe, Lapwing, Coot, Moorhen, Black Headed Gull, Ringed Plover, Wood Pigeon, Magpie, Blackbird, Reed Bunting, Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Bullfinch, Great Tit, Coal Tit and Robin.

Also, this made me laugh... in one of the hides, a bit of small and rather unobtrusive 'graffiti' which read thus:

"Bill Oddie Wuz Ear"...

Raised a smile, especially the 'ear' bit!

:D

I'll try to go up again at the weekend - if I do, I'll post any sightings.

:)

Neil.

Last edited:
Last time i went to pennington flash i was in the bunting hide watching the birds on the feeders when a sparrowhawk flew through and scared everything away! Then when everything finally came back i swooped through again! it was a real great birding moment!

BirderBoy :hippy: peace

Last time i went to pennington flash i was in the bunting hide watching the birds on the feeders when a sparrowhawk flew through and scared everything away! Then when everything finally came back i swooped through again! it was a real great birding moment!

The same thing happened last time I went. It must have flown about 18 inches from my nose, as I stuck it out of the hide! You really get a sense of how quickly they accelerate.

Always a good sight.

Top notch Drake Goldeneye today (about 4 others too)
Goosanders galore
Gadwall
Pochard
Teal
Tufted Duck
Mallard

Heron

not to mention
Willow Tit x2
Bullfinch x2
Chaffinch
Song Thrush
Blackbird
Robin

Lapwings
Canada Geese

The Gull roost out on the main flash is very impressive inc. GBB. BH, LBB, Herring and reported this week an Iceland Gull (not seen)

Leo

Hi Folks,

I believe that Pennington used to have regular winter roost of Long-eared Owls. Does anybody know if this roost is still there and if so where is the best place to view it from? I'm hoping to visit on Christmas Eve and this would be a lifer for me.

All the best,
Paul

There was one last winter and I believe there has been one sighted within the last few weeks - but they/it is notoriuosly difficult to find as it is in an area that is inaccessible. Sometimes you'll get lucky - most times not! I went several times last winter and didn't connect so ended up going for the ones at Marton Mere. These were somewhat easier - but they are not always in the same area each year. I have not been this year so cannot help with location.

There was one last winter and I believe there has been one sighted within the last few weeks - but they/it is notoriuosly difficult to find as it is in an area that is inaccessible. Sometimes you'll get lucky - most times not! I went several times last winter and didn't connect so ended up going for the ones at Marton Mere. These were somewhat easier - but they are not always in the same area each year. I have not been this year so cannot help with location.

Thanks. I was planning to hit Marton as well, perhaps I should try there first.
Cheers, Paul

Pennington Flash is my favourite place in Greater Manchester. However, do not underestimate Elton Reservoir. I picked up 40 species there to start my New Year list and conditions were not exactly ideal with so much ice cover. There are some nice walks in the area and you can include the nearby canal albeit that it is heavily used by families and dog walkers. Ironically, freezing weather is advantageous because the bank side of Elton is heavily waterlogged and the going can be tough if you do not have boots.

I managed 115 species last year at Elton (I live in the Elton Recording area). This included some very nice birds. A total species count of 141/2 was found by birders last year. So for this year I've had 58 and I'm still missing some "easy" ticks such as Jackdaw, Little Owl, Tawny Owl.

The frozen weather has helped me get Jack Snipe as it forced the birds to more open areas.

Does anyone know how to get there by public transport? It'd be great if I could get there on the bus when my Auntie (My fellow birder) can't take me.

Cheers. B :)

Does anyone know how to get there by public transport? It'd be great if I could get there on the bus when my Auntie (My fellow birder) can't take me.

Cheers. B :)

From Leigh Bus Station you need the Number 600, getting off at the Robin Hood Pub across the road from the entrance to the Flash.

Hi Folks...I'm sure someone will know the answer to this question . I've seen photographs on a website (can't remember where) showing a tree stump with bird food on it with birds eating the food and other photos showing the same stump with a grey squirrel taking some food. It isn't the Bunting Hide at Pennington Flash so is it another hide at Pennington Flash or somewhere else in the area ? cheers . COLG .

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back