• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbirds fall from Arkansas Sky (1 Viewer)

Here's an interesting article that puts the die-offs in perspective, though it doesn't speak directly to the blackbirds.

I thought the last line in the article was the most interesting, "The irony is that mass die-offs – usually of animals with large populations – are getting the attention while a larger but slower mass extinction of thousands of species because of human activity is ignored," :-C

However, I heard another opinion on a radio talk program that deals with strange phenomenons(George Noory) that it is definitely secret government experiments where they are shooting microwaves into the skies in an effort to control the weather, which, of course, is why the world's weather has gone bonkers..... So there ya go folks, it's all scientific for the better of mankind.....Although, I would agree that Sarah Palin had something to do with it if it was only happening in places she visits.... or possibly Dick Cheney doing some more skeet shooting....:smoke:
Disclaimer: I only overheard the talk show info b/c my husband loves that crap.

A long article about similar events in the Daily Mail today. Fireworks seem to be blamed but I don't think anyone really has a clue.:h?:

I thought the last line in the article was the most interesting, "The irony is that mass die-offs – usually of animals with large populations – are getting the attention while a larger but slower mass extinction of thousands of species because of human activity is ignored," :-C

Too true & certainly applicable to the present case, the Red-winged Blackbird being a perennial candidate for the most numerous bird in North America!

I think it's all down to mysterious radiation from the Great Pyramid, magnified by ley lines and finally emitted as a focussed, bird-destroying beam from an object yet to be discovered lying deep within Glastonbury Tor.

I am really having trouble with the fireworks idea. Fireworks are extremely common here - used to celebrate almost anything, including birthdays, Mothers' and Fathers' day, Independence Day, the entire Christmas season (from Dec. 7 through Jan.1), religious holidays, etc., etc., etc. On Christmas and New Year's day the air is always thick with smoke as they are shot off almost non-stop all day, and in mass at midnight and noon each of those two days.

If fireworks caused massive bird deaths even a small percentage of the time, we'd be knee-deep in dead birds most of the time.

Helen

The "fireworks" thing is I think being promoted by the kind of people who just don't like fireworks and would like them blamed for every ill known to mankind.

More support for the fireworks theory:
http://www.agfc.com/Pages/newsDetails.aspx?show=149

I hate to sound like a broken record but, judging from recent posts, it looks like this needs saying again. Please note that these findings apply only to the Beebe case with its particular circumstances, & not to all cases--or even to any other case--of “birds falling out of the sky”.

Last edited:
More support for the fireworks theory:
http://www.agfc.com/Pages/newsDetails.aspx?show=149

I hate to sound like a broken record but, judging from recent posts, it looks like this needs saying again. Please note that these findings apply only to the Beebe case with its particular circumstances, & not to all cases--or even to any other case--of “birds falling out of the sky”.

Well, send those blackbird down here, then. They'll get used to fireworks fast!

Helen

Well, send those blackbird down here, then. They'll get used to fireworks fast!

Here’s yet another article on the Beebe & Louisiana kill events.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/weekinreview/09gorman.html?hpw

I’m surprised that you find it so hard to believe that fireworks were implicated in the Arkansas & Louisiana incidents given the evidence cited in the article. The fact (if it is a fact) that fireworks aren’t known to harm birds in your country is simply irrelevant.

Personally, I like fireworks: I don’t want to ban them. In light of what may have happened in Arkansas & Louisiana, however, my hope is that next New Year’s Eve they won’t be set off near blackbird roosts.

Do you suppose this has been going on for longer periods of time and because everything is so viral now, it is seen by more people?

Here’s yet another article on the Beebe & Louisiana kill events.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/weekinreview/09gorman.html?hpw

I’m surprised that you find it so hard to believe that fireworks were implicated in the Arkansas & Louisiana incidents given the evidence cited in the article. The fact (if it is a fact) that fireworks aren’t known to harm birds in your country is simply irrelevant.

Personally, I like fireworks: I don’t want to ban them. In light of what may have happened in Arkansas & Louisiana, however, my hope is that next New Year’s Eve they won’t be set off near blackbird roosts.

Thanks for the link. This is the first article I have read that actually gives evidence of the fireworks link, other than simply saying that it's one theory; that certainly doesn't convince me that it's true! And yes, just because as far as I know fireworks don't harm birds here does not imply that they didn't harm them somewhere else, it does make me want more evidence before I believe that.

I like professional fireworks displays, but I don't like the constant noise, smoke and smell of them being set off everywhere, especially during the Christmas season. Certainly there is no caution to be sure they don't harm birds, or people for that matter - there are fires and injuries from fireworks every year!

Helen

Do you suppose this has been going on for longer periods of time and because everything is so viral now, it is seen by more people?

I have heard from several sources that large scale bird (and other animal) die-offs like this aren't that unusual, but as you said this event attracted a lot of attention so many of us have never heard of it before.

Helen

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back