• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Forest sell off petition (1 Viewer)

One of the problems with the government run forests is that they haven't been doing a very good job of it.
I'm sure the RSPB would soon solve the problem what ever it is.

Not true. The Forestry Commission are the best at it, better than the RSPB... http://www.forestry.gov.uk/newsrele.nsf/AllByUNID/0EEC2F44121161FB8025772900411FB4
The FC's scientists are among the very best in the world, and the sale of that expertise abroad is one of the ways the government can make management of the forests cost-neutral.

Are the RSPB going to buy all 200,000 acres and run a commercial forestry operation? Do they have £250M of reserves to fund this sitting idle? Are all their members going to donate £200 each to pay for this?

These forests cost us 30p each per year, and are managed by experts for the benefit of all users. The government has no mandate to sell our forests. If they want to try it again, let's see it in the next manifesto and see how much support it gets at the ballot box.

Graham

The Wyre Forest in the west midlands used to be excellent for Pied Flycatchers,Redstarts and Wood Warblers but now they are practically extinct there.

This is not a local issue, and it is probably not a woodland management issue. The range of all of these species is contracting across the whole country irrespective of the owners and managers of the woodlands. The reasons are not well understood.

Graham

Had a quick look at the government consultation document and on the whole it sounds a good idea. I would rather see the wildlife trusts,woodland trust and the RSPB owning the woodlands than the government.
I have long felt that the National Nature Reserves could be much better if they were run by the RSPB etc. I hope the government pass them on as well.

I actually think the fact that the Government are pushing this line to make it all seem ok, is quite disturbing. It is very sneaky and underhand - they will know that the charities and organisations they refer to don't have the funds to buy the land as they suggest. But, if the average person heard that the Government was passing ownership of woodland to the RSPB, they would most likely think it sounded like a great idea.

A few moments of power I guess.

I may be cynical but, as it's the only chance they're ever going to get to be in government (albeit as part of a coalition), they're going to make the most of it.

The government have said the forests will still be protected but I don't trust them.
Yes, if organisations such as the Wildlife Trusts, National Trust, RSPB, local wildlife groups, etc, take over the forests it wouldn't be such a bad proposal, but I don't trust the Cleggeron coalition not to flog them off to the highest bidder whose activities could be detrimental to the forests, the wildlife - and the public who enjoy the forests.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/jan/28/england-forest-sell-off-q-and-a

I found this from the article above very worrying

Will the new owners be obliged to manage the forests with consideration of future climate change, plant health, wildlife, biosecurity, forest services, flood control or any other long-term societal benefit?

No. The slimmed down Commission will advise owners on plant health, biosecurity and research, but the consultation document suggests it will have no power to make people plant or fell anything, or to do anything other than what they want.

The Libs have ditched all their principles when the Tories took control of them and in any event the Tories don't actually care what we think. The Coalition mindset is to sell the forests end of.

I believe that all the protests currently led by students and now the TUC need to focus on a mesage of no confidence in the Condems with a demand that they resign and for a new election to take place. There is the big protest March in the Spring in London and the demands can be made there.

Lets face it the Condems need to go. We have all had enough of them.

Do I really have to put up with their rubbish ideas and policies for the next four years :eek!::-C .... and they had better leave our forests alone. The Forestry Commission appear to be managing the woodland/forest well where I live.

Dean:t:

Last edited:
Have received an email reply from my MP. I may well have just copied and pasted from the consultation document to read what he has put. Typically blaming Labour for selling of forest and woods with less protection they they would, and using it as a smoke screen to try and make the coalition look smarter then them.

If the Government don't want to spend money on Forests why don't they donate them free to organisations like RSPB, Woodlands Trust et al. This really would show they are the party representing the voice of the people. Naturally they won't as they don't listen to the voice of the majority only the minority (which in this case would be within the walls of Condem party HQ).

My MP fully supports the governments move and thus has lost my vote in any future election.

Rant over with, bring on the marches and demos. i feel angry and want to shout. :C

Why on earth would a government give away land when they are trying to sort out this countries finances which because of some ridiculous decisions by the last few governments of both parties has left us crippled with debt

Why on earth would a government give away land when they are trying to sort out this country's finances which because of some ridiculous decisions by the last few governments of both parties has left us crippled with debt?

Good diversionary tactic?
MJB

Given that proposed sell-off affects huge area of habitat most rich in biodiversity, and vital recreation space, I am surprised that you don't hear a GIGANTIC protest from RSPB and each and every conservation organization anywhere in Earth. Plastering Britain with "Save Bambi's home from the Government" etc. Consider what cries happened about flimsy evidence that climate change or about agricultural subsidies.

I understand that it is the screw-up to get money given to charities - ask charities to buy forest from the Government, or else trees will be cut and access blocked.

Similar scheme was planned in Poland, and was shelved for fear of public backslash.

Maybe so,but governments don't give away vast areas of land for free,whether it be in the peoples best interest or not,although it would be jolly nice of them

Maybe so,but governments don't give away vast areas of land for free,whether it be in the peoples best interest or not,although it would be jolly nice of them

Again, these forests do not belong to the government. They are publicly owned. They belong to all of us. And the government has no democratic mandate and no moral right to give them away or sell them.

Why would a community buy them when they already own them?

Graham

Again, these forests do not belong to the government. They are publicly owned. They belong to all of us. And the government has no democratic mandate and no moral right to give them away or sell them.

Why would a community buy them when they already own them?

Graham

In the same way we owned all the utilities companies and now private companies are making huge profits from us with them.

Let not wait until its too late before we realise this is a really bad idea

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back