• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with these thanks. Lunt UK (today) (1 Viewer)

Hi all

These little guys flew fast and low over the reserve so quickly that they took me by surprise and I could only grab a few shots of their behinds!

So no real chance of me trying to make a good identification - even though I can see markings on the wings - so thought I'd ask you guys.

Each photo is followed by a section of the full-sized photo.

Any help appreciated as always.

thanks

Attachments

• flock-001.jpg
    flock-001.jpg
    463.7 KB · Views: 108
  • flock-002.jpg
    flock-002.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 128
  • flock-003.jpg
    flock-003.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 77
  • flock-004.jpg
    flock-004.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 77
But these birds are very dark above and below. The" wing bars"are probably remnants of the juvenile feathers as they moult into the first adult plumage, and in photo No. 4 you can see the lighter panels are across the wing rather than along it.. Starlings do fly fast and low; I just don't see these as waders I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Starlings can look oddly like waders (esp Calidris types) when seen in wetland habitat! I have even seen them mingling with Dunlins at a similar "pit" type reserve and with Turnstones on Bridlington beach.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back