• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds and birding using public transport (1 Viewer)

GiG

United Nations
A previous thread about birds and driving made me think about birds and birding using public transport, I posted in the aforementioned thread as a cyclist but it would be interesting if anybody has any experience using other forms of transport. The advantages is that you can pay more attention looking out of the window etc. but have the frustration if you see something for too brief a moment and then being unable to stop and search.

While travelling to and from London and beyond by train, I always really like crossing the River Stour between Suffolk and Essex, with its typical estuary birds. Seeing a Little Egret really surprised me one day, but have since realised that they have increased greatly in numbers in recent years.

Holidaying in Cornwall, the train journey goes through wonderful countryside with Dawlish area and the Hayle Estuary being notable, straining my eyes to see anything on the estuary, with the last time seeing a Fox paddling across the mud.

I was amazed on a train journey from Luxor to Cairo of the amount of egrets to be seen feeding in the fields in close proximity to the farmers working away.

The first time I visited the southwest, Devon, by coach and crossing the Somerset Levels and seeing a Buzzard, for the first time, sitting on a post then a Merlin fly across the road (always handy to sit in the front - big windows).

Gi

In my teens (several decades ago), and a non-birder, a friend and I were camping in the New Forest, and crossing the forest by bus when we saw lots of crows with grey and black heads. Amazingly for a non-birder, I just happened to have my bird guide with me (!), and looked these up - there they were - Hooded Crows, masses of them. I don't know how long it was later, (days, weeks, months?) that I was looking through the bird guide again and turned the page over and saw another much more likely candidate - jackdaws. :-O

Birds using public transport are rare, but city pigeons in London underground are known for it. :-O :-O :-O

jurek said:
Birds using public transport are rare, but city pigeons in London underground are known for it. :-O :-O :-O

That made me chuckle, :clap: :clap:

I have seem them get on a tube train in London.

Gi

But seriously folks....

It would be great to have a list of cities where birding by public transportation is possible and profitable, annotated with comments about the general frequency and reliability of buses and trams.

Even Tucson, a huge city in the American west with extremely limited bus service and schedules, can actually be birded without a car, as I discovered during the six months I 'camped out' in our house while our vehicle was still back east. My SunTran list eventually included such fancy creatures as Least Grebe, Zone-tailed Hawk, Rufous-winged Sparrow, and on and on.

What about your town?

Rick Wright
Tucson.

I have only seen pigeons and house sparrows visiting the station platforms in New York City's "subway" system, but they never seem to take a train.
From the commuter railroads, there are surpising views of waders, including great egrets and herons as the trains skirt or transverse wetlands. New York's parks and waterfront are reachable by public transport and Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge is a short walk from a metro station.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :scribe:

Birding using public transport

gi2012 said:
A previous thread about birds and driving made me think about birds and birding using public transport, I posted in the aforementioned thread as a cyclist but it would be interesting if anybody has any experience using other forms of transport. The advantages is that you can pay more attention looking out of the window etc. but have the frustration if you see something for too brief a moment and then being unable to stop and search.

I have a lot of experience of trips looking for birds using public transport on holidays in Spain and UK. A classic was in April last year when I stayed in Tortosa in the far S of Catalunya and twice travelled to the Ebro Delta by bus. The second day was the more leisurely, as I travelled to the small town of Deltebre and went in a boat to the mouth of the mighty River Ebro. On the previous day the bus took me to San Carles de la Rapita in the SW corner of the Delta, and I walked to some of the lakes to the west and back. It was a long day, but I had amazing views of a lot of the breeding and migrant birds, 73 species in total. At the end of the day, I returned to the bus stop with a note of the time of a bus back to Tortosa, 7pm, but it was quite a long wait and I "feared" that the next bus to turn up would actually head in the opposite direction, S. However, in an hour I was back at my hotel!

I agree that there are many occasions that you do not specifically identify the birds that you see from public transport, but you have to put up with that! However, another bonus of travelling by public transport is that you have much more contact with the locals.

Allen S. Moore

Rick Wright said:
But seriously folks....

It would be great to have a list of cities where birding by public transportation is possible and profitable, annotated with comments about the general frequency and reliability of buses and trams.

Here in the east of England there are regular trains to and from London to Norwich going through Colchester and Ipswich.

The local trains are handy as you can take on a bicycle to get to inaccessible places.

From Colchester there are local trains to the Walton on the Naze every hour.

The London - Norwich train occasionally stops at Manningtree where you can walk along the River Stour.

From Ipswich there is an hourly service to Felixstowe (to go to Landguard Bird Obs). It also stops at Trimley with a 2 1/2 mile walk/cycle to Trimley Marshes. I occasionally train to Felixstowe (or cycle to see the Trumpeter Finch when the trains guards were on strike!) and then return by going through the docks to Fagbury cliffs and follow the footpath to Trimley Nature Reserve and then follow the River Orwell path uo to Loompit Lake and Levington Lagoon.

There is a two hourly service to Lowestoft up the east coast. I have got of at Darsham and cycled the few miles to Minsmere.

I will post again with details of rail travel in Norfolk including the Bittern Line.

Gi

Inverness to Thurso or Wick is surely one of the best train routes for watching birds.
Very good chance of Osprey and Red kite as you leave Inverness and round the Beauly Firth, maybe even dolphins and/or otters depending on tides and time of day. Good for waders and whoopers as well.
Plenty of buzzards and hooded crows as you go from Dingwall up to Tain and a good chance of otters and both seals on the Dornoch Firth.
Once past Brora and Helmsdale start looking out for Golden eagles.
Look out for divers and Slavonian grebes near Forsinard and scan the bogs for Hen harriers and Merlins.
At Thurso look in the harbour for Eider, Black guillemot and other auk sp.

I once birded TEXAS by bus, on my own, in summer (before I had a driver's licence).
I reached far-flung areas like Santa Ana NWR (south), Guadalupe Mountains NP (west) and Texas Point NWR (southeast)... although some needed 2 hours walking or an expensive taxi ride (all worth it). To the amazement of almost any Texan I spoke to, "nothing happened to me"!

After flagging down the (twice-daily) bus at Guadalupe Mountains NP, the driver commented: "How did you know I was gonna stop?" Well: I didn't; but a driver who waves to all upcoming cars between El Paso and Lubbock (300 miles) won't leave you behind in the desert, will he?

The sunday morning 8.15 train from Yarmouth to Norwich is the best i know of, it goes over the Halvergate / Berney marshes .... then via Cantley & Buckenham marshes and past Strumpshaw Fen.

Last sundays was particularly superb, the marshes had partly flooded during the night and in the early morning clear sky the low sun reflected off the watery bits. Loads of ducks and plovers and wotnot. Picture postcard stuff.

Little Egrets, Marsh Harriers and Bean geese as well

Last edited:
gi2012 said:
Gi

Hi Gi

I regularly travel by train through the countryside to work. The RSPCB published a booklet last year in conjunction with the network train services about the possibilities of seeing wildlife from the train. Here's my list from last Friday:

Flock of little egrets
heron
kestrel
owl (about 8.30 in morning on barn roof)
jays
swan (berwick)
pheasant
rooks
pied wagtail
waders and ducks (too distant to id though)
Fox
Deer
gull
(plus the usual 'garden' birds at rural stations)

This was in the space of a 40 minute train journey!

I now take my binos on the train and this has also greatly honed my skills - focussing on moving targets from a high speed train!

I also spotted close range a pair of buzzards from a coach to Exeter a few months ago.

As far as birds catching rides, I have seen gulls regularly 'catch' the cross channel ferries to France - lazy eh!

Karl J said:
The sunday morning 8.15 train from Yarmouth to Norwich is the best i know of, it goes over the Halvergate / Berney marshes .... then via Cantley & Buckenham marshes and past Strumpshaw Fen.

Last sundays was particularly superb, the marshes had partly flooded during the night and in the early morning clear sky the low sun reflected off the watery bits. Loads of ducks and plovers and wotnot. Picture postcard stuff.

Little Egrets, Marsh Harriers and Bean geese as well

I can visualise that beautiful scene, I've been birding in the area but have never been on that rail route.

It reminds me of the first time I was on a train across the Washes, being amazed at large stretches of water along the train track and lots of wildfowl about.

Gi

deborah4 said:
Hi Gi

I regularly travel by train through the countryside to work. The RSPCB published a booklet last year in conjunction with the network train services about the possibilities of seeing wildlife from the train. Here's my list from last Friday:

Flock of little egrets
heron
kestrel
owl (about 8.30 in morning on barn roof)
jays
swan (berwick)
pheasant
rooks
pied wagtail
waders and ducks (too distant to id though)
Fox
Deer
gull
(plus the usual 'garden' birds at rural stations)

This was in the space of a 40 minute train journey!

I now take my binos on the train and this has also greatly honed my skills - focussing on moving targets from a high speed train!

Hi Deborah,

That's a good list of birds and animals to see, I used to catch the train to work and it is probably easier to see stuff than from the bus I use now.

deborah4 said:
I also spotted close range a pair of buzzards from a coach to Exeter a few months ago.

As far as birds catching rides, I have seen gulls regularly 'catch' the cross channel ferries to France - lazy eh!

I remember one of the first buzzards I saw was on a coach to Devon along the Somerset Levels area sitting on a post, I also saw a Merlin flash across the road - always handy to sit at the front, big windows with easier view!

Gi

deborah4 said:
I now take my binos on the train and this has also greatly honed my skills - focussing on moving targets from a high speed train

Hi Deborah et al

I've never tried using bins on a train - perhaps mainly because I'd be afraid of looking like a complete dork!

Ely-Norwich is a picturesque train route: I've seen Marsh Harrier and Roe Deer and I suppose Golden Oriole wouldn't be out of the question as the train goes past the poplar plantations at Lakenheath.

Barn Owls sometime seen from the train Ely-King's Lynn.

But in Britain, does anything beat a Scottish ferry?

James

James Blake said:
I've never tried using bins on a train - perhaps mainly because I'd be afraid of looking like a complete dork!

But in Britain, does anything beat a Scottish ferry?

James

Hi James :hi:

1. Given up worrying 'bout looking like a dork since I started birding - nothing looks weirder than lying on your stomach in snow, wearing combat trousers, a silly wooly hat, oversized walking boots with layers and layers of clothing, holding a digital in one hand, binos in the other, trying to have a fag, sip of coffee, whilst at the same time trying to stop the strap that holds your tripod and SLR from sliding off your shoulder into the pool of water that your elbow is resting in - all this at the same time as smiling weakly at a local farmer who just happens to be passing!

2. Not if the ferry is going to Skye, Iona, Mull, Rum etc - I'd hitch a lift anytime!

gi2012 said:
I remember one of the first buzzards I saw was on a coach to Devon along the Somerset Levels area sitting on a post, I also saw a Merlin flash across the road - always handy to sit at the front, big windows with easier view!

Gi

Know what you mean bout the view from the window on coaches - went to Haute Pyrenees in October (not an organised birding trip) and insisted on sitting on the front step of the coach aisle between the driver and the front seats! Everyone thought I was mad - guess I just got a bit carried away (fortunately he didn't mind me taking the risk of going head first through the windscreen!) - I also always sit on the same side of the train for my outward and homeward journey when I go to work now, with my eyes glued to the windows as the Northerly direction of the terrain's landscape is far more conducive to seeing to wildlife than the Southern side, it providing views of farmland, woodland, open field, river and estuary habitat.

By the way, re: egrets in Egypt - This time 2 years ago, I travelled on a River Nile cruise ferry from Luxor to the temple of Horemhep (down river) and saw hundreds and hundred of egrets perched in the trees!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back