• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare birds dead on Queen's estate (BBC News) (1 Viewer)

Not on the Sandringham estate nor the many other large shooting estates where illegal persecution is a problem they can't.

While I agree that cruelty and illegal persecution can be committed by all sections of society, this is not the case when we consider raptor persecution on shooting estates.

These activities can't be blamed on the underclass of chav's, yob's, scum et all that certain quarters like to demonise at every opportunity. The vast majority of society’s usual scapegoats would not even be able to obtain a gun licence, never mind permission to use it at Sandringham.

Even if the finger that pulls the trigger is a lowly employee, it is done with the tacit approval of those who employ them. It's about time we applied the principle of corporate responsibility. The problem is perpetuated even if not always personally committed by an affluent, educated and well connected minority that think they are above the laws that they expect others to respect.

Hi rozinante

Thank you for your reply here and what you have said here.

It is true what you say that people who are employees under the Royal eye so to speak are probably the best informed people going. They up to date on all what is connected to environmental issues. Whether snaring is the issue or otherwise. Not to say it is to our tastes on BF.

Again, it could be that the Royals are ignoring their responsibilities, and sweeping all the rules about environmental issues under the Royal carpet. That should not be happening at all. All wild animals have a right to live no matter what they are, who they are, if they are furry or feathered the same applies

Anyway we shall see here what the final reaction is to the BoP's here.

Regards
Kathy

Not on the Sandringham estate nor the many other large shooting estates where illegal persecution is a problem they can't.

While I agree that cruelty and illegal persecution can be committed by all sections of society, this is not the case when we consider raptor persecution on shooting estates.

These activities can't be blamed on the underclass of chav's, yob's, scum et all that certain quarters like to demonise at every opportunity. The vast majority of society’s usual scapegoats would not even be able to obtain a gun licence, never mind permission to use it at Sandringham.

Even if the finger that pulls the trigger is a lowly employee, it is done with the tacit approval of those who employ them. It's about time we applied the principle of corporate responsibility. The problem is perpetuated even if not always personally committed by an affluent, educated and well connected minority that think they are above the laws that they expect others to respect.

They Don't mind or care what the 'species' are.
If it's in the ' way' or causing some 'embarrassment'
They'll have it killed. Only crying crocodile tears if
it pleases the populace.

Kindest regards,
( A very bitter) young Ian.

Those crocodile tears will also be shed by the royal cokehead, whoever it is....

Sorry about going off topic several times peeps!!!

Death by a pack of foxhounds is entertainment, nothing else. Fox control is the excuse for it.

I agree with all your replies KLH on this subject, well said my friend. There is no doubt at all that the person who commited this offence will get away with it & sadly, it will soon be forgotten.

ROD.

I hear the Duke of Edinburgh personally had the harriers executed as they knew key evidence in his envolvement with the death of Diana.

It is such a shame that things like this happen it invariably gives all other estates/gamekeepers/"Hooray Henries" (delightful term) a bad name and precipitates yet another country sports debate that is a waste of time, energy and brain space. It shows that we have been governed by Labour for a decade

Thanks for your comments Raptor.

Prince Charles said he'd leave the country if new hunting laws came in. They have, long ago, so why is he still here? They really do talk a load of the brown stuff.

If Prince Philip pops his clogs I hope for hell that he comes back as some kind of wildlife, then if I knew it was him, I'd take a gun myself and give him an extra hole in his backside. With pleasure. The only time i would ever consider taking a gun to a living creature.

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments Raptor.

Prince Charles said he'd leave the country if new hunting laws came in. They have, long ago, so why is he still here? .

because it hasn't made much difference. Foxes are still being chased and killed by packs of foxhounds, with relative impunity. It isn't being policed.

Just on the Newsround now, but was on AOL's newspage earlier. Harry's claiming no knowledge. No surprise their then!!

Thanks for link! I didn't realise there were two other threads on this, seems I am a bit behind the times....

7 days after the incident took place and still there's no press release from the palace.

Surely any right thinking person lucky enough to in the position of managing one of the most famous estates in the world would show a bit of concern that two of our most endangered birds have been killed on their land. Even more so when they just happen to be the figurehead/patron of the RSPB. But instead there's nothing. No remorse, no regret, no embaressment, no witnesses and until they've sorted out the severance terms no royal scapegoat.

What a disgrace. The shame this family bring upon our once great nation continues.... makes you wonder what's next !

I cannot see why they are still patrons of such organisations when the world knows what their pastimes are!! It is an insult to all the dedication of the workers/volunteers. Why are the royals patrons of animal welfare organisations when they stand for so much killing of it themselves for their own personal pursuits? Beggared if I know!!

I cannot see why they are still patrons of such organisations when the world knows what their pastimes are!! It is an insult to all the dedication of the workers/volunteers. Why are the royals patrons of animal welfare organisations when they stand for so much killing of it themselves for their own personal pursuits? Beggared if I know!!

you'll be sure to point out any press releases from the RSPB/English Nature/National Trust on the barbarities of organised shoots of game. The fact of the matter is that most of these trusts have no problem with these activities when they act inside the law they just don't want to publicly announce it because they are too afraid to loose the charity of people such as yourself.

What a disgrace. The shame this family bring upon our once great nation continues.... makes you wonder what's next !

the royal family are one of the factors that make this Nation great.

Last edited:
you'll be sure to point out any press releases from the RSPB/English Nature/National Trust on the barbarities of organised shoots of game. The fact of the matter is that most of these trusts have no problem with these activities when they act inside the law they just don't want to publicly announce it because they are too afraid to loose the charity of people such as yourself.

the royal family are one of the factors that make this Nation great.

Sorry first sentences - not a clue what you mean, and regarding press releases, not a clue either!! People such as myself, not sure there either!! I have nothing to do with any wildlife organisations who have wildlife killing royalty as patrons.

Jacana - don't wish to be rude, but once upon a time the royals did make this nation great, but any halo they once had has been rattling round their ankles for decades now. When they actually DO something to make this nation great again, I may well change my mind, but until then, they are one of this nations greatest waste of time, money and space. In my own humble opinion!!

Last edited:
Hi there

Moving away from the Royals a bit, so other closely connected issues can be talked about and explored.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/news/details.asp?id=tcm:9-174070

http://www.rspb.org.uk/news/details.asp?id=tcm:9-169518

Here are recent links above to point out what the RSPB have been trying to do to try to allevate the problem about illegal killing of Hen Harriers/BoP'S. Is it just bad timing though?

There is a pledge which you can sign if you wish to or if you feel that it helps the cause. Signed the pledge here

Part of the issue:

'Only a year ago we welcomed the formation of a National Wildlife Crime Unit. Now, with funding under siege and the dedicated Police initiative launched to tackle the illegal killing of hen harriers, Operation Artemis wound up, our early optimism is looking ill-founded'.

Details on this LINK about HH'S past history. Hit link <Hen Harrier>.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/10/26/nbirds126.xml

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
[QUOTE

Again the most recent newsflash 1/11/2007 about the Hen Harriers in question

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,2202743,00.html

[/QUOTE]

Well it looks although there are three people being questioned in all now.

Some confessions are starting to emerge.

'the Queen's land agent in charge of the estate, said last night that Prince Harry had taken two guests out shooting for duck and pigeon'

Regards
Kathy

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back