• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 400D + Tamron200-500 (1 Viewer)

ody

Hi, everyone!
I want to upgrade from my SONY H5 to a DSLR. I thought of this combination:
Canon 400 D + tamron SP AF200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF). What do you think?
Has someone the same comb.? Is there, maybe, a better lense?
Thank you in advance.

Hi, everyone!
Thank you in advance.

Don't know about the combination, but I think you'll find most users of the lens will say there's no better at the price.

Hi, everyone!
Thank you in advance.

If it were me I would save your money and either buy a new/used copy of the canon 100-400 f5.6. Versitility, very fast and quiet focusing. Should think you can get a deal on one used or new and it is loads better then the sigma in terms of auto focus speed and image quality (even with a HSM sigma). Would be an awesome compliment to the 40D!

This thread is about the TAMRON 200-500 & canon 400D. I'd check out DOC's gallery before criticising this lens and the af on my Sigma 50-500 was, I reckon, a bit faster than the 100-400 i now own. IQ of these lenses I reckon is pretty similar. Again, in my opinion, IS is the advantage the Canon has, particularly over the Sigma. Build quality probably favours the Canon as well, but, in the right hands each will take great images.

Last edited:
It's the combination I use all the time. When looking at my pictures remember I'm a 'click and shoot' photographer with no photoshop skills (very few of my pics have ben altered post download) and very little composition ability.

Thank you all so much for your time.
I really think about CCRII,said!
Have you any internet adress for used equipment?

Thank you all so much for your time.
I really think about CCRII,said!
Have you any internet adress for used equipment?

Sorry if this is too late!

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10/0

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14&order=desc

http://www.dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36&page=3&order=desc

You might try a search in google for used camera shops in your area.

Hope this helps.

You cannot deny DOC's results. Doesn't hurt that he/she is in Israel where it is sunny quite a lot of the year. I think that would help any lens sparkle. The AF was slower on the 50-500mm Sigma I tested out, side by side with a canon 1-4.

Last edited:
Hi, everyone!
Thank you in advance.
I am afraid there will always be a better lens but the main problem with post like this is that it could well attract the 'my lens is better than your lens' brigade.

You cannot deny DOC's results. Doesn't hurt that he/she is in Israel where it is sunny quite a lot of the year. I think that would help any lens sparkle..

Perhaps you are right ... I use a similar combo (350D) in sunny Italy, "where it is sunny quite a lot of the year" (?!?!?!?! ;) ), yet this lens regularly provides me with far more light/speed than my 400mm f/5.6 + 1.4x TC combo, so my question is: why people in gloomy UK countryside, dark Canada woods, pitch-black jungle canopy etc etc should persevere in using this combo?

Perhaps you are right ... I use a similar combo (350D) in sunny Italy, "where it is sunny quite a lot of the year" (?!?!?!?! ;) ), yet this lens regularly provides me with far more light/speed than my 400mm f/5.6 + 1.4x TC combo, so my question is: why people in gloomy UK countryside, dark Canada woods, pitch-black jungle canopy etc etc should persevere in using this combo?

So your saying you use a Tampon er tamron 200-400 with a 350D and you find that combo to be better then the 400mm f/5.6 + 1.4x TC. The 1.4x tc does not work well with any lens less then f2.8 it will hunt and hunt. Even "where it's sunny quite a lot of the year" (lol).

So your saying you use a Tampon er tamron 200-400 with a 350D and you find that combo to be better then the 400mm f/5.6 + 1.4x TC. The 1.4x tc does not work well with any lens less then f2.8 it will hunt and hunt. Even "where it's sunny quite a lot of the year" (lol).

Well, not exactly ... I was just referring to the "sunny ... any lens sparkle" bit ;) .. mine was a kind of rhetorical reply, meaning that it's true that good lighting helps a lot in taking a good picture, but it's the man behind the camera doing all the rest: doc's pictures are regularly excellent, and that's mainly "because" of his skills, not "because" of the place he lives in ... Similarly, lots of good results are achieved by people using a "dark" kit (like my Canon combo: f/8) in bad lighting situations ...
As for the use of a TC, I wouldn't be so categorical in ruling out lenses with apertures less than f/2.8 to be used with a converter .. many of us here use them, and not all of us may enjoy the privilege of an f/2.8 lens ...
Cheers,
Max

So your saying you use a tamron 200-500 with a 350D and you find that combo to be better then the 400mm f/5.6 + 1.4x TC. The 1.4x tc does not work well with any lens less then f2.8 it will hunt and hunt. Even "where it's sunny quite a lot of the year" (lol).

Just for the record a 1.4x tc will work fine and AF very swiftly with a f4 lens too, I often use one on my 500 f4 and have not seen any noticeable slowing in the AF. As for using a taped 1.4x tc with an f5.6 lens, there are loads of people doing this and getting excellent results.

Well, not exactly ... I was just referring to the "sunny ... any lens sparkle" bit ;) .. mine was a kind of rhetorical reply, meaning that it's true that good lighting helps a lot in taking a good picture, but it's the man behind the camera doing all the rest: doc's pictures are regularly excellent, and that's mainly "because" of his skills, not "because" of the place he lives in ... Similarly, lots of good results are achieved by people using a "dark" kit (like my Canon combo: f/8) in bad lighting situations ...
As for the use of a TC, I wouldn't be so categorical in ruling out lenses with apertures less than f/2.8 to be used with a converter .. many of us here use them, and not all of us may enjoy the privilege of an f/2.8 lens ...
Cheers,
Max

I actually have tried to use the canon EF II 1.4x converter with my 30D and 1-4 zoom and it is atrocious! It hunts and hunts. Unless it is a clear/sunny day. Even then it is pretty slow compared to the 1-4 without TC. I'm glad that there are those that can get results with a slower/darker lens combo, but if it is only a bit more money for a faster/lighter lens I would do it so as to give myself every advantage. I agree with you that it is the photographer and not the equipment, but it does not hurt to have every advantage you can get. Also I did not mean that Doc's photos were only good because he lived in a predominately sunny climate. I just meant that when you have a lot of light you can do wonderful things and that it is much easier to get better results. I should have been more careful in my wording. I apologize.

Just for the record a 1.4x tc will work fine and AF very swiftly with a f4 lens too, I often use one on my 500 f4 and have not seen any noticeable slowing in the AF. As for using a taped 1.4x tc with an f5.6 lens, there are loads of people doing this and getting excellent results.

Yeah I guess I should have been more clear. I meant that the 1.4x does not work very well with a f5.6 or higher lens. This is what it says in the information for the TC. I have only tested it with my 1-4 zoom and it is almost unusable. Maybe I have a bad copy.

Yeah I guess I should have been more clear. I meant that the 1.4x does not work very well with a f5.6 or higher lens. This is what it says in the information for the TC. I have only tested it with my 1-4 zoom and it is almost unusable. Maybe I have a bad copy.
Reports suggest that the Kenko Pro 1.4tc (taped) works far better than the Canon when used with the 1-4 and 30D.
I have both the Canon 1.4 and Kenko Pro which I use with the 400mm f5.6 and they both work very well on the 30D body (centre Focus point)
The combo also works very well on the 40D body BUT not with the centre focus point selected, use any other focus point and it works fine.

Since Monday I am the owner of a Canon 400 D and a Canon 100-400 EF 4,5/5,6 L IS. I bought them from Athens with an CF 4GB card, 2.260 Euro.Canon will give me back for Camera and Lens 170 Euro.
Today I made some pics with this combination.
Here two of them!I know I have to learn lot of more...

Attachments

• Black_redstart.jpg
    Black_redstart.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 104
  • Linnet.jpg
    Linnet.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 111
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back