• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknow Bird--probably not native, San Diego, California, USA (1 Viewer)

kgravel

Hi Birders,

Perhaps you can help us with a little bird puzzle. We have seen this bird several times in our backyard (we have seen as many as three together at one time) and we have no idea what it is.

We are pretty sure it isn't native to the area (but I am no bird expert).

We have only seen them from a bit of a distance--they are usually hopping from tree to tree when we do see them--but they appear to be around two feet long from tail to beak, are dark blue with a white belly, and have some sort of crown on their head. We think they have made their home in a stand of Mission Palms in our yard.

We were able to get a couple O.K. pictures today--any help with an ID would be greatly appreciate because we are very curious about these birds because we have never seen anything like them around here before.

Thanks!

Kim

Attachments

• bird007small.JPG
    bird007small.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 245
  • Bird 004 smaller.jpg
    Bird 004 smaller.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 149
Welcome to BirdForum! ...and to the wonderful world of Black-throated Magpie-Jays. You're right that they're not native to southern California- their normal range is western Mexico. Here's a fine example from our gallery.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Mystery solved! We are only around 20 minutes from Mexico so its not too surprising that they are here, I guess. They may have just moved up this way, or perhaps someone brought them. Thank you so much for your responses!

Do you live in South Bay like in Imperial Beach. I work at Job Corps and have gotten some really good pictures of these guys myself. There are 4 in the flock and sound like conures but seem pretty friendly.They have 3-4 black feathers on their heads like a topknot and each feather is rounded on top.

Last edited:
Looks to me like it might be a Black-throated Magpie-Jay (conspecific with the White-throated Magpie-Jay); apparently it is endemic to western Mexico.

Hi All,

These are indeed Black-throated Magpie-Jays, though they are no longer considered to be conspecific with the White-throated M-J. They are endemic to to northwestern Mexico.

Chris

Thanks for clearing that up Jeff. If they were wild, they would have been the first records ever for the United States AFAIK.

Best,
Jim

There has been one at Estero Llano Grande State Park in Weslaco Texas for almost six months now. It too is thought to be feral.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back