• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice about house finch nesting... (1 Viewer)

Lausanne

I don't know if this is the place to ask but here goes.

In November we moved into an old farmhouse. There are metal awnings on some of the windows with empty nests in some of the underside corners. This morning the first pair of house finches showed up and were working on one of the nests. Unfortunately for the finches, my indoor cats like birdwatching too. Plus, my coming and going from the laundry room - which is where the window is located - is very disturbing to the pair. I'm wondering if I should discourage the pair from setting up house there since there is no way I can prevent disturbing them eventually. I'd love to have them there (so would my cats :) but I don't want them to settle in before they realize they'll be watched. If they need to abandon the site, I'd prefer they do it now, before they settle in.

My default is the just go about my business and let them decide. But I hate to see them go to the trouble if they will be disturbed later.

Sorry if I'm a bit silly about it. I spent four years in Sumatra recently and the plight of critters there has made me rather sensitive.

Thanks,
Lausanne

Hi Lausanne

I'm no expert, but I'd say go with your initial reaction of letting them decide. I'm sure if you continue with your normal activity around that area they will either settle in or look elsewhere.

It's not silly but rather nice to see your concern. Not that I'd expect any less from our group.

Christine.

nesting House Finches

I have the same concerns with the pair that is nesting on my balcony. Someone at Wild Birds Unlimmited suggested I brush my cats and put the hair out in a suet cage. Apparently they will use it to line their nest with. I hope they stay, but I cant give up my kitchen or balcony. My condo is just to small. I hope yours stick around

Cheers Luci

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back