• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long-tailed Duck at Oualidia: first record for Morocco and Africa (1 Viewer)

Acrocephalus

Morocco
A Long-tailed Duck (Clangula hyemalis) was photographed at Oualidia lagoon by a multinational birding team on 5-6 June 2014 (and still present today). Vaughan Ashby who sent me the picture commented that “this may well be the first record for Africa”, probably based on the fact that the species was listed in the Bird Checklist of Tunisia in Avibase.

Today, I checked the “Birds of Tunisia” (Isenmann et al 2005) and found that the species was not listed. Denis Lepage also commented that he “can’t find a source of the Tunisia record in Avibase, and looks like an error/unconfirmed sighting”.

So, it seems this is a true first for Africa.

Incredible record, particularly that it is in June - one could understand it in January or February, but June is just weird!

Did you get to see it yourself?

A remarkable record. Of course ... they are kept in captivity (in Europe) and escapes occur, which could them travel.

How many for eg Spain/Portugal?

Not Africa I know but only about 250km west of Tan Tan.
Back in May 2000 or 2001 i spent a week at Costa Teguise, Lanzarote with the family, seawatching was a daily event with the kids happily playing on the beach whilst I tried to find Bulwer`s Petrels etc. Surprise of the holiday was a pair of summer plumaged L.T.Ducks migrating north one day!

Yes, I mean continental Africa. Good record Rob, which point that it’s not impossible to see an arctic species at these low latitude at this time of year (May-Hune).

Nutcracker, no I haven’t seen the bird myself. I was sent the observation and the image by those who found it. I am aware that it was successfully twitched some 6 days later.

Now the question: if at Oualidia, what one would prefer, seeing an Andalusian Buttonquail or trying to see the Long-tailed Duck?

Now the question: if at Oualidia, what one would prefer, seeing an Andalusian Buttonquail or trying to see the Long-tailed Duck?

That's a wicked question Mo.... Most of us from up north would give our eye teeth for Andalusian Hemipode - as it was once called much to our amusement back in the early 60's when my Dad and I looked through the Peterson Guide.

That's a wicked question Mo.... Most of us from up north would give our eye teeth for Andalusian Hemipode - as it was once called much to our amusement back in the early 60's when my Dad and I looked through the Peterson Guide.

I know Jon, and this was my situation as well. Although I haven’t seen the Long-tailed Duck yet, I didn’t bother searching it in the lagoons and instead was enjoying the Andalusian Hemipode in the surrounding areas.

Last week I joined the Turnix team (Carlos Gutiérrez, Ruth García, Ernesto and I) to search of traces and evidence for presence/breeding of the Small Buttonquail in the Oualidia region (this is my first visit to this coastal area in a research study).

- As a birder, I enjoyed seeing several birds (some seen well at close range) and hearing some others (I have heard them before but never seen them).

- As a biologist, I think that the bird’s future is not so secure. Most likely GREPOM/BirdLife Morocco with whom we volunteered in this study will publish more about this aspect soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back