• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which microphone for parabolic setup? (1 Viewer)

moeze973

Hey everybody!

im planning to buy the sound devices mix pre 3 and the Telinga Universal Pro MK2 kit. Can someone recommend a microphone (setup, mono? stereo?) which allows for high quality recordings?

many thanks, cheers

Unless there is someone out there who already owns the same Telingra set up, you are not going to get a definitive answer probably. Your recorder can cope with just about anything in terms of microphones and if I were in your position, I would simply see which of my existing mics fits and experiment. I believe that the mount can be used with forward and rearward facing omni's and rearwards super cardoids (check), all will produce different results and have their uses.

While you can use condensor mics as you have phantom power, in broad terms they don't like the damp, so starting with a relatively inexpensive dynamic mic (they don't want phantom power), preferably with xlr connections makes sense while you get the feeling for things. Shure SM58s are the reliable almost indestructible standard for voice work, but may be a bit heavy/bulky for your purpose, there are many inexpensive clones.
Microphones are a bit like camera lenses, the kit you use with them comes and goes, but your microphone collection tends to define who you are.

My advice is as ever pick something that looks as if it will fit, all manufacturers give dimensions of their mics. Don't spend too much money and work with it to get the best out of it and then you will have a much better idea of what you might want to spend a bit more money on. It is possible that you may end up prefering the cheaper microphone - it happens.

You might want to check with Studiocare in Liverpool. They handle the Telanga and a wide range of microphones. I think they would have some good suggestions. They also carry a parabolic microphone that is an alternative to the Telinga.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back