• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

House direction (1 Viewer)

GustavoMoura

Hey guys,

This is my first post, so I hope I am in the right place. I live in Westchester, NY, and am hoping to put up two nestboxes that I made in my backyard. One is for Black-Capped Chickadees and one for Red-Bellied Woodpeckers. There are four trees in my garden that might do the job. I know that the houses should be facing a specific direction but don't know what that should be. I saw that it should be against the wind, but I can't seem to find any information on the wind direction in Westchester. What would be the best direction to put them facing? Also, are any of these trees by far better for the certain species, or should they all do the job? (the first one is probably not good because of the trampoline, but let me know what you guys think)

Thanks,

Gustavo

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 6
Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

All my next boxes are facing east and they are always full ;)

I hope the nestbox for the woodpecker will be successful. I also tried it for Great Spotted Woodpecker but they didn't accept the boxes. AFAIK woodpeckers need boxes to work at. They won't accept boxes with pre-installed entrance holes to move into the next box. Would you mind to share some pics of your boxes?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back