Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Sick Hummingbird? Or torpor?

Old Friday 28th December 2018, 02:54   #1
TheBlackPhoebe

Unhappy Sick Hummingbird? Or torpor?

Hi Everyone,

I have a bunch of Hummingbird feeders around my house. Two days ago I saw a Hummingbird on one of my feeders that was puffed up and doing a slight rocking motion. I walked up a little closer to see if he needed help but he flew away. I noticed when he flew away it was slower than they usually fly. He flew to a bush and landed on a leaf not far from the feeder, then went to another bush. I was trying to keep track of him but eventually couldn’t find it anymore. So today it was around the same time of day, maybe like 5:30. It looked like the same one doing the same thing. He was kinda sticking his tounge out a little but and opened his beak a couple times. I went again to try to see if he needed help or if I could take him to the wildlife rehabilitation but he flew away again. Anyone know what this could be? I live in San Diego so it’s not freezing outside but it is getting a little chilly. Could he be going in torpor? I hate watching it thinking that he might be suffering but there’s nothing I can do. Any feedback or answers would be much appreciated.
Old Sunday 17th March 2019, 17:21   #2
SuzuKube

I'm sad :( I don't know how to help, mine are not moving in the trees but i think it's torpor but they don't run away !
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: