• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird warching locations near Macclesfield (1 Viewer)

Hi Brimag and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I can fiend two locations in The Opus that are mention to be near Macclesfield. The first is

Tegg's Nose

The second is actually in north Staffs, but not too far from south Macclesfield and is Tittesworth Reservoir.

You'll get access to some more sites in Cheshire from this page.

I hope you enjoy your time here with us.

I remember trying to visit Tegg's Nose country park years ago as a student in Manchester. It was winter, and I recall we walked from the station towards the country park, reaching an access track where the snow was piled up to the top of the dry-stone walls. After sinking waist-deep, we gave up and turned our attention to finding a pub back in the town.

This doesn't help answer your question (and I'm sure Tegg's Nose is delightful in warmer weather), but it does illustrate that upland sites aren't always that great at this time of year. I'd focus on lowland and wetland sites in east Cheshire, of which I believe there are many.

Cheshire and the Wirral Bird Atlas is viewable online: http://www.cheshireandwirralbirdatlas.org/ and will give you a flavour of where the well-watched sites are.

Manchester Birding Forum https://manchesterbirding.activeboard.com/ should also cover your area

Hi there. Any recommendations on bird watching sites in the Macclesfield area?

Thanks

There's wealth of locations. Goyt Valley, from the sailing club upto the top on the Cat and Fiddle road. Depends when but excellent for migrants in Spring. Red grouse at the top, Stonechat on the way up, Dipper, Grey Wagtail, birds of prey. Short-eared owls, Raven. Sadly a much persecuted area though.

Wildboarclough, passerines and Dipper.

Ridgegate and Trentabank can deliver all sorts of wildfowl and grebes.

Phil

Thanks for your very helpful answers - apart from the joke!

Does anyone know if you can just turn up at Rosetherne Mere observation hut during the week? The website suggests to ring ahead but I can't find a phone number...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back