• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swans in Denmark (1 Viewer)

pablopg

Good morning,

The quality of the picture is not very good and the birds are very far away, but is possible to know if they are whooper or mute swans? Picture from Copenhaguen in February.

Thanks in advance!

Pablo

Attachments

• DSC04362OK.jpg
    DSC04362OK.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 223
Tundra (Bewick's) Swan. I think the yellow on the bill is confined to above the nostril, ie projecting less than on Whooper wiith a square abrupt end, visible on left hand bird.

Whoopers for me - the bill looks too elongated for Bewick's. They look like 1st-winter birds, with less distinct bill patterning. Also Whooper much more frequent than Bewick's in Denmark.

Whooper for me on first sight but agree with Andy about bill markings so must be Bewick's?

Last edited:
size difference is LH Bird 7.5 cm and RH Bird 6.8 cm on my monitor. However RH Bird has a shorter neck by 0.5 cm, possibly due to it sagging where the LH Bird's neck is straight. I can't see the bill on the RH Bird enough to discern a pattern. As I don't know how far away they were, I don't know if the size difference is within normal variation. Further, the bill of the larger bird led me towards Tundra (Bewick's) Swan, so the smaller probably isn't a Whooper Swan. Does anyone know if males or females are larger per se?

Concensus on Bewick's?

To be honest they look more goose than swan in jizz of the Bewick's/Whooper pair imo so inasmuch as a photo snapshot goes another for Bewick's ...

Concensus on Bewick's?

I'm not convinced. As Nutcracker says, Bewick's is a rare bird in Denmark - I lived in Copenhagen for five years and it remains a gap on my Danish list. Given its status, I'm not convinced these photos would be good enough to prove Bewick's swan, even if that's what they were. That said, checking the records, one or two Bewick's were seen around Copenhagen this February so it would be useful to know precise date and location to see if Bewick's would have been a possibility at the time.

Whoopers for me too. Attached photo montage with 2 Bewick's on left and 2 Whoopers on right.

Neck proportions in relation to total length/shape is too long and slim for Bewick's IMO.

Attachments

• Swans.jpg
    Swans.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Still Whoopers for me too; more so in fact with Steve's useful comparison pics showing well how much shorter-necked Bewick's is :t:

Could I ask the panel their opinion on this small group of Swans seen heading north along the Black sea coast of Bulgaria last month please?
Of no consequence either way as I saw plenty of both over the winter but just to try and improve my ID skills!

Thanks and apologies to the OP!

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_4303thumb.jpg
    IMG_4303thumb.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_4304thumb.jpg
    IMG_4304thumb.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 40
Still Whoopers for me too; more so in fact with Steve's useful comparison pics showing well how much shorter-necked Bewick's is :t:

So ignoring the apparent bill markings in favour of a subjective feature?

As I said though, my instant reaction was Whooper.

Last edited:
So ignoring the apparent bill markings in favour of a subjective feature?

As I said though, my instant reaction was Whooper.
With the low pic quality, plus seeing the bills from below, I don't think the pattern can be made out reliably. Better to go for the larger structural features, which made your instant reaction too :t:

Could I ask the panel their opinion on this small group of Swans seen heading north along the Black sea coast of Bulgaria last month please?
Of no consequence either way as I saw plenty of both over the winter but just to try and improve my ID skills!

Thanks and apologies to the OP!

Chris
Yours look shorter-necked; I'd be inclined to go for Bewick's for these.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back