• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What year did Alick Moore pass away? (1 Viewer)

G Magyar

My question relates more to the etymology of bird checklists rather than that of birds themselves. I am curious to know when Alick Moore (co-author of the original Howard and Moore checklist) passed away.

I could not find biographical data on Richard A. Forster, assistant to Edward S. Gruson in his bird checklist, either. I assume it was the same person who was on the board of the Massachusetts "Bird Observer".

I cannot find a damn thing about his death. Went through pages & pages in Google and nothing about his death.

He died somewhere in the late 1990s.

In description of the Howard and Moore Complete Checklist:

”A revised edition appeared in 1991 with Academic Press. Three years later Alick added an Appendix, in fact an update, in a 1994 reprint – which should have been called the third edition but wasn’t! Following Alick’s early death an extensively revised 3rd edition was developed under the management of Edward Dickinson involving a Regional Consultant for each of five regions."

Last edited:
Re Moore he was born 23 July 1931 in Abingdon, Berks.
Death registered April 1995, Norwich, Norfolk.

Assuming Richard A. Forster is the one who lived in Acton and Framington MA. He was born on 24 April 1944 and died on 1 April 1997.

Cheers

Last edited:
I thank you all for the information, my admiration goes especially to Paul from Christchurch who either has secretely a much more powerful search engine than Google or he knows the ornithologist world in and out by heart from Scotland to Massachusetts.

Gábor

OK, just to take Paul down a peg, there is no such town as Framington, Massachusetts.

I assume he meant Framingham, which isn't too far from Acton.

There is a Farmington Mass.
Ancestry dot com has a public record for Alick Gibson Moore from 1995 in Norfolk. Behnd a pay wall. I am guessing a death record with birth details on it?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back