• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

jelskii (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

No addition on the key but I have a question about Konstanty Roman Jelski. Here is written:

16 luty 1837 – narodziny w dworze Lada (parafia Smiłowicze, powiat ihumenski), ok. 35 km na południowy wschód od Minska

Is this Malyye Lyady (Малые Ляды) where he was born? I briefly mentioned him here in the past.

But Konstanty Jelski (1837-1896) seems to be of russian origin if The Eponym Dictionary of Birds is correct. If he was born in Minsk it was part of the Russian Empire from 1813 till 1917.

"Малые Ляды" means "Small Lyady"; this is a bit more than 35 km (as a bird flies) ESE of Minsk centre; there is a Ляды just to the S of it.
"parafia Smiłowicze" means Smiłowicze parish; in Belarusian: Смілавічы / Smilavichy, roughly 5 km to the SW of Малые Ляды.
"powiat ihumenski" means 'Igumenian' district; Ігумен / Igumen is the former name of the town of Чэрвень / Chervyen'. This is a further 20-25 km ESE of "Малые Ляды".

Just want to mention he was also a botanist and geographer (and not only a zoologist) if we read here p. 207 till 219 (all in english). From page 197 till 201 are a lot more dedications in zoology and botany for this gentleman.

Last edited:
Jelsika

I know that a spider is not appropriate in a bird form. But as it is about the same person I place my question here.

Taczanowski introduced this new genus Jelsika here for (I assume) Chinoscopus gracilis. I do understand that Jelaika Bourguignat, 1877 (a mollusque) can't be used as peoccupied by Taczanowski. But why have Simon here preference over Taczanowski? I am not clear what e.g. the name Epicharmus has an influence on priority?

Even if Chinoscopus replaces Asemonea from Asamonea flava Peckham, Peckham & Wheeler, 1889 here I see the priority at Jelsika.

Last edited:
I know that a spider is not appropriate in a bird form. But as it is about the same person I place my question here.

Taczanowski introduced this new genus Jelsika here for (I assume) Chinoscopus gracilis. I do understand that Jelaika Bourguignat, 1877 (a mollusque) can't be used as peoccupied by Taczanowski. But why have Simon here preference over Taczanowski? I am not clear what e.g. the name Epicharmus has an influence on priority?

Even if Chinoscopus replaces Asemonea from Asamonea flava Peckham, Peckham & Wheeler, 1889 here I see the priority at Jelsika.
Jelskia Taczanowski actually dates from an earlier paper: [here] (same journal, volume 8 instead of 9).
OINS: Jelskia longipes Taczanowski and Jelskia unicolor Taczanowski -- one of these (and not gracilis) must be the type.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back