• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Svalbard June 2019 (1 Viewer)

Paul Collins

Hi, this June I'm looking for people to join me on the Norwegian archipelago of Svalbard this summer. I have a small group of birdwatchers and nature-lovers, photographers, filmmakers and artists coming, so whatever your interest there is opportunity to fulfil it!

I'm going from 1st June to 13th June so you'd be welcome for any amount of time within that period.

Full details on my website, and message through the link if you're interested

http://www.paulalistaircollins.co.uk/workshop-arctic-adventure

**Please note this is not a workshop but a private non-commercial holiday I am organising.

This is an amazing chance to see animals such as Blue and Beluga Whales, Walrus, Arctic Foxes, Reindeer, seabird colonies and maybe even Polar Bears in the stunning setting of the Norwegian fjords. Staying in a traditional timber lodge, with exploration of the local region’s wildlife and culture, this trip is much more affordable than other Arctic trips as we'll be staying put in Longyearbyen with day trips to glaciers and smaller islands.

Birds we saw last year included:
King Eider, Steller's Eider (very rare), Common Eider, Long-Tailed Duck, Pink-Footed Goose, American Snow Goose (very rare), Svalbard Ptarmigan, Red-Throated Diver, Grey Phalarope, Red-Necked Phalarope, Little Auk, Brunnich's Guillemot, Black Guillemot, Common Guillemot, Puffin, Arctic Skua, Glaucous Gull, Kittiwake, Purple Sandpiper, "Blue" Fulmar, Snow Bunting.
Plus locally rare shorebirds like Golden Plover and Dunlin, and a small chance of rare gulls (Sabine's, Ross's, Ivory).

Can't do it, but I like the idea. I'll keep an eye on your website for future trips.

Hi Arbu, would you like to be added to my monthly newsletter? I have details on upcoming trips and workshops that I do, and other photography-related posts.

Could you give an indication of price - I'd like to have an idea before deciding whether it's worth contacting you, and your website doesn't give this information.

Could you give an indication of price - I'd like to have an idea before deciding whether it's worth contacting you, and your website doesn't give this information.

Hi,

There is some flexibility to the "Included Trip Costs" (see that section below) as it's very dependent on how many people confirm. Things like car hire will be cheaper when divided between more people - so the overall price should go down!

I'll be in Svalbard from 3rd to 13th June with my co-organiser Mattia.
Currently we have other people coming for 5 day/night stays within that period (some come the 3rd-8th, and some come for the 7th-13th). More availability for the 3rd-8th. We're a mix of wildlife enthusiasts, photographers, filmmakers and possibly one or two artists. You'd be welcome to come for however long you want, but I'll give costs below based on 5 days and the full 10 days.

Accommodation Options at the Polar Rig in Longyearbyen

Shared Occupancy Room for 5 nights - £277 per person (£554 for room)
Shared Occupancy Room for 10 nights - £554 per person (£1118 for room)
Single Occupancy Room for 5 nights - £535 total
Single Occupancy Room for 10 nights - £1070 - £1070 total

Currently everyone has booked either singles or shared doubles, so if you wanted a shared room we'd need to find someone to share.

Flights

From London Stansted to Longyearbyen return, via Oslo, is approximately £500.

Included Trip Costs

See my website for what's included and not included. (this of course also excludes the accommodation which I've listed above separately) > http://www.paulalistaircollins.co.uk/workshop-arctic-adventure

5 Nights - between £660 and £720 - likely to lower after people have confirmed their spot on the trip
10 Nights - between £1100 and £1360

Add-on (not included) boat trips and flights

Some people will be doing additional boat excursions for the whales, bears, glaciers and Pyramiden ghost town, which are organised through local tour operator Better Moments. We will arrange the best tour costs with them, as we can tailor their packages to suit our interests and group numbers. These are just the prices quoted on their site.

Walrus Safari (with whales and seabirds en route) - 2390Nok / £215pp maximum - negotiable

Pyramiden Town and Glacier and bears - 1650Nok / £148 maximum - negotiable
Whale sightings are possible from the land, especially Belugas which come into the town's bay, and from other excursions.

HOPE THAT HELPS!
PAUL

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back