• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for a nice birding Lodge in SE arizona (1 Viewer)

loranfrfr

I am birder who happen to be a new dad. My wife and I were thinking about going to SE arizona (no hard core birding, but some new birds would be nice). With the baby, the logistics are really tough, and we will probably be able to go birding at most 2/3 hours a day. The rest of the time we will probably stay at the lodge.

Anybody has a lodge to recommend? It would be nice to have a relaxing time, and still be able to see some cool birds...

Hi, there is a lodge in Madera Canyon, south of Tucson. The canyon is quite "birdy" and has a number of Arizona specialties including hummingbirds, Flame-colored Tanager, and others. Web site for the lodge is: http://www.santaritalodge.com/ I have never stayed at the lodge, but have gone by it a number of times, it looks like a nice place.
Hope this helps.
Lisa

Larry is right, quite a variety in Portal. Also might be nice for the peace and quiet. I didn't have time to look it up this morning.

Hi, there is a lodge in Madera Canyon, south of Tucson. The canyon is quite "birdy" and has a number of Arizona specialties including hummingbirds, Flame-colored Tanager, and others. Web site for the lodge is: http://www.santaritalodge.com/ I have never stayed at the lodge, but have gone by it a number of times, it looks like a nice place.
Hope this helps.
Lisa

I'm pretty sure I stayed here for a night a few years ago (in April I think)

Lots of Hummers at the feeders, a Skunk at night! Sparrows and Woodpeckers all about and Red-faced Warbler up the Old Baldy Trail. Painted Redstart was right above the lodge. Lots of other goodies (Elf Owl for example) although I missed the Elegant Trogon seen that morning.

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back