• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Violet Carpenter Bee in Romania? (1 Viewer)

Mark Eising

Registered Member
I think this is a Violet Carpenter Bee (Xylocopa violacea).
I found it in the Macin Mountains, Tulcea County, Romania, on 22 May 2018
Does anybody think so or otherwise?

Attachments

• Violet Carpenter Bee. Xylocopa violacea. Macin Mountains, Tulcea County, Romania, 22 May 2018 5.JPG
    Violet Carpenter Bee. Xylocopa violacea. Macin Mountains, Tulcea County, Romania, 22 May 2018 5.JPG
    354.9 KB · Views: 85
  • Violet Carpenter Bee. Xylocopa violacea. Macin Mountains, Tulcea County, Romania, 22 May 2018 2.JPG
    Violet Carpenter Bee. Xylocopa violacea. Macin Mountains, Tulcea County, Romania, 22 May 2018 2.JPG
    287.6 KB · Views: 16
It certainly looks like a Xylocopa but there are, I believe, three species in Romania (Xylocopa iris (Christ, 1791),
Xylocopa valga Gerstäcker, 1872 and Xylocopa violacea (Linnaeus, 1758)). How one tells them apart I'm not sure (especially the last two).

Thank you Honeym! You are right. It is either X. violacea or X. valga. Not X. iris because that one is much smaller and has a bluish body.

This is some relevant info that I found:
Carpenter bee males are easy to distinguish under field conditions: in X. violacea, antenna segments 11 and 12 are orange and the segment 13 (apical) is black and characteristically curved, whereas X. valga males have black straight antennae.
A stereoscopic microscope is needed to study females of both carpenter bee species. Their antennae differ with regard to the length of the base segment (shorter in X. valga) as well as the number and distribution of sharp minute denticles on the exterior surface of hind tibia (more numerous in X. valga).

So I guess it can not be a ID 100% from these photos.

I used to live in a log home close to some woods. Every summer we received visits from nearby carpenter bees. These guys did some wicked damage to the log walls, and the males would do false dives for your head when you went outside. They never stung. But made lots of dives. I used to hear, however, that the queen--if disturbed--would sting.

Kentucky Carpenter Bee information from Pinterest.

Oh well. A Kentucky woods story from my past.

o:D

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back