• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gryfalcon vs peregrinefalcon (1 Viewer)

Hello all,
It has occurred to me that this is becoming a big thing and I want the right answer instead of using googles unhelpful facts so if anyone could reply telling me their thoughts mine being the peregrine but it honestly depends on who sees each other first but I want to know everyone else's views so comment back to me and share your thoughts :)

Is the question who is likely going to win in a fight? The answer would be Gyrfalcon. There's been a few recorded cases of Peregrines killing larger raptors, but that was in nest defence via an aerial ramming attack, where the intruding bird didn't see the Peregrine coming. The reason they defend their nests so aggressively is because the adult birds are subject to predation from larger raptor such as eagle owls (who like to raid nests at night) and large eagles; IIRC there's also been one case of a Gyrfalcon catching a Peregrine in flight. And obviously the nestlings are vulnerable to a wide range of potential predators.

Hi Sangahyando,
Yes, this was the answer I was looking for thanks for getting back to me but another question is would the gyrfalcon eat a peregrine and why are falcons at conflict with each other?

Birds of prey will eat anything they can reasonably expect to subdue, especially notably aggressive birds like falcons that have to eat regularly.

Peregrines are smaller but faster in the stoop, but Gyr's are said to be slightly faster over level flight. I'm not sure how often they would actually fight each other, because of the risk of injury. As males are smaller, a small male Gyr may struggle against a large female Peregrine for instance.

No easy answers. Both are supreme raptors.

But yes the Gyr overall is top falcon predator.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back