• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

your favorite field guide (1 Viewer)

torrent

Back when I bought my Petersons, it was pretty much the only choice, Audobon's as well I guess. Now that we have a few new field guides I was wondering what all you American and Canadian birders are using. I know most of us like to collect as many as we can, the more the better , right? But which one spends the most time in the field with u? Peterson, Kaufman, sibleys, stokes, audobons, N. Geo or maybe someting else. I'd love to here your opinion on which is the best field guide, if there is one that is. Personally I mainly use Peterson and have N. Geo for reference. Recently I've been thinking of getting a new one, maybe Kaufmans. Whats your opinion?

Craig

Hi Craig, I spend a fair amount of time in America and agree with you that Peterson is a very good Field Guide.I use that and the Sibley Guide and find them sufficient for ID purposes.
Personally I've never rated the Nat Geo and find the Audubons awful,but the Stokes and Smithsonian Birds of North America are good for additional information and photos.

Hi, Torrent.

You'll get as many answers as there are birders on this one. Everyone has their own reasons for their preferences.

I've used the National Geographic 3rd edition for several years -- have just never gotten around to buying the 4th ed. My life list is written in it and it's always with me in the car. It's served me well.

I've found the very BEST field guide of all, though, is just to be out birding with better birders.

Beverlybaynes said:
Hi, Torrent.

You'll get as many answers as there are birders on this one. Everyone has their own reasons for their preferences.

I've used the National Geographic 3rd edition for several years -- have just never gotten around to buying the 4th ed. My life list is written in it and it's always with me in the car. It's served me well.

I've found the very BEST field guide of all, though, is just to be out birding with better birders.
From one Craig to Another: Amen to Beverly. This is so highly subjective you will never get a complete consensous. I find the digitaly enhanced photos in some of the newer guides to be to severe for my taste. Having said that, I am now experimenting with American Bird Conservancy's Field Guide, "ALL THE BIRDS OF NORTH AMERICA". " a revolutionary system based on feeding behaviors and field-recognizable features" end quote. Because it has so much more text it is somewhat bulky, although not as large as Stokes. It's still hard to beat my 1969 hard cover Peterson, except that it doesn't have range maps. Have it index tabbed, and it fits in a large hip pocket.
Craig

Craig,
Not to change the subject, but what did you use for your index tabs? I haven't found anything that holds up very well.
Thanks,

Other Craig,
I have the Peterson guides and feel they are very good for field ID's. Their artwork is excellent, their text on habits, etc. is minimal. I've used the Sibley (though don't own it yet) and find it a great addition for all the additional plumages / ages shown.

For what it's worth, I've tabbed my NG, as well. I just use those little 'post-it' tabs from 3M you can find in the office supply stores. I think they may be called 'flags'. They're quite small (less than 1/2 x 1/2), but you can still write enough on them to find your place.

I don't think I've ever lost one in the several years they've been stuck on -- and the guide has been dropped into water and mud, etc., along the way.

If you peel one off, it will have marked the page a bit, but the sticky part is also rather small, so if you're not picky about that, it's not a problem.

It will NOT make your guide look any better, but it's been a great help to me!

I don't actually use a field guide ie a book in the field.A book is to cumbersome to tote around.I have Peterson's book at home as quick reference when I get back.The Peterson CDRom is even better giving me everything in the book plus the songs.If I had to choose I do like RT Peterson the best.
Sam

For AFrica - Field Guide to the Birds of East Africa (OK for West & Southern Africa too except no maps for there). Layout & plates superb. The best by far.

I use a Smithsonian Handbook Birds Of Western North America a lot. It has good images and descriptions, but it's a little bulky to go into the field. I use my old National Geographic (by old I mean 2nd edition) book.

With photos, Stokes, also Audubon at times. WITH Illustrations: no clear favorite, use both Peterson and Sibley. On trips, sometimes All The Birds due to size..small.

How do you guys feel about Ken Kauffman's book? I like the whole idea of the digitally enhanced photos but kinda wish he would've stuck with the taxonomical(?) order. How about the text in the book? Is it quite informative or just the basics?

Thanks for the answers so far, it's intersting to hear peoples views on the different FGs.

Presently, I'm using Sibley's Eastern in the field. My other choice would be Nat. Geo. The only problem is that it's a bit bulkier to carry. I own a number of other guides including Peterson's but have never liked it because the range maps are not with the rest of the species information, something that I believe is fixed in the latest edition.
If the publishers would split the Nat. Geo. into east and west, it would be my favourite.
Some one commented on the RTP CD rom. I have it, but have to say that it is very poor compared to the Cornell "Guide to Birds of North America" program. The Cornell version has over 2700 photos and 1200 songs etc.

snowyowl said:
Presently, I'm using Sibley's Eastern in the field. My other choice would be Nat. Geo. The only problem is that it's a bit bulkier to carry. I own a number of other guides including Peterson's but have never liked it because the range maps are not with the rest of the species information, something that I believe is fixed in the latest edition.
If the publishers would split the Nat. Geo. into east and west, it would be my favourite.
Some one commented on the RTP CD rom. I have it, but have to say that it is very poor compared to the Cornell "Guide to Birds of North America" program. The Cornell version has over 2700 photos and 1200 songs etc.

On your point about Peterson,Dan,the edition I have has small-scale range maps with the main bird pages and large-scale in the back of the book.
To me this is a very good system for distribution/range and easier to fathom out than the small Sibley maps.

My favorite guide is Stan Takiela's Birds of Michigan. Good photos and notes. For beginners like me, his "compare" notes help distinguish between look-alike birds. He has state-by-state guides for 40 states. Oh! I just discovered the second edition will be out soon and includes an audio CD. His website is http://www.naturesmart.com/

If I can't find a bird in that guide, I also have the Audubon guide. I use that one very infrequently.

Yeah, i was just looking at the eastern Peterson's 5th edition. That's a pretty sweet new system, do any of you guys know if they are planning on releasing a new western edition with similar updates? Thx for the input so far on the different guides. It's overwhelming how many there are to choose from, North American's should feel lucky.
When I was growing up in Chile the only field guide available was with black and white sketches without any maps either, just a description of where they could be located. Just recently a full color plate FG has been released down there! My brother who still lives there says it's amazing. If only that had been around when I lived there. Maybe this will help increase interest in birding down there and hopefully improve the conservation efforts.

Birding experiences in Chile are so diverse, from watching three of the worlds six flamingos in one salt flat in the Andes to staring in amazement as you watch the worlds largest(body size) hummingbird fly by with the whirring sound of a small airplane. Ahhh! I miss it so much. sniff sniff. hehe, anyways.

Look forward to hearing more on your FG opinions.

BTW- I just realized that I should've posted this thread in a different part of the forum. Sorry, still finding my way around here. maybe one of you mods can transfer it over to its respective place.

Birds of Columbia by Steve Hilty

not used in Colombia yet but hope to one day. It's great for Peru and we used it more than the latest Peru guide. It is a truly amazing guide and by far the best text i've ever read.....light years ahead of its time.

in West. Pal. I really like the Middle Eastern Macmillan guide - loads of info on just the tricky stuff and excellent anatomically correct plates by Alan Harris that actually show lots of the features mentioned in the text

An interesting set of books are the penguin nature guides which were edited and drawn by Lars Johnsson,these were the forerunner to his Birds of Europe field guide.
John

Grousemore said:
On your point about Peterson,Dan,the edition I have has small-scale range maps with the main bird pages and large-scale in the back of the book.
To me this is a very good system for distribution/range and easier to fathom out than the small Sibley maps.
Sounds like its time for me to check out the newest edition.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back