• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with the Nikon D90 DSLR (1 Viewer)

Neil, how would you compare the Nikon D90 digiscoped images with (a) your Coolpix 5100 images and (b) your Canon A590IS images? Do you find that the D90's 920,000 pixel LCD screen helps, assuming you are using the Live View feature of the DSLR?

Sorry I've been a bit tardy with this thread over the last week. We've had a fantastic week for light here and low humidity at last so I've been out every day taking over 20 gigs/day. I'm still catching up.
Some nice images being posted which shows what can be done with the D90.
I'm getting to know the Nikon P6000 which I'm more and more impressed with.
Lot's of megs to play with and the RAW is very nice to have, although slow.
It's better than the P5100 but more difficult to fit to eyepieces . I usually use it off the adapter on my special balance bar. The Canon A590IS will work with any eyepiece (fixed or zoom ) and has lot's of nice features but it's poor screen let's it down for outside work.
Where you want AF and quiet operation ( there are places I photograph where any noise at all spooks the birds ) I'll use the P6000. Where I have time to focus ( I'm a bit slow in the manual focus area ) and the birds are in the range 20 - 50 metres I'll use the D90 ( I'm using the 20/2.8 lens so range is a bit limited ).
Neil.

Well, first let me say I like the camera to do as much of the work as possible, both shooting and post-processing. Getting good focus manually with the ED82 is hard enough and pixel peeping pics on a PC is not my idea of a fun night! So my style and methods may be "heresy" to those who prefer maximum control and like playing in Photoshop.

My end game is to have an image good enough to print directly from the camera/memory card, bypassing the need for a PC. If I can get a high "keeper ratio" I can quickly pick and choose my shots on the train ride home from my outing. Then I just pop into the local print kiosk to get my prints done while I have a few beers at the pub. I prefer prints as no monitor I have can really do the image justice.

That said, I have only had the D90 for a few weeks with only about 800 shots so far. My "keeper ratio" is only about 1:10 now, so I am having to take about 200 shots per outing to get anything worth printing. Way too many pics to easily sort through in camera! I am still tweaking the settings, particularly the Picture Controls and I only have the Nikon View NX and Capture NX2 demo to post process with. The D90 has much more dynamic range the my D40 and I am having to adjust my methods to compensate. I am thinking I may need several Custom Picture Controls to get more keepers.

Of course, with the FSA-L1 the camera Mode Dial is set to Aperture Priority. Metering is set to MATRIX (somtimes Center Weighted if I can get close enough for the bird to fill the view, HA!) Exposure Compensation and sometimes Active D-Lighting are adjusted depending on the Playback Histogram. I shoot Continuous H4.5fps and sometime Remote shutter release modes.

So here are my current D90 Menu settings:

Shooting Menu
Picture Control "BIRDS" - modified VIVID with Sharpening 7, Saturation -1, Hue 0 (Active D-Lighting is ON -Auto so Contrast and Brightness are not unavailable)
Image Quality - RAW (eventually Normal JPEG once I get the Pic Control tweeked)
White Balance -Auto
ISO Sensitivity settings - Auto ISO ON, Range 200-3200, Min shutter speed 1/250 (I raise/lower min shutter depending on light conditions and the movement of the bird. Ideally, I want to keep ISO ≤800 with a shutter of 1/500 for still birds, and 1/1600 for birds in flight)
Active D-Lighting -Auto (may change this if I can't get Contrast toned down in Picture Control)
Color Space - Adobe RGB (eventually sRGB to save having to convert later for prints)
Long exp NR - OFF
High ISO NR- High (only kicks in above ISO800)

The rest of the Shooting Menu is not important.

Custom Settings Menu (*changed from default)
a2-WIDE
a3-OFF
a5-ON
a7-NORM
c5-15m
d1-OFF
d2-ON
d3-ISO
d7-ON
d10- Usually OFF but depends on shutter speed
f3-ACCESS TOP ITEM MY MENU

My Menu
Set Picture Control
ISO Sensitivity Settings
ISO Sensitivity auto control
d10 Exposure delay mode
e4 Auto Bracketing set

That's it. Hope it helps!
Rick

Thanks Rick, much appreciated !

Picked up the new Nikon AF-S F1.4 50mm last night as I expect to be taking lots of indoor party pics this holiday season. I also have been intrigued with the afocal pics Neil has been getting with his Swaro rig and since I have a full set of the Nikon 30x/50x/75x DS eyepieces I can experiment to see if I prefer this method to the FSA-L1 adapter. I like the idea of getting some auotfocus help and the ability to get more image scale by swapping out eyepieces instead of cropping.

cheers,
Rick

I will be interested in your results with the D90 and 50mm 1.4 Rick.
I am not happy with my D90 and 35mm 2.0 with the same scope and eyepieces you have.
I don't get reliable metering, ok it's winter here so a lot of time we don't get good light.
I am undecided if I need to go with a 24 or 28mm lens, Neil is using a 20mm.
keep us informed please Rick.

I miss the better ISO, focusing and FPS of the D90, have reverted back to the P5100 for now.

Malcolm

Out at our local bayside bird park today expecting to get shots of the usual suspects. Walking along I heard a ruckus in the thick sasa next to the path. Figured is was a feral cat since it seemed to follow me. Gave the sasa a whack with my tripod and out flew a flock of these Japanese White Eye. Taken from about 8m through thick trees. Nikon D90 thru ED82 + FSA-L1 adapter. No processing other than resizing. Probably one of my best digiscoping pics to date!:D

Attachments

• Japanese White Eye.JPG
    Japanese White Eye.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 302
Thanks for this great thread guys, it makes really good reading.

I have the D90 and I mainly use the Sigma 150-500mm for birding. I can understand how the D90 - FSA-L1 and ED82 combination work as there is a good Nikon video on YT. What I'm struggling with is some of you appear to be using your normal Nikon prime lenses with the D90 and the scope but I can't work out how they all go together.

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back