• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon P7000 for Digiscoping (1 Viewer)

The firmware update 1.1 is out for the P7000 which addresses some of the Auto Focusing and Raw processing issues. I installed it today so hope it helps.
Neil
ps bad weather here is stopping me from digiscoping for the time being.

The firmware update 1.1 is out for the P7000 which addresses some of the Auto Focusing and Raw processing issues. I installed it today so hope it helps.
Neil
ps bad weather here is stopping me from digiscoping for the time being.

Thanks Neil for the update on the firmware. I have returned the demo unit back and now waiting for my own P7000 by Xmas. I hope the RAW processing would be much faster similar like JPG if possible especially on faster memory card :king:

I'm going to test the 25LER EDG eyepiece with videocamera and see the level of vignetting (if any) hopefully by today if not raining ...

P5100 vs P7000

I have been digiscoping for about 4 years with my P5100 attached to a swarovski 80 hd and have been getting great results, but i know it won't last forever. is the P7000 a better replacement.

Please check out my blog for some of the results

http://colsdigiscope.blogspot.com/

Attachments

• Waxwing2.jpg
    Waxwing2.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 504
  • Woodchat-Shrike4.jpg
    Woodchat-Shrike4.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 486
  • Kingfisher7.jpg
    Kingfisher7.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 446
I have been digiscoping for about 4 years with my P5100 attached to a swarovski 80 hd and have been getting great results, but i know it won't last forever. is the P7000 a better replacement.

Please check out my blog for some of the results

http://colsdigiscope.blogspot.com/

Nice pics. The P6000 is a better camera than the P7000 for digiscoping but to get the best out of it you need to be able to get the camera lens closer to the eyepiece than the DCA will allow. Works well with the UCA adapter.
Neil.

I took the P7000 out again yesterday . It works ok on the 30x eyepiece using a universal adapter at wide zoom with no vignetting. I like the Continuous Mode on the P7000 and the super sharp screen. The frame rate could be a bit faster though.
Neil

Nikon P7000 and Swarovski STS80HD scope and Sw 30x eyepiece and UCA adapter.

Lamma Island,
Hong Kong,
China.
Jan 2011

Attachments

• chinese bulbul water P7000 iso400 c DSCN6947.jpg
    chinese bulbul water P7000 iso400 c DSCN6947.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 471
  • blue whistling thrush P7000 c DSCN6374.jpg
    blue whistling thrush P7000 c DSCN6374.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 424
  • rufouse tailed robin P6000 DSCN5687.jpg
    rufouse tailed robin P6000 DSCN5687.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 451
  • spotted dove bathe crop P7000 c DSCN6813.jpg
    spotted dove bathe crop P7000 c DSCN6813.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 419
  • rw bulbul water P7000 c DSCN7119.jpg
    rw bulbul water P7000 c DSCN7119.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 409
I took the P7000 out again yesterday . It works ok on the 30x eyepiece using a universal adapter at wide zoom with no vignetting. I like the Continuous Mode on the P7000 and the super sharp screen. The frame rate could be a bit faster though.
Neil

Nikon P7000 and Swarovski STS80HD scope and Sw 30x eyepiece and UCA adapter.

Lamma Island,
Hong Kong,
China.
Jan 2011

Wow, these are great! I can't pick a best as all 5 are stunners. If pushed I would say 1,3 & 5 are particular favourites.

Are these straight out of the camera, or, as I suspect, have you done some pp on these?

Last edited:
Wow, these are great! I can't pick a best as all 5 are stunners. If pushed I would say 1,3 & 5 are particular favourites.

Are these straight out of the camera, or, as I suspect, have you done some pp on these?

Steve,
Not straight out of the camera . They were taken at iso 200/400 ( I set the iso to float up to 400) so need some noise reduction ( I use Colormancer ) after Brightning and Sharpening. They are almost full frame though.
Neil

I've been shooting with the new Kowa lens/scope that I bought in Tokyo 10 days ago. A 95 mm objective lets in lots of light and focusing seems easier too. Here are some digiscoped photos taken last week with the P7000. I do have vignetting with the Kowa eyepieces but am able to crop it out easily.
Neil

Nikon P7000 plus Kowa lens/scope Prominar and Kowa 28x LER eyepiece and Swarovski UCA adapter

Hong Kong,
China.
Feb 2011

Attachments

• blue whistling thrush P7000 kw25x DSCN9273.jpg
    blue whistling thrush P7000 kw25x DSCN9273.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 412
  • gb thrush male imm P7000 kw25x c DSCN9315.jpg
    gb thrush male imm P7000 kw25x c DSCN9315.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 417
  • grey heron P7000 kw25x DSCN9873.jpg
    grey heron P7000 kw25x DSCN9873.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 313
  • hwamai  D7000 kw25x DSCN0401.jpg
    hwamai D7000 kw25x DSCN0401.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 409
  • rw bulbul P7000 kw25x c DSCN9168.jpg
    rw bulbul P7000 kw25x c DSCN9168.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 405
Hi there,

I am newbie with bird watching with a new ATM80HD and new with digiscoping and new with a P7000 - and I have the problem to have vignetting. Do you all live with this problem and cut off the black parts out from the photo? Or don't you have this problem? Should I bring back the camera to shop where I bought it and throw it on their head because they sold me the wrong camera? ;-) Which software do you use to "repair" the photos?

I hope you unterstand what I mean?!

And by the way: I'm also new here on this website. ;-)

Martin

Hi there,

I am newbie with bird watching with a new ATM80HD and new with digiscoping and new with a P7000 - and I have the problem to have vignetting. Do you all live with this problem and cut off the black parts out from the photo? Or don't you have this problem? Should I bring back the camera to shop where I bought it and throw it on their head because they sold me the wrong camera? ;-) Which software do you use to "repair" the photos?

Martin

Martin,

Yes with vignetting and the examples shown here by Neil regarding this camera for Digiscoping should give you idea. I use Nikon Capture NX2 and Picasa to edit my pictures.

Hi there,

Martin

Martin,
Welcome to the website and yes if you can exchange it get the P6000 instead. The P7000 lens is not really suitable for easy digiscoping ( although it is a better camera ) as it retracts too far from the eyepiece when zoomed so the vignetting gets much worse. It will work in wide zoom on the 30x eyepiece ( 20 mm of Eye Relief ) but that only gives you a magnification of around 900 mm.
I get a better range with the Kowa 25x LER eyepiece with has 32mm of ER and I have modified one to work on my Swarovski scope (it will fit without modification surprisingly but you lose infinity focusing ).
I'm going to be testing the Kowa VA3 adapter ( 14x) next week which has 60 mm or ER which is designed for video but may work with the P7000 and P500 but this doesn't help you.
If you only have the zoom eyepiece then look at getting the P6000, the new P300 or Canon SD4000IS , but you will need a universal adapter for the last two.
Let us know how you go,
Neil

Received my new P7000 and took these shot using the 25LER eyepiece on Nikon Fieldscope EDG85 with Nikon FSB-U1 Digiscoping Adapter. Vignetting disappeared at the end of green zone of the Macro mode ;)

Scaly-breasted Munia ~ 8.8mm ISO 100

DSCN0217 Scaly-breasted Munia.jpg

Received my new P7000 and took these shot using the 25LER eyepiece on Nikon Fieldscope EDG85 with Nikon FSB-U1 Digiscoping Adapter. Vignetting disappeared at the end of green zone of the Macro mode ;)

View attachment 317384

Nice Jason.
I've posted some images on the Kowa thread taken with the Kowa TSN VA3 adapter which works well with the P7000 too.
Neil.

Adaptor

Is the p7000 threaded like the P6000 to enable a Nikon adaptor to be screwed on? If so what is the adaptor?

Is the p7000 threaded like the P6000 to enable a Nikon adaptor to be screwed on? If so what is the adaptor?

Steve
You want the nikon UR E22 adapter. But as mentioned this camera won't digiscope with normal eyepieces. You need the Kowa 25x LER eyepiece.
Neil

Steve
You want the nikon UR E22 adapter. But as mentioned this camera won't digiscope with normal eyepieces. You need the Kowa 25x LER eyepiece.
Neil

So it can only be used with a Kowa scope? is there an Opticron lens that would work?

Edit - Is the UR E22 threaded on the end that fits to the scope lens or adaptor.

Last edited:
P7000 & Vignetting on a Fieldscope

View attachment 317384

I've been digiscoping with the Nikon P5100 on the Nikon 82A Fieldscope for several years. I use the FSB-6 Adapter designed for it, and of course there is no vignetting. Now I'm thinking of getting the P7000, but I see a lot of talk on Birdforum about vignetting. Is this mostly a problem with scopes and eyepieces that are not Nikon, or would vignetting be a problem even with the Fieldscope and 30X eyepiece I have.

Also: How does the Nikon FSB-U1 work for you? I've been thinking of getting one, but I don't see too many reviews online. Does the camera stay lined up with the scope pretty well, even after the camera is swung out of the way and back to the eyepiece again?

I've been digiscoping with the Nikon P5100 on the Nikon 82A Fieldscope for several years. I use the FSB-6 Adapter designed for it, and of course there is no vignetting. Now I'm thinking of getting the P7000, but I see a lot of talk on Birdforum about vignetting. Is this mostly a problem with scopes and eyepieces that are not Nikon, or would vignetting be a problem even with the Fieldscope and 30X eyepiece I have.

Also: How does the Nikon FSB-U1 work for you? I've been thinking of getting one, but I don't see too many reviews online. Does the camera stay lined up with the scope pretty well, even after the camera is swung out of the way and back to the eyepiece again?

The FSB-U1 does not swing out 180 degree but only 90 degree to the right. If you are left sight, you won't be able to get the FOV using the eyepiece when you have the FSB-U1 on swing position.

Will test the P7000 with FSB-U1 on my friend's ED82 with DS30x tomorrow to see the level of vignetting ;)

So it can only be used with a Kowa scope? is there an Opticron lens that would work?

Edit - Is the UR E22 threaded on the end that fits to the scope lens or adaptor.

Steve,
The Kowa 25x LER ( Long Eye Relief ) has 32 mm of ER. Way more than most eyepieces , where 18 - 20 is the norm .
As I have mentioned in the other threads I use the 25x LER on the Swarovski scope too ( I have two of them ) as the mounts are very similar ( although the other way around doesn't work unfortunately due to the length of the mount ).
CAVEAT - You do lose INFINTITY FOCUS. Focus distance is about 35 meters.
I can use the Canon G12 with it too which I like a lot.
Neil

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back