• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

capemay new jersy (1 Viewer)

leewee

new hampshire birder/photographer
my brother and i are taking our first birding trip to cape may within the next month or so...i hear its fantastic...anyone witnessed the legendary fall migration in cape may...any pointers, comments, must sees, etc....i want to hear things to get me excited so i dont mind the drive as much...thanks in advance
lee

You will have a great time, try the hidden valley and the hedges/woods further on(Higbees) first thing in the morning then go to the lighthouse and watch off the raptor "grandstand" there are many other places to look.
You could (on your way) try the Edwin Forstythe reserve for shorebirds etc this is a pretty spectacular spot.
Don't be afraid to ask people what they have seen "owt' about?" will often be rewarded with "well yes there's a Wilsons Warbler just round the corner and i saw a Connecticut Warbler in the hidden valley " etc, enjoy yourself its an amazing birding spot.

One of my great wishes is to visit Cape May!

Check out the website for New Jersey Aubudon, which runs the Cape May Bird Observatory -- I'm pretty sure they have a raptor weekend in early October. Know it's always a big deal (means tons of birders as well as birds), with lots of program, great speakers (like Dunn, Kaufmann, Sibley, the Stokes, etc.) -- so you might want to check it out.

Enjoy yourself, and be sure to report back!

Hi leewee,
Check out Brigantine National Wildlife Refuge, exit 48 on Garden State Parkway. Drive south on Route about 6 miles, watch for sign on left. 20,000 acres of coastal marsh, bays, channels, fields, brush. Brig is outstanding for shorebirds in the fall. Check the "book" in the little house by the toilets to see what has been seen, drive the loop that takes you out to the marsh and bisects two large tidal lakes, snow geese, assort. ducks, raptors, loads of shorebirds.

Cape May- Check Cape May Bird Observatory on Lake Drive on Lilly Lake. Check "Birder's Log" for recent sightings, about 2 blocks down is the Lighthouse where all the action is for Hawk Watch. Tallies have been kept since 1976, peak flights are in September-October. 1981 had a total of almost 89,000. That should get you excited! Sharpies dominate the list with a smattering of coopers. Osprey's are seen daily, Merlin and Peregrine coursing through the trees looking for an easy meal.
Make reservations now for a room or you will be spending an hour driving back up north for one. Enjoy your visit.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back