• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falcunculus whitei (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

I disagree with the key that Falcunculus whitei is dedicated to Samuel Albert White (1870-1954). From OD I would conclude Archibald James Campbell honored Henry Luke White (if he was from Belltrees, N.S. W., but it looks like. See here) also mentioned in the key.

Martin,
Many thanks for this. I think I may have been swayed by Whittell, 1954, p. 758, who wrote, "He [S. A. White] ascertained that several species of birds fed largely on this insect [cedar twig-borer] particularly the Crested Shrike-Tit and the Yellow-breasted Robin." However, we cannot gainsay the original dedication! I will now have to review all the Whites!
James

James, either way, at least I think you (and Henry Luke White) are safe on ...

● the subspecies Pilbara Grasswren Amytornis striatus whitei MATHEWS 1910 (here) as "Amytornis whitei":
This form is named in honour of Mr. H. L. White.
He is, as of today, the only Mr. White in my notes and the only one (by this surname) mentioned in my MS (of Common Swedish Bird names), and even there, very briefly, among others, in risk of being removed all together in the end.

Good luck with the other Aussies!

Zoothera aurea

Turdus Whitei indeed for Gilbert White. OD here. On p. 93 is written:

...;on which account we have ventured to propose the specific appellation of Whitei, in memory of one with whom every body is familiar by name, the late Gilbert White, author of "White's Natural History of Selborne," a work which has and will afford many hours amusement and instruction to hundreds, and is deservedly classed among our standard books on British natural history.

It's him.

Conopophila whitei OD here. On p. 139 is written:

I have associated with it the name of his son, Mr. Alfred Henry Ebsworth White, who, although yet young in years, I am informed is worthily following his father's footsteps.

Cyornis banyumas whitei OD here. p. 246:

I propose calling this beautiful bird after Sir Herbert Thirkell White, Lieutenant-Govenor of Burma.

syn. Glycichaera fallax poliocephala (Thephras whitei) OD here. p. 357:

The species which I propose to describe is based on a specimen from a collection made along the south coast of New Guinea at the Aru Islands by the late S. White.; of South Australia.

Last edited:
I have been through the Australian Whites, and the results are now in the Key. Most of Mathews's descriptions contain no dedication, but, from inference and associated texts, Capt. Samuel White is the main recipient. In my search I also discovered a few more synonyms.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back