• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whats the best... (1 Viewer)

yellow_belly

Bird Watcher
Hi - I have a 'modern' small garden which mainly attracts balckbirds and starlings while other people around me who put out the same type of food get more varied visitors. I think that this maybe because I dont have a tree to add any height for the birds to settle on and make sure it is safe to feed. I have therefore just removed a large yucca (about 8-10 ft round) and na**ered myself out doing it - LOL - so I am now looking for a small tree that has winter berries to attract the birds.

One thought I have had is to plant a 'Golden Hornet' (Malus) which has yellow fruits all through the winter but I was wondering if anyone here can suggest anything else that they know will attract the birds, it must be fairly small though say max 10-12 feet high.

Thanks for reading.

Terry

Definately a Rowan!!!!!

I have a small one (12'?) next to my drive & have had Waxwings, Redwings, Mistle Thrush, Blackbird etc...etc....
Can't go wrong with a Rowan!

I agree with Simon C- Rowans have eveything really! Id also suggest Hawthorn , Elder , Firethorn(pyracantha?) and Yew( takes a while to grow though).
Good Luck

seb_seb said:
I agree with Simon C- Rowans have eveything really! Id also suggest Hawthorn , Elder , Firethorn(pyracantha?) and Yew( takes a while to grow though).
Good Luck

Elder......forgotten about them, Not only can you make wine from both the flowers & the berries, but wintering Blackcaps seem drawn to them for some reason (so do passage Lesser Whitethroats actually - had three in my old garden in different years - all in an elderly elder [Pun intended!])

yellow_belly said:
Hi Guys - thanks for the info, I went out today and got a Rowan, dug a hole and (now for the technical bit ?) bunged it in :)

Terry

Bet you can't wait for next winter now ay? ;) As long as you get a good crop of berries you'll get something in it. (even if it is a lone Mistle Thrush that chases every other bird away ;) )

Avoid the elder if possible as you will find it starts growing everywhere that you don't want it to grow and it's a total pain to get rid of when it starts growing in another hedge! :C

Hi all

My neighbours had a rowan in their garden which I had high hopes for ...you know Redwing, Waxwing even Mistle thrush er em starlings!!!! yes thats what ate all the berries giving nothing else a chance. Sadly it has now been chopped down but i am in the middle of planting a crab apple tree so who knows!!!

good luck in your new addition ps has it grown any more???? LOL

Geoff, Elder doesnt seem to be as invasive as you make it out to be! I have two mature ones in my front garden, i have never found any others growing or trying to.(unlike the huge amount if Horse Chestnut seedlings compliment of Squirrel!)

seb_seb said:
Geoff, Elder doesnt seem to be as invasive as you make it out to be! I have two mature ones in my front garden, i have never found any others growing or trying to.(unlike the huge amount if Horse Chestnut seedlings compliment of Squirrel!)

Before we moved out of our old house, the one in our back garden was about 12' high & 6-7' wide and was choking the bottom layers of the Pine tree it was growing underneath! But this is probably because I never cut it back as I liked the birds it attracted!

Seb,

The trouble is we have rich fenland soil in Lincolnshire where I live and elder just thrives in it. As for the horse chestnuts from over the next door neighbours tree springing up everywhere on my lawn I'll leave that to your imagination! Thankfully the lawnmower gets most of 'em.

Good Crop

yellow_belly said:
LOL Sleeper - I can't tell at the moment as its too dark outside, I will have another look in the morning - LOL

Terry
To make sure of a good crop of berries rake some sulphate of potash around the base of the tree in may/june.

Hi All,

Interesting points about what to have, Rowan easily being the leader. Just like to add a couple of criteria and see if people would give me the same or other suggestions.

We live on housing estate, modern garden size (!!!) 20'x10'. 6'-8' Wood fencing all round. Put out bird table (seeds, various leftovers etc), nut holder and seed balls. Little interest except odd robin.

Nothing growing in garden, except few weeds. Ground is very clay(ey?), with bad drainage. Looking at putting in quick coverage and growth which is useful and would attract the birds.

Would something like a Rowan in the corner be a resonable idea (rembering the garden size) or maybe stick to some sort of crawler, or smaller shrubs.

Other important issue. Two young children who believe the garden belongs to them!!!

All suggestions, recommendations, idiots guides, greatly appreciated. Remember to talk in laymans terms (who says I'm thick........).

Thanks
Neil

Last edited:
Neil_EvansUK said:
Hi All,

Interesting points about what to have, Rowan easily being the leader. Just like to add a couple of criteria and see if people would give me the same or other suggestions.

We live on housing estate, modern garden size (!!!) 20'x10'. 6'-8' Wood fencing all round. Put out bird table (seeds, various leftovers etc), nut holder and seed balls. Little interest except odd robin.

Nothing growing in garden, except few weeds. Ground is very clay(ey?), with bad drainage. Looking at putting in quick coverage and growth which is useful and would attract the birds.

Would something like a Rowan in the corner be a resonable idea (rembering the garden size) or maybe stick to some sort of crawler, or smaller shrubs.

Other important issue. Two young children who believe the garden belongs to them!!!

All suggestions, recommendations, idiots guides, greatly appreciated. Remember to talk in laymans terms (who says I'm thick........).

Thanks
Neil

If it helps Neil, I've started this post
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=49977

I'm a complete gardening and birding newbie and not afraid to say I need all the advice I can get.

Keep us posted on what you plant.

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back