• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Indian Days ...a wander to the east (1 Viewer)

Reader said:
I am realy looking forward to those pics. Come on Jos, get posting.

John

Erm, still sorting them out ...one or two thousand to plough through!

Couple to keep you going... both at the mega great Bharatpur - White-breasted Kingfisher and a pair of Sarus Cranes

Attachments

• White-breasted Kingfisher thumb.jpg
    White-breasted Kingfisher thumb.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Sarus Crane thumb.jpg
    Sarus Crane thumb.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 120
corbett

Sussex bird man said:
Anyone got any advice for watching a few of our feathered friends at Corbett NP? I'm off there in March for a few days after a work conference. Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks everyone.

Hi Sussex bird man. I birded Corbet a couple of years ago but a little earlier in the year. Check all the Stonechats around the main camp for Hodgson's Bushchat (maybe some around) .Some of the guides will know more specifically where to look. You have to have a guide as well as a Jeep driver but we changed ours at the camp for one that we discovered who was really into birds. Large-tailed Nightjar is easy around the camp but Savanna harder. I had to run out into the savanna (not allowed) just before dawn to see them, or would just have heard them. Ask about Tawny Fish Owl, there was one roosting where the road crosses the river near Kumeria when we were there. Try and find a Jeep driver who knows about this in Ramnagar ! If like me you're after Streak-throated Woodpecker, don't bother checking all the Grey-headeds in the Sal forest cos it took us a while to discover that they're in the more open stuff. Hope even a bit of this might be useful !

Reader said:
You had to finish your Indian Trip with my blocker bird abroad, Black Shouldered Kite. lol

Just for you John.

PS why does a thumb picture have 'concentric' circles in the sky - original does not!

Attachments

• bk-sh.K thumb.jpg
    bk-sh.K thumb.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
One rather sad thing I've picked up from Jos' great report is the lack of vultures. One of my abiding memories of a trip to Nepal and India in 1996 was lying on a deckchair on the roof of a hostel in New Delhi whilst my gut fauna was involved in some kind of biodiversity explosion. What made it bearable was that overhead were clouds of white storks, black kites and vultures circling around and around. There must have been thousands of birds with a good proportion of them vultures (not sure what species, probably Indian white-backed). Sounds like all these are gone now but hopefully the promised changes to the drugs used on livestock will allow them to return in the fantastic nuumbers I saw.

pica pica said:
One rather sad thing I've picked up from Jos' great report is the lack of vultures.

Of the gyps vultures, I did indeed see very few ...about 8 or so at Rhanthambhore, four at Gir and slightly higher numbers on the Great Rann of Kutch (one flock of aout 16). Need to check my notes, but more or less I saw only about 30 or so on the trip - a tragically low number - and, on top of that, I found two freshly dead vultures.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back