• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird/wildlife locations around kissimee area? (1 Viewer)

Magpie70

We are heading off to sunny Florida in a couple of weeks and I have decided to get up early a few mornings to do a bit of wildlife photography (while the rest of the family are in the land of nod!!).

I don't want to travel too far and was wondering if anyone could recommend good places to go around the Kissimee area to see native birds or any other wildlife.
My time will be quite precious so if you have any tips on where I should be heading towards, to get loads of photos, that would be really appreciated.
Cheers, and thanks for any help, Mark.|=)|

We are heading off to sunny Florida in a couple of weeks and I have decided to get up early a few mornings to do a bit of wildlife photography (while the rest of the family are in the land of nod!!).

I don't want to travel too far and was wondering if anyone could recommend good places to go around the Kissimee area to see native birds or any other wildlife.
My time will be quite precious so if you have any tips on where I should be heading towards, to get loads of photos, that would be really appreciated.
Cheers, and thanks for any help, Mark.|=)|

Back in 1993 I stayed in the Best Western in Kissimee and birded the golf course behind the hotel each morning. Birds were tame and you should get some photo's. Don't know if it is still there

Joan

Mark,
'A Birder's Guide to Florida' by Bill Pranty available from ABA Sales gives several good locations and maps for the Kissimmee / St. Cloud Area. Among these are:
Lake Tohopekaliga (Brinson Park).
East Lake Tohopekaliga.
Disney Wilderness Preserve.
Three Lakes WMA.
Surrounding Prairies.

You might check out the online Great Florida Birding Trail for specific locations and directions.

Mark,
'A Birder's Guide to Florida' by Bill Pranty available from ABA Sales gives several good locations and maps for the Kissimmee / St. Cloud Area. Among these are:
Lake Tohopekaliga (Brinson Park).
East Lake Tohopekaliga.
Disney Wilderness Preserve.
Three Lakes WMA.
Surrounding Prairies.

You might check out the online Great Florida Birding Trail for specific locations and directions.

The Pranty guide is very useful and I would also highly recommend it. While Kissimmee is surrounded by great birding areas, home to species such as Bald Eagles, Caracara and various herons, many sites take a while to get to.

Fortunately the tourist attractions and beaches are home to many wild birds, the majority which are very tame and easy to photograph. Assuming that your family don’t like visiting nature reserves, you could suggest visiting Kennedy Space Centre. Leave them to look at rockets and nip next door to Merritt Island where you should see loads of wildlife such as Alligators, Roseate Spoonbill and Florida Scrub Jay.

If.....

- you really don't want to travel far, and
- time is critical, but
- you want lots of photos, and
- are based in Kissimmee (although that could cover quite an area, given poetic licence)

then the simplest/closest/quickest option is to go to Lakeshore Park in central Kissimmee, followed by a visit to Brinson Park (only a few hundred yards, effectively at the end of Lakeshore Boulevard). These locations are on the north/north-eastern edge of Lake Tohopekaliga.

It certainly isn't the birdiest time of the year, but you should get reasonable (sometimes much more than reasonable) views of -
Snowy/White egrets
Great Blue/Tricolored/Little Blue/maybe Green herons
Roseate Spoonbill (seasonal?)
Limpkin (often numerous, often very close)
Wood Stork
Osprey
Bald Eagle (watch for raptors on the TV tower behind the park)
Monk Parakeets (in the park)
abundant grackles of both species
DC Cormorant
some gulls and some ducks, incl Muscovy
Coot/Moorhen
Red-Shouldered Hawk
(if you're lucky/patient) Snail Kite
some passerines (could be quite a few if you strike it lucky with some migrants, but I wouldn't count on very much)
Vultures over

Watch for kingfishers and maybe Am. White Pelican (could be a bit early for either).

I've seen otters several times around the boat marina/fishing pier.

USE INSECT REPELLENT.

If you have a little more time, carry on south down Canoe Creek Road (SR523, join in at St Cloud, the next place past Kissimmee, more or less) for farmland and prairie species, as well as other waterfront locations. Meadowlarks, shrikes, caracara, bluebirds, Savannah Sparrow, Sandhill Crane, Killdeer, etc.

Hi Mark,

Just arrived back from Orlando this afternoon (and currently enjoying the jet-lag), so hopefully I can provide some useful suggestions.

To cover a few basics up front -

Temperature - it will be hot! This may be a little obvious but it's best to be prepared. Over the last 2 weeks the temp was reaching the low 90's by late morning. I assume you have A/C in your car, but make sure you take plenty of liquid.

Mosquitos - not a major problem but I would suggest you take deet repellent for most birding areas. I didn't use this in some areas and I'm still scratching.

Light - like you, I had great hopes of setting off early in the mornings, before the family arose. However, in practice I was a little disappointed to find that the light is generally not good enough for photography until 7.30 ish. Through trial and error, I found I could reach most places in time for the best light by setting off around 6.30. This meant that for most birding excursions I was out for the whole morning. This gave a pretty wide area of coverage, including the east coast.

Get a Sat-Nav.

Some general observations -

I only birded every few days or so. July/August is not the best time to bird Florida. In general I found passerines to be relatively sparse (commonest being Northern Cardinals, Mockingbirds and Eastern Towhee's), and ducks/waders were largely absent. This said, total bird count was a reasonable 80+ which I was quite satisfied with considering the time of year.

Eagles were absent (I believe they move to the Carolinas at this time).

Belted Kingfishers only seen at Lake Jackson in the Three Lakes WMA.

Birds you will find it difficult to avoid - G-B Herons, Egrets, Anhingas, D-C Cormorants, Vultures, Ospreys, Grackles, Mockingbirds. You should get great photo opportunities at many places.

A few of my most productive / favourite places I would suggest -

Lake Kissimmee State Park. (Head for the picnic area). Some spp found - Yellow-throated Warbler, Carolina Chickadee, Carolina Wren, Tufted Titmouse, Red-bellied and Pileated Woodies.

Mead Garden (in Orlando town). A very diverse park with boardwalks, forest tracks and plenty of small lakes/pools. Key finds - Barred Owl, R-S Hawk, Red-bellied / Pileated Woodpecker, Flicker, Jays.

Orlando Wetlands Park. Key spp - Black-bellied Whistling Duck, Purple Gallinule, R-S Hawk. Only visited this briefly on the way back from Merritt and would have liked a full day there (but, boy, was it hot!).

Merritt Island. Black Point Wildlife Drive - very poor compared with fall/winter, but still worth a visit. Key spp - Roseate Spoonbill, Yellowlegs (few only), Skimmer, Forsters & Royal Terns (and some others still to be ID'd), Brown Pelicans.
Take a trip to Playalinda beach - almost guarenteed of seeing Scrub-Jays shortly after passing the paystation. Stop in a lay-by and take a walk, since parking on the roadside is prohibited.

Lakefront Park in Kissimmee (north end of Lake Toho). Head for the west end of Lakeshore Boulevard by the power station for excellent views of Monk Parakeet. I found Limpkin to be very approachable here also (to within a few feet!).

Boggy Creek (Southport park at south end of Lake Toho). Great airboat rides. Key spp seen here - Snail Kite (only place I saw this sp), Turkeys.

Joe Overstreet Road (Off Canoe Creek Road). Key spp seen here - Eastern Meadowlark, Killdeer, Bobwhite. Hawks.

Gatorland (good day out for the family). Excellent for close up photos of herons and most egrets, vultures and in-flight osprey if you're lucky.

Hope this helps and gives you some useful ideas. As others have suggested, I'd strongly recommend the Pranty guide. You can get this from the ABA web-site, although you may be travelling too soon to receive this in time.

If you want to see my full list, please send me a private mail with your email address and I'll send you lists for the various sites I visited.

Cheers, good birding, and I wish I was coming back with you!

Kevin

Hi Mark,

Boggy Creek (Southport park at south end of Lake Toho). Great airboat rides. Key spp seen here - Snail Kite (only place I saw this sp), Turkeys.

Kevin

Sounds like you had a ball. Interesting that you enjoyed the airboat rides at Boggy Creek. I found the staff rude and ill-informed although I did see a Limpkin and Bald Eagle from the boat. Everything else flew off before we got near!

Gatorland is a good call for close-up birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back