• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is the perfect tripod for an ED50? (1 Viewer)

Hi Michael. Which head did you go for in the end and are you happy with your choice?
Hello, Ron. I got the Velbon PHD 31Q. There was a delay because ffordes first sent me the wrong head, then told me it wasn't in stock but would be by the end of the week—and then it wasn't. So I had to start again but got quick service from fotoSENSE.

Again, I'm still getting to know it, but it seems to do the job pretty well. My only reservation so far is that when I have the handle unscrewed enough to allow both tilt and swivel smoothly, the handle is quite loose and turns rather easily. I don't know if this this is a property of the design or of this model or of my particular sample. I do tend to like very little resistance on tilt and swivel.

Otherwise, the lightness and simplicity is good. I had it out at Musselburgh yesterday (3 lifers!) and it did its job without me thinking much about it. One thing I noticed was that, when centring on a bird and then locking the head before zooming, the single handle design is better. With my old head, by the time I'd locked the tilt and then the swivel, the bird was usually down in the left-hand corner. With this head, one tweak of the handle does the job.

Michael

I use my straight Nikon ED50-20Wx (740 g with quick release plate and original handholding case) with a tripod SLIK SPRINT PRO GM, 4 sections (1,150 kg) and CULLMAN fluid head: a "combo" light and functional, for hour and hours of wildlife watching!
Regards.
Alessandro

Just came back from a quick beach break in Okinawa. Here is my ED50 set up to scope out the beach birds and for some stargazing from the veranda. The Gorillapod never fails to impress me with its versatility and strength even in the face of stiff sea breezes that can have $300 CF tripods dancing a jig. BTW, total weight including scope, MCII zoom, original case w/strap and Gorillapod SLR Zoom tripod with Velbon QR ballhead as pictured = 1.1kg!

Rick

Attachments

• IMG_0295 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_0295 (800x600).jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Great stuff Rick ?

So do you recommend one of them Gorillapods then ? as i am off to Turkey in June and will take the ED50 if the pod is worth it ?

Is the white bits on the pod rubber ? so it will grip anything ?

I have recommended the Gorillapod since I got my ED50 last Summer. Few seem to "get it" though. Why burden the svelt, featherweight ED50 with 3-4x heavier support? The legs are completely flexible and can bend to any position or shape. I never fail to find a tree, rock, bush, or rail to clamp it to during my walkabouts. In a pinch I can bend the legs to support it on my chest or sit on the ground and use my knee.

cheers,
Rick

That's an interesting answer to the problem Rick. It's certainly in keeping with the featherweight nature of the scope, although I'm not sure how I would get on with some of the marshland near me where there are no trees, bushes or anything. It's worth thinking about though. One final question: which model of Velbon ballhead do you use?

Ron

Of course I have encountered a few scenarios when the Gorillapod is NOT ideal. Luckily for me they have been rare enough that I don't regret my choice. The head is the Velbon QHD-41Q.

FWIW, after this trip I think I will ditch the case too and just wrap the scope in some camo tape and attach the strap to the barrel and eyepiece.

cheers,
Rick

It looks an excellent combination for the money Michael. It should work well with the little scope.
I'm very happy with my Slik tripod and now that I've been using it for a while I would recommend it to anyone. When I bought it from Morris Photographic, though, it cost just under £127. Now they're selling it for just under £300! I wouldn't pay that for it—but then I wouldn't pay that for any tripod. However Park Cameras have it for £170.

Michael

I have recommended the Gorillapod since I got my ED50 last Summer. Few seem to "get it" though. Why burden the svelt, featherweight ED50 with 3-4x heavier support? The legs are completely flexible and can bend to any position or shape. I never fail to find a tree, rock, bush, or rail to clamp it to during my walkabouts. In a pinch I can bend the legs to support it on my chest or sit on the ground and use my knee.
I recently bought a Gorillapod, Rick, partly on your recommendation. I absolutely hated it. It quivered like an aspen at the slightest touch. As long as I looked through it without any part of my face touching the eyepiece and without, of course, touching the focusser, I could (just about) use it. But that's not much good.

The idea looks fine on paper: just wrap the Gorillapod round a branch, or whatever, and then watch your bird. But in practice you often only have a few seconds before your bird flies. A tripod can be deployed in that time; a Gorillapod can't.

Also, I found that, when wrapping it round a branch, or whatever, it had a tendency to slip as soon as I tried to look through it. Presumably I didn't have it long enough to get the hang of the wrapping process.

I couldn't wait to send it back. I think I'm going to buy a Velbon Ultra Maxi L instead.

Michael

Hey different strokes Michael! I also use Gorillpods with my SLR cameras so perhaps that experience has let me become more adept at using them. Plus, the ED50 is so lightweight and small I have also worked out a pretty good hand-holding techinique for those scenarios where time is not a luxury to get set up on a rock, tree, etc.

Being over 6ft tall, there are really no tripod solutions that work for me that weigh-in under 2kg. I'll take my Canon 18x50 IS before I lug around a 2kg support for a 450g optic!

Hope the Velbon works for you. The important thing is to have fun and enjoy yourself!

cheers,
Rick

I'm on Rick's side of the fence on this - I don't use a tripod with my ED50 either. Instead of a gorillapod, though, I use a Cullmann Shoulderpod - on a strap over my shoulder. With my straight-body ED50 and the 20x eyepiece, it's absolutely wonderful in close situations - I can be on the warbler or woodpecker directly overhead before a tripod's even got 1 leg ready! It'll also fold out into a hidepod - standing on the shelf inside a hide and staying reasonably steady.

Ha Ok! My wife sent me on a mission to find her a lightweight tripod for her Canon SX1. Had to weigh no more than ~1kg and be under 40cm folded. Lucky to have several "big box" camera stores here with a few hundred tripods on display from all the major makers so I could get some hands on time with all possible candidates.

Came home with the Velbon Ultra Maxi F for about ~US$80. The Maxi F is an older version of the current Maxi L. Only difference is color. Looks like it will work great with the ED50 for visual use too even for ~6'2" tall (187cm) guys like me (almost fully extended)! Weighs just 0.99kg and is only 36cm tall when folded.

Also checked out the big brother Velbon Ultra Luxi L but it was~ 400g heavier with a silly big dual handle head. The big head and thicker, longer legs might be better for digiscoping with the ED50 though. I agree with Kevin that it might be the low cost ideal with a different head.

Only other tripod I saw that was comparable was a Benro Travel Angel A-069MB with B-OO head but is 2.5x more expensive and 16cm shorter. Plus the 5 section legs would be a PITA to set up/take down. That B-OO ballhead was pretty sweet though.

What I like about the Ultra Maxi:
Small profile when packed. Very fast single motion twist lock leg extensions. Twist lock panhandle to quickly lock on targets. The 4-way panhead also lets the angled ED50 simulate the moveable prism section of other scopes to accomodate most comfortable eye position without adjusting the tripod height.

What I don't like.
Nothing yet. But the twist lock legs are certainly thin and may not hold up long term from repeated open/close cycles.

cheers,
Rick

I bought a Manfrotto 785B Modo maxi today, so watch this space. First impressions seem very good.I tried it in a Hide, and it was great, but the benches were free, but, moving them to a "fixed" position, the tripod worked very well in the vertical with the legs just a few inches apart, and of course fully extended over the seat.
My idea, is I hope that it will become a one fit all device, when we go all day birding, unless spending all day in one hide, and using my hide mount, or of course if a heavy duty tripod is needed, say a few hours at a lake side.

I just got a Nikon ED50 straight,and started to play with it a couple days ago..I was going to sell it,because i got it in a trade,and wanted some $$$,..but i dont think so!!!..I own a couple of tripods already ,and of course want a lightweight tripod to make the comb super-portable,but for now,I am using my LARGE Slik 700DX with a bogen 3126 classic fluid head..I mean,is an overkill!!.. but I love the steady feeling...I think the ED50 is the ultimate digiscoping beast!!!!more later..

How I wish the ED82 is less than 1kg, so that would be the ultimate scope for digiscoping and I did not have to get the ED50 for longer walk in the rainforest !

Are you guys satisfied with the 30x (i assume most of you ed50 users opt to use that eyepiece)? I often have use for my 50x+ on my swarovski.

Wrong thread for e.p.'s I guess, but I only have the 13/40 Zoom, and would not be without it. I use the 13x a lot, and then zoom in. 13x is a very nice mag.

I have recommended the Gorillapod since I got my ED50 last Summer. Few seem to "get it" though. Why burden the svelt, featherweight ED50 with 3-4x heavier support?

An ED50 w/ EP weighs 24 oz (1 1/2 lb.)
My Benro Carbon Tripod and Ballhead weigh 46 oz (2 7/8 lb)

That's 1.92:1, not 3:1 or 4:1

It also allows me to use the scope anywhere, even in the middle of an open wet field. It also allows me to do this repeatedly over and over, quickly, without breaking down a setup. The tripod also supports my camera and allows me to hang items from the hook on the bottom of the center column, keeping them off the ground as well. Having the scope on a tripod also allows me to park the scope whenever without concern of finding a suitable place, freeing both hands to use my bins.

I'm glad you've found a good solution for yourself but I've looked at and handled a Gorillapod and can't imagine it being of much use to me.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back