• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

which one of these should i pick (1 Viewer)

Beetroot Joe

Hi folks, im just about to jump into digiscoping. i've got a limited budget and i cant afford an ED scope. i'm trying to decide between the following 3. any help would be greatly appreciated.
1. Olivon T-80
2. Olivon T-64
3. Opticron IS60WP

does the scope diameter i.e. 80mm or 60mm make that much difference, i know the bigger it is the more light it lets in, but would the 20mm between 60 and 80 make that much difference.

Thanks folks
Dean

I am not into digiscoping but Astroscoping. Olivon are not well known outside of Canada. All the scopes you mentioned are not ED scopes, meaning it will produce high CA. I understand your budget constrain but you will not stick with it for long having to use PS to improve the CA .

Why don't you look for an used ED Scope which would cost about same as a new non ED scope. Or you can get an used non ED scope and sell it off when you have the budget without any significant loss especially with the current economy. An objective of 60mm are too small for comfortable scoping. The 20mm would do wonders with focusing and viewing.

I haven't tried Olivon scopes myself but they don't look too impressive the picture quality doesn't seem to match its price tag.

It would help you a lot more if you told us your budget that way some people can come along and might suggest better scopes than the olivons if you want.

and yes the 20mm difference is big. the 80mm version would give 50% brighter images than the 60mm

I have also noticed the choice of eyepiece can make as big a difference as ED vs Non ED scope. Most beginners start with a 20-60 zoom as I did, finally after years I switched to a 21x fixed eyepiece on a good Non ED scope and could not believe the difference. The fixed isn't popular with beginners but makes all the sense in the world for taking pictures, most compact cameras with 3x zoom will give you all the magnification anyone needs.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back