• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus PL3 for Leica APO Televid 82mm (1 Viewer)

vdrtol

Recently, I have bought an OLympus PL3 with the Zuiko 14-42 RII kit lens, and a Zuiko 45 mm f/1.8 lens. I use the Swarovski DCA adapter to connect the camera with the telescope.
In the store I have also tried the Nikon V1, but the 10-30 mm kitlens showed, handheld, thus without a stepping ring on the adapter, still some vignetting at 30 mm.

So I bought the Olympus, without electronic viewfinder and an electronic cable release. The camera shows no vignetting from about 28 mm - till 42 mm. It has a real fast focus. The camera delivers decent pictures at least up to 640 ISO. In my opinion the high speed burst in RAW of 5.1 fps is more than enough. The LCD display can be tilted, which is always an advantage for digiscoping. With the Leica D-lux 4 it was due to vignetting impossible to zoom the telescope. With the PL3 it is possible to zoom the telescope in stead of the kit lens,

I have attached some first results. First picture is a Mute swan, with the telescope at about 40X. Second picture is a Black-headed Gull, telescope at 25X and third picture is a Island Gull with the telescope at about 35X

Attachments

• Knobbelzwaan120308_3110118.jpg
    Knobbelzwaan120308_3110118.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 296
  • kokmeeuw120308_1010257.jpg
    kokmeeuw120308_1010257.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 281
  • Kleineburgemeester120311_3110044.jpg
    Kleineburgemeester120311_3110044.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
Excellent work. It looks like the camera/scope combination works very well. Looking forward to seeing more of your pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Very nice photos. I'm glad to see that you are having success with the Olympus camera and the 14-42 RII lens with DCA. I have the new Olympus OM-D E-M5 camera on pre-order and I will initially be trying it with the same lens on my Swaro ATS 80HD. It is also interesting that you are making the Swaro DCA work on the Leica scope. Great job!
--Dave

Today it was really beautiful weather in the Netherlands. A great opportunity to test the Olympus PL3 on the Leica APO Televid 82 mm, with the Swaro DCA adapter.
The Black-tailed Godwits were very cooperative. I took also some pictures of an Eurasian Wigeon an a House Sparrow. All pictures with the telescope on about 25X. The PL3 was set on ISO200 and all pictures were made in RAW. The RAW images were very clean, without considerable noise.

Marcel

Attachments

• grutto120321_3210072.jpg
    grutto120321_3210072.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 244
  • grutto120321_3210142.jpg
    grutto120321_3210142.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 302
  • smient120321_3210185.jpg
    smient120321_3210185.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 274
  • huismus120321_3210208.jpg
    huismus120321_3210208.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 251
Today it was really beautiful weather in the Netherlands. A great opportunity to test the Olympus PL3 on the Leica APO Televid 82 mm, with the Swaro DCA adapter.
The Black-tailed Godwits were very cooperative. I took also some pictures of an Eurasian Wigeon an a House Sparrow. All pictures with the telescope on about 25X. The PL3 was set on ISO200 and all pictures were made in RAW. The RAW images were very clean, without considerable noise.

Marcel

Lovely images Marcel.
Did you need to modify the DCA adapter for the Leica eyepiece?
Neil

@Neil

Neil,

There is a bit to much space left between the adapter and the eyepiece, comparable with the 30x eyepiece of Swarovski. But it can be fixed tight enough. The zoom of the eyepiece can still be used.

Marcel

Gorgeous images vdrtol.

I am searching for an upgrade to my present camera and am now considering tho Olympus pen cameras.

I have tried the Nikon 1 V1 on my ATM80HD with DCA and have found the combination to be unsatisfactory due to the fact that the weight of the camera-lens combination causes the zoom to collapse. Have you encountered a similar problem in your experience with the Olympus 14-42 kit lens?

Also, hello Neil, and thanks again for your earlier comments on the V1.

Last edited:
The 14-42 mm zoom also tends to collapse a bit on my (angled view) telescope. But not more than to about 38 mm (if really necessary it is possible to fix the zoom manually on 42 mm without introducing much camera shake). That's why I also bought a 45 mm fixed lens. But I haven't used this 45 mm lens much because I prefer to be able to play with the zoom, especially with larger birds on close distances.

Thanks...

I think I will hold back a while to see if any of the camera manufactures will come out with a camera that is fully suitable for digiscoping. I'm not counting on that, however, for reasons that you and I could probably easily guess.

Marcel,
what about vignetting of the Zuiko 45 mm f/1.8 lens on your leica scope ? I know you prefer the olympus 14-42 IIR lens, but I digiscope over greater distances and am interested in the former lens. actually I use the canon s100 on the same leica scope as you.

best wishes,
andreas

Up to now I haven't seen any vignetting with the 45 mm lens. The picture of this woodpecker was made with the 45 mm lens.

woodpecker.jpg

thanks marcel...

i am waiting for the E-PL5, which has a 16 mpixel sensor but unfortunately not a higher resolving screen, albeit improved swivel.

best wishes,
andreas

Excellent photo's !
Curious on P&S cameras for digiscope. Is there some list of current P&S with remote shutter other than IR shutter.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back