• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eponyms in German journals (1 Viewer)

Mitteilungen aus dem Zoologischen Museum in Berlin

James, here´s three of the missing ones of those Mitteilungen aus dem Zoologischen Museum in Berlin …with some small additional info:

● "1931 Pinicola enucleator stschur Portenko, 17, p. 422" … is found in: Portenko, L [= Portenko, Leonid Aleksandrovich (1896-1972) a k a Портенко Леонид Александрович]. 1931. Einige neue Unterarten paleärktischer Vögel. Mitteilungen aus dem Zoologischen Museum in Berlin 17 (3): 415-423. (attached, pp. 415 & 422-423)
… as solved by "mb1848" and Laurent in Post No. #12-14, well done!)

● "1931 Xanthotis subfrenata kingwalip Mayr, 17, p. 663" … is found in: Mayr, E. 1931. Die Vögel des Saruwaged- und Herzoggebirge (NO-Neuguinea). Mitteilungen aus dem Zoologischen Museum in Berlin 17 (5): 639-723. (Attached, p. 663 & 664)
= "(Kingwalip ist der Name des Vogels in der Hupe-Sprache (Ogeramnang))."

… meaning: "Kingwalip is the name on [these?] birds in the "Hupe" [?] Language, [in the Village] Ogeramnang"*Voila!

*"Dorfe Ogeramnang (1785 m)", in North Eastern Papua New Guinea, mentioned in the Introduction of the same article, where the type was collected, in the Spring, between the 21st of March and the 1st April, of 1929].

● "1937 Uria lomvia eleonorae Portenko, 22, p. 227" … is found in: Portenko, L [as above]. 1937. Einige neue Unterarten palearktischer Vögel. Mitteilungen aus dem Zoologischen Museum in Berlin 22 (2): 219-229. (first page attached)
... see Michael's Post No. #19. (Well found, Michael!) … "I name it in honor of my daughter, who was born on a steamboat in the Bering Sea".

If born at the same time as the bird was discovered she was born in 1902. And (here I´m only speculating); could her maiden name possibly, maybe have been Elena (transformed alt. latinized to Eleonora) Portenka?

Who knows?

Attachments

• Portenko 1931 - p. 415.jpg
    Portenko 1931 - p. 415.jpg
    496.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Portenko 1931 - p. 422-423.jpg
    Portenko 1931 - p. 422-423.jpg
    670 KB · Views: 84
  • Mayr 1931 - p. 663.jpg
    Mayr 1931 - p. 663.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Mayr 1931 - p. 664.jpg
    Mayr 1931 - p. 664.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Portenko 1937 - p. 219.jpg
    Portenko 1937 - p. 219.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Mitteilungen aus dem Zoologischen Museum in Berlin II

And here´s the the last one!

● "1940 Passer rutilans lisarum Stresemann, 24, p. 72" = … p. 172, is found in: Stresemann, E. & G. Heinrich. 1939 [1940*]. Die Vögel des Mount Victoria: Ein Beitrag zur Ornithologie von Burma. Mitteilungen aus dem Zoologischen Museum in Berlin 24 (2): 151-264. Included in this 114 pages long article is 104 pages of "Systamatischer und Biologischer Teil" (Systematic and Biological Part) by Stresemann and Heinrich, starting on p.160 (attached) in which the type description is found on p. 172 (attached).

(*… that could have been published, issued in 1940? I don´t know.)

= No explicit dedication from what I can see but it could (maybe?) have something to do with a possible nickname "Lisa" for either one of Gerd Heinrich's loved ones; the two sisters Annaliese and Liselotte Machatchek (first wife resp. mistress): who both (!) participated in the same expedition to Burma in 1937-38. Quite an unusual (and very indulgent) crew in that Era! (Excerpt of Introduction also attached).

To understand the introduction by Streseman it could be worth to mention that Gerd Heinrich married (his first wife) Anneliese Machatchek in November 1824, but the marriage "cooled down" (according to his son Bernd Heinrich's Book The Snoring Bird, 2008), and in 1827 Gert started to have an affair with her sixteen-year-old sister Liselotte Machatchek (called "Lotte"), who then became his "wife", but they never got married (as told by Stresemann). It is quite odd that Stresemann seemingly mixed up the girls, since he knew them all well, being a life-long friend of the Heinrich's. Althought this much be said; it´s far from easy keeping track of Heinrich's love life!

Do we in this lisarum, maybe, see a guilty conscience here, from the egocentric lady's man Gerd Heinrich!? Nicknames was far from unusual in his crowd.

Note: this is pure speculation of mine, here I´m simply thinking out loud. I have nothing to support this suggestion. It could, instead, have a much more obvious explanation … that I just haven´t figured out yet.

Anyhow; now you got all your missing Mitteilungen aus dem Zoologischen Museum in Berlin!

I hope you can figure out the etymologies!

Good luck!

PS. Gerd Heinrich would later swap both the Machatchek sisters for Hildegarde (she was called both "Hilde" and "Hilda" in the family). For that certain couple see thread Mr. & Mrs. Heinrich in Heinrich's Birds.

Attachments

• Stresemann & Heinrich 1939 - p.151.jpg
    Stresemann & Heinrich 1939 - p.151.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 124
  • Stresemann & Heinrich 1939 - p.152-153.jpg
    Stresemann & Heinrich 1939 - p.152-153.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 117
  • Stresemann & Heinrich 1939 - p.154-155.jpg
    Stresemann & Heinrich 1939 - p.154-155.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 124
  • Stresemann & Heinrich 1939 - p.160.jpg
    Stresemann & Heinrich 1939 - p.160.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Stresemann & Heinrich 1939 - p.172.jpg
    Stresemann & Heinrich 1939 - p.172.jpg
    496.6 KB · Views: 84
There is a dedication:

Gewidmet den drei fleiβigen Helferinnen, von deren geschickter Unermüdlichkeit 4000 schöner Bálge der Burma-Expedition ein beredtes Zeugnis ablegen.

Named after the three hardworking helpers (fem.), etc.

So Stresemann talks about three women, Lisa and Anneliese could be two of them.

Theo

Well found, Theo!

All 3 mentioned on page 1 of the same artcle ... see attachment.

Cheers!

PS. "Machatchek" is the spelling Bernd Heinrich (Gerd's Son) use in his Book The Snoring Bird, 2008 (all about his own life and family) and I think he ought to know ...

Last edited:
So Stresemann talks about three women, Lisa and Anneliese could be two of them.
In the Eintleitung (first scan in post #22), Stresemann says that Heinrich was accompanied by the two ladies who already took part in the 1930-1932 Celebes expedition, namely "Frau Liselotte Heinrich" and her sister "Fraülein Anneliese Machatschek" (he would indeed seem to have interchanged the two first names here), and that the staff was completed by one "Fraülein Lotte Heinrich". The latter is however called "Marlis" instead of "Lotte" by Collar 2009, who adds that she was Gerd's niece. (Incidentally, Collar also calls Anneliese "Annaliese", and spells Machatschek "Machatchek".)
So the three "Lisa's" of lisarum would be Anne/Annaliese, Liselotte, and Marlis.
(Maybe only nicknames were familiar to Stresemann...? This could explain the mixture of first names in the paper to some extent.)

Last edited:
Thus:
Zu S. 151, erster Absatz: Der Verfasser bedauert, die Vornamen der 3 "Lisarum", deren aufopfernde Tatigkeit den ausgezeichneten Erfolg dieser Expedition ermöglicht hat, in der Einleitung, durcheinandergebracht zu haben. Sie lauten in Wirklichkeit : Frau Anneliese Heinrich, Fräulein Lieselotte Machatschek, Fräulein Marlis Heinrich.
"On page 151, first paragraph: The author regrets to have mixed up, in the Introduction, the first names of the 3 "Lisarum", whose self-sacrificing work made the excellent success of this expedition possible. In reality they are named: Mrs. Anneliese Heinrich, Miss Lieselotte Machatschek, Miss Marlis Heinrich."

Now, that's fully explicit, I think.

Encouraged by the response to my original thread I list the remaining few eponyms/epithets in German/Austrian journals currently unresolved. Any comments, explanations, copies of the journals/papers, or suggestions will be gratefully received and acknowledged on HBWAlive Key.
Abhandlungen und Verhandlungen des Naturwissenschaftlichen Vereins in Hamburg
1958 Pternistis afer chio Meise, n.f., 2 (1957), pp. 63+
1958 Megabyas flammulatus carolathi Meise, n.f., 2 (1957), p. 75
Beiträge zur Gattungssystematik der Vögel
1949 Carduelis mozambica magdalenae Wolters, p. 13
Beiträge zur Neotropischen Fauna. Jena.
1965 Geositta cunicularia georgei Koepcke, 4 (3), p. 154
Falco. Unregelmässig im Anschluss an das Werk Berajah. Zoogeographia Infinita. Halle.
1938 Accipiter koeneni Kleinschmidt, 34, p. 5
1939 Larus argentatus drosti Kleinschmidt, 35, p. 55
1940 Tyto alba hauchecornei Kleinschmidt, 36, p. 59
Gefiederte Welt. Darmstadt.
1870 Spermestes haldi Russ, 44, p. 466
Mitteilungen über die Vogelwelt. Stuttgart.
1920 Florisuga mellivora speideli Floericke, 19, p. 3
1921 Otus bakkamoena linae Floericke, p. 103
Mitteilungen des Österreichischen Reichsbundes für Vogelkunde und Vogelschutz in Wien.
1902 Passer petronius idae Floericke, 2, p. 100
Ornithologischer Anzeiger.
2004 Lesbia gouldii aureliae Weller & Schuchmann, 43, p. 128

Abhandlungen und Verhandlungen des Naturwissenschaftlichen Vereins in Hamburg
1958 Pternistis afer chio Meise, n.f., 2 (1957), pp. 63+
[GoogleBook snippet view]
"6. Chio (nahe der Küste südlich des Cuanza) und Barro do Dande:
Pternistis afer chio nova subsp."
= "Chio (near the coast south of the Cuanza) [GoogleMap] and Barro do Dande"
1958 Megabyas flammulatus carolathi Meise, n.f., 2 (1957), p. 75
[GoogleBook snippet view]
"Benannt zu Ehren von G. PRINZ SCHÖNAICH-CAROLATH, der unermüdlich mit Rat und Tat die Forschungen im Kaffeewald und im Urwalddickicht gefördert hat."
= "Named in honour of G. PRINCE SCHÖNAICH-CAROLATH, who has tirelessly promoted with help and advice the research in coffee forest and in jungle thicket."

Last edited:
Gefiederte Welt. Darmstadt.
1870 Spermestes haldi Russ, 44, p. 466
Well, since the first issue of Gefiederte Welt was published in 1872 something is obviously wrong … and Voila!

The "haldi" and Gefiederte Welt 44, is found in Jahrgang 8 1879: pp. 466-467. With some sort of dedication. .. "Herr X Hald in Hamburg" .. that requires German far beyond my league! Link to full volume (here)

Cheers!

PS. Also see The Ibis 1880 (here).

PPS. The same E. Hald also comments on his "own" Hald's Amandine in the next issue of Gefiederte Welt 1880 (here)

Last edited:
"Herr X Hald in Hamburg" .. that requires German far beyond my league!
"Herr E. Hald" (see eg this).

"und gerade in dieser Zeit sandte mir Herr E. Hald in Hamburg, einen hierhergehörigen Vogel, den anderweitig aufzufinden mir nicht gelungen ist; Ich gebe daher seine Beschreibung als eine wahrscheinlich bisher noch nicht bekannte Art."
= "and just at this time Herr E. Hald sent me from Hamburg a bird that belongs here, the further identification of which is to me not successful; I therefore give its description as a probably not yet known species."

...and at the end of the text:
"Herr Hald had ihn, leider nur in einem Kopfe, unter anderen soeben vom Schiffe angekommenen ostindischen Vögeln bei Fräulein Hagenbed gefunden und gekauft. Die nähere Heimat liess sich leider nicht feststellen."
= "Herr Hald found and bought it at Fräulein Hagenbed's, unfortunately only in a "kopfe", among other East-Indian birds just arrived from ships. The more precise homeland could unfortunately not be determined."
(not sure about the meaning of "kopfe" here; usually this means "head" but--unless I completely misunderstand the text--this makes no sense here. The description covers the song and courtship, hence the bird was indeed alive, as stated in the Ibis reference cited by Björn here above.)

Last edited:
Laurent and Björn,
As usual overwhelmed by your welcome and prompt responses.
Laurent, your remark about aureliae is worth quoting.
Doubtless Prinz Schönaich-Carolath can be found in Gotha Almanac.
I suspect Herr E. Hald was a plumassier who bought a job lot (this is how I would translate Kopfe) from Hagenbed's.

...and at the end of the text:
"Herr Hald had ihn, leider nur in einem Kopfe, unter anderen soeben vom Schiffe angekommenen ostindischen Vögeln bei Fräulein Hagenbed ..."
= "Herr Hald found and bought it at Fräulein Hagenbed's, ... "
... from Hagenbed's.

Isn´t that "Hagenbeck's" ...!? ;)

See attached add, from Gefiederte Welt.

Attachments

• Fräulein Hagenbeck .jpg
    Fräulein Hagenbeck .jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Regarding "Passer petronius idae" FLOERICKE 1902 …

James, yesterday it was Sunday and I had some spare time to look at your list of missing German Journals …

And even if I still cannot find the second issue of Mitteilungen des Österreichischen Reichsbundes für Vogelkunde und Vogelschutz in Wien itself ... I found this one (here)! It looks like some kind of reprint?! … where the same Mr. Floericke explain (on page 73).

= the Austrian Vogelschutz-something (bird life protector?) "… hoch verdienten Frau …" ("well deserved") Mrs. Ida Boyer.

Or at least that is what I (with my meager understanding of German) think it says!? Please (anyone) correct me if I´m wrong. Here we need someone with far better German skills, who can read those ever present Fraktur's.

Whomever she was I do not know.

Cheers!

PS. Was she maybe the wife of Karl Boyer who worked with Floericke in 1901? Both Karl Boyer and Curt Floericke was or had been editors of the same Mitteilungen des Österreichischen Reichsbandes für Vogelkunde und Vogelschutz in Wien.

However: Good luck on any further attempts tracing her!

Last edited:
It says:
Ich benenne diese hübsche subspecies, durch welche die Zahl der Steinsperlingsformes auf 9 erhöht werden würde, zu Ehren der um die Vogelschutzbewegung in Österreich so hoch verdienten Frau Ida Boyer.
...which would be more or less "I name this nice subspecies, by which the number of Rock Sparrow forms would be taken up to 9, in honour of Mrs Ida Boyer, so highly deserving for the bird protection movement in Austria."
PS. Was she maybe the wife of Karl Boyer who worked with Floericke in 1901?
Seems to be a good bet: in 1913, they lived at the same address.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back